ED XR Conversion - headlight baffles 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ED XR Conversion - headlight baffles
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

After thinking of what to do with my ED I have had for years now, I decided to keep her and have some fun with it....$$$$$ later and I am starting to wonder if it worth it....Hopefully just some teething problems that soon sort themselves out. Now for the problem I need help with...

I got brand new XR lights, grille, indicators, wiring harness, grille mounting brackets, what I thought would be all that was required, and all I was told would be needed.

My car is currently at paint and being put back together with the old headlights back in it, as I do not the 'headlight baffles' required to fill the gap between each headlight and the XR grille piece.

Part is obsolete from Ford, and not in stock anywhere Aust. wide, or so I am told. Rare spares are trying to locate a set for me, but I am not holding my breathe at this stage. As for the wreckers that mission impossible if ever I have seen one.

Has anyone else encountered the same or similar problems, and if so how did they get around it??

No one has been able to tell me whether it is a plastic or a rubber baffle, so if someone can help me there too that would be great. Also if anyone knows where such a thing could be made up once I know what it is made from.....

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

What headlight baffles, can you post up a pic... all i have to do is walk outside and look at my ED XR6 and see if it has any

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

not sure what you mean either the headlights have their mounting bracket and the grill meets against that doesnt it, i have a wrecked xr8 ed might have part if you can show a pic of it

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

EXACTLY what i said!!

I havent seen it yet, and as far as I know it is going back together as it went into the paint shop. I have been supplied with two right hand side grille mounts as well, so it no use today now anyway. Painters looking after me cause it not as I wanted it today and then I will play around with it on Monday when traders get me the left hand side mount.

So no pic yet.

The baffle exists as I have the part number from Ford, but curious how many actually have the baffle on them anyways?? Read a heap of other posts on here and all no one every mentions needing them.....

Apparently it stops light reflecting down in under the bumper bar and acts to keep the lights sitting square in the light recess.

Starting to think my painter has put it in the to hard basket on a Friday arvo as well....... But not like the lights and grille are hard to get out.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

emjay - if you have a set I would be more than interested at this point in time.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

PM Sent adelaide_ed

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

is that the black rubber ring between the headlights and the grill bit?

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

That would be the sucker. Since heard this arvo they mainly prevent the light beam straying into and under the bumper bar. Still wouldnt mind them though if going to the effort I am with the car.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

I dont have em when i converted my ED GLi to the ED XR front. Oh and i got a new bonnet latch aswell. All the wires plugged straight into everything, no cutting etc, and all works fine.
And i checked on mine and theres next to no light stray from my headlights, maybe the tiniest bit, but hell not enough to justify spending the money to get these baffles.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

whats the difference in the bonnet catch?

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Its angled slightly higher so you unlatch it through the grill, rather than under the grill on normal/lesser Falcon.
Since the grill is part of the bonnet on lesser Falcon, it raises slightly when you pull the release, allowing you to access the catch. If you dont have the XR Catch, it makes it alot harder to access, since the grill doesnt move on them.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Last edited by Sturmovik on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

needs to be bent up slightly, with a normal bonnet you reach under bottom grille, with xr headlights the grille is fixed so it needs to sit slightly higher

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

i've got a normal falcon one on my xr bonnet and i find it fine.My bonnet is fibreglass but the catch is a standard falcon.

Post subject: Cheers
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cheers to all of those that got back to me so quickly yesterday. Much appreciated. New grille mounts should be in on Monday and then fingers crossed it just a matter or swapping them over now with minimal fuss.

As far as the baffles go, it seems most have either lost them over the years or never even heard of them. A local wrecker has 3 but won't part with them as he wants to leave them glued to his 'broken' 3 light hole grille. So will put it together and see what they look like. Checked out one in shop car park this morning, and I couldnt see them sitting between the lights and grille so cant see it being a big deal now I have seen it for myself as opposed to being told by the painter.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR8 Sprint

VIC, Australia

Hmm. My Sprint does not have them..
Prob lost over the years and various owners...

I dont have any issues...

'94 ED XR8 Sprint

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next