Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: ef?el bonnet grille mod??
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the ef fairmont grill (not the el ghia) just the standard ef fairmont grill... the grey part that surrounds the ford badge is plastic.. "somone here" mentioned that the eL fairmont (not ghia) u could polish the grey paint back to a shiny mettalic chrome look... is this true?? n has anybody done this?? because i either want to modify one or buy the EL fairmont ghia grille for a lil retro tech.. cheers... :wink:

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

You mean the grey insert on the EL Fairmont grill right? From the close up photo on ozeparts.com.au it looks plastic to me, just like the insert on the EF Fairmont grill.

I today started rubbing back the paint on a spare EF Fairmont grill surround, because I would like a chrome grill surround. As you can see I've tried to see if it would work by polishing it but there are swirls. So now I'm going to have to get someone to chrome it. Sorry to hijack, but anyone know where I could get this chromed in Brisbane?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:04 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

the grille insert on ef fairmonts is pastic. and im 99% sure the inside of the grille on el fairmonts is plastic too.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thats what i thoght too... it was just mentioned o me n i thought i would run it past u guys here.. suppose takig the plastic insert out of my ef fairmont grille (white) n spraying it with the spray can chrome... would that be "pov"?? would it turn out ok or would it go the dull chrome that the spray can "chromes" tend to go?? who when n where could u get it dipped in the real chrome stuff?? that actauly adds /coates the desired item in chrome?? i dont mind the eL ghia grille.. not too sure bout the fairlane grille though..do they both just bolt on without modifying the eF fairmont bonnet/grille??

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

yeah the fairlane ones do bolt on. take ur old one off and bung the new one on.

there are ef ghias getting around that have the grille chromed. i think you could get them facotry like that, but they chip really badly and end up looking crap.

ive got the black one i took outta my ghia, swapped it for the fairmont grey one as i think it looks better. might havea play around with the black one if i can find some of this paint.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah as mash85 said, straight swap. But I think the Fairlane grill is too big for anything other than a Fairlane personally. And I also think the EL Fairmont grill is slightly too large for the Fairmont too.

Would be great to find an EF grill in chrome, but I think they are mighty rare. I would love to chrome mine up, but not sure how to go about it?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hhmmm chromed from the factory.. think ive seen them passing by but ive never seen 1 up close.. wander if u had it chromed would it chip like the factory ones? or is the "chipping" happening when u "SPRAY" it chrome?? when i compare the grilles off the ef /el fairmont pics in this thread my verdict is.... the ef fairmont grille looks tougher.. n the eL ghia grille looks classier..

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:27 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

i dont think its chipping so much, i think its more just sorta flakeing away. doesnt seem to be very durable as ive never seen one that was mint. i think if you sprayed it, it wouldnt flake away. the problem would be getting a paint that doesnt just look like you've sprayed it on, would look a bit tacky.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
i dont think its chipping so much, i think its more just sorta flakeing away. doesnt seem to be very durable as ive never seen one that was mint. i think if you sprayed it, it wouldnt flake away. the problem would be getting a paint that doesnt just look like you've sprayed it on, would look a bit tacky.

Well what about these places that chrome stuff, how much would that cost I wonder?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Mash85 wrote:

Well what about these places that chrome stuff, how much would that cost I wonder?
im also wandering with ya til lind... (as continues the never ending list of mods)

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:35 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

buggered if i know. personally i dont think it would look that good chromed anyway. the mesh idea your playing with would looks heaps better imo

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Im thinking about cutting the middle out of my elmontghia's grille and getting some black chrome mesh with the ford badge set in the middle might photoshop something up n post it tomorrow get some feedback.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
buggered if i know. personally i dont think it would look that good chromed anyway. the mesh idea your playing with would looks heaps better imo

Well I didn't do it in the photoshop because I can't pull it off. But the mesh bit was always meant to go with a chrome grill surround.

gryph wrote:
Im thinking about cutting the middle out of my elmontghia's grille and getting some black chrome mesh with the ford badge set in the middle might photoshop something up n post it tomorrow get some feedback.

Yeah I'd like to see how that could look.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:11 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

yeah wouldnt mind seeing how a few of these mesh ones go. wish i could get my hands on an fbt one, id kill for an fbt one. please marge, let me kill for an fbt one!

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

the EL Ghia chrome around the outside is a proper coating, its quite thick and generally won't chip, if the grills damaged then it might flake off but its pretty strong.

the *insert* in an EF Fairmont Ghia grill is chrome, with black paint over the top of it.
when they cop a few stone chips the chrome starts to show through the black.
I don't know if the standard fairmont ones have this as they seem to be bare plastic.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next