EF/EL side mirror mod 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EF/EL side mirror mod
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

recently i decided to finally attempt my Euro style side mirrors that you see on BMWs and AUDIs,

took me couple of days to knock up a basic idea of what i wanted
Attachment:
Picture 051.jpg
Picture 051.jpg [ 32.4 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]

Attachment:
Picture 053.jpg
Picture 053.jpg [ 41.57 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

tell me what you think???

keep in mind this isnt finish product

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Post subject: Re: EF/EL side mirror mod
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Colour code the mirrors first.

It doesn't look too bad IMO.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

phongus wrote:
Colour code the mirrors first.

It doesn't look too bad IMO.

i have the original mirrors still, just testin these ones out before i do it to them

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 04 BA Mk2 Xr6

thats sweet, howd you do it?

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

96el wrote:
thats sweet, howd you do it?

The LED strips you can get from EBAY for $6,
just cut out the shape with a grinder carefully and glued the LEDS into the slot with plastic glue.
sealed it up with windscreen sealer, but as i said before is only a prototype, am gonna try and improve it...

hopefully

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

Not sure how your LEDs will go but I have done a similar thing on my EL but using the larger LED indicators you can get and there is a chance they will start to go cloudy looking like the headlights do on EF/EL's. I have another set of LEDS on order to be used with a fibreglass cover that I am making so that it looks like the indicators are meant to be there.

Also have you removed the standard side indicators or do you plan to? I ask because when I did mine I made some calls to various engineers and the RTA and even spoke to some traffic cops and having the indicators in the mirror is illegal and there is no why to make it legal unless you can prove that the particular model car you have fitted them to has had a similar thing from factory. The cops said they dont see any issues with them as long as they can be sen from the front and sides but did say that even though they dont see it as a problem there is no guarantee that the next copper or any other copper will view them the same way.

I have had mine for 6 months or so and as yet no real problems

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

head_ache wrote:
Not sure how your LEDs will go but I have done a similar thing on my EL but using the larger LED indicators you can get and there is a chance they will start to go cloudy looking like the headlights do on EF/EL's. I have another set of LEDS on order to be used with a fibreglass cover that I am making so that it looks like the indicators are meant to be there.

Also have you removed the standard side indicators or do you plan to? I ask because when I did mine I made some calls to various engineers and the RTA and even spoke to some traffic cops and having the indicators in the mirror is illegal and there is no why to make it legal unless you can prove that the particular model car you have fitted them to has had a similar thing from factory. The cops said they dont see any issues with them as long as they can be sen from the front and sides but did say that even though they dont see it as a problem there is no guarantee that the next copper or any other copper will view them the same way.

I have had mine for 6 months or so and as yet no real problems

i was told different from the RTA, they said to me your allowed as long as they are amber lights and face front and side

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

I have the amber/ orange LEDs in mine and they said it didnt matter. QLD was a little better about it but both said no. I never did check with the insurance companies though. I checked with th engineer mainly to try cover myself because on past occasions when I had dealt with both the QLD DOT and the NSW RTA I have been given multiple answers from a single person. As I have said I have had no issues with mine but just beware that you could have issues but in reality I doubt it

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

112 Location of direction indicator lights
(1) A pair of direction indicator lights fitted to a vehicle must have the centre of each light at least:
(a) for a motor bike or the single wheel end of a motor trike—300 millimetres from the centre of the other light, and
(b) for lights fitted at the 2 wheel end of a motor trike—600 millimetres from the centre of the other light, unless the centre of each direction indicator light is not over 400 millimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle, and
(c) for another vehicle with a width of not over 1300 millimetres—400 millimetres from the centre of the other light, and
(d) for another vehicle with a width of over 1300 millimetres—600 millimetres from the centre of the other light.
(2) The centre of each direction indicator light must be at least 350 millimetres above ground level.
(3) The centre of each light in a pair of direction indicator lights required to be fitted to a vehicle must not be over:
(a) 1.5 metres above ground level, or
(b) if it is not practicable for the light to be fitted lower—2.1 metres above ground level.
(4) For subclause (1), the width of a vehicle is measured disregarding any anti-skid device mounted on wheels, central tyre inflation systems, lights, mirrors, reflectors, signalling devices and tyre pressure gauges.
113 Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights
(1) A direction indicator light fitted to a motor vehicle must:
(a) when operating, display regular flashes of light at a rate of not over 120 flashes a minute, and:
(i) for a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels—at least 60 flashes a minute, or
(ii) for any other motor vehicle—at least 45 flashes a minute, and
(b) be able to be operated by a person in the normal driving position, and
(c) be wired to an audible or visible device in the vehicle that tells the driver that the direction indicator light is operating, and
(d) flash at the same time and rate as any other direction indicator lights fitted on the same side of the vehicle.
(2) A direction indicator light fitted to a side of a trailer must, when operating, flash at the same time and rate as the direction indicator light or lights fitted to the same side of the motor vehicle towing the trailer.
(3) The flashes of light displayed by a direction indicator light must be:
(a) if the light faces forward—white or yellow, and
(b) if the light faces backwards:
(i) yellow, or
(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973—yellow or red, and
(c) if the light faces out from the side of the vehicle:
(i) white or yellow towards the front and side, and
(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973—yellow or red towards the rear and side, and
(iii) for a vehicle built after June 1973—yellow towards the rear and side.
Note. The ADRs only allow yellow direction indicator lights.
(4) If a motor vehicle’s direction indicator lights display only yellow light, the vehicle may be equipped to allow the lights to operate simultaneously on both sides of the vehicle, if a visible or audible signal tells the driver when the lights are operating simultaneously.
(5) When on, a direction indicator light must be visible 30 metres from:
(a) if the light faces forwards—the front of the vehicle, or
(b) if the light faces backwards—the rear of the vehicle, or
(c) if the light faces out from the side of the vehicle—that side of the vehicle.
(6) When on, each direction indicator light in at least 1 pair of lights fitted on or towards the front of a prime mover, or a motor vehicle over 7.5 metres long, must be visible at a point:
(a) 1.5 metres at right angles from the side of the vehicle where the light is fitted, and
(b) in line with the rear of the vehicle.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragv ... N?tocnav=y

can be placed anywhere as long as there within these guidelines

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]