Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Before lights were plastic and made to fit / match the aero shape of cars they were standard sizes. Twin round lights were a smaller size than a single round light. Has anyone actually tried a standard light rather than the brand Ford used ? If they do fit, there are many brands available and a set of new good quality lights would be around $200.

You haven't looked at the front of an EF or EL XR have you ?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Post subject: Re: Ef/el xr headlights
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Before lights were plastic and made to fit / match the aero shape of cars they were standard sizes. Twin round lights were a smaller size than a single round light. Has anyone actually tried a standard light rather than the brand Ford used ? If they do fit, there are many brands available and a set of new good quality lights would be around $200.

You haven't looked at the front of an EF or EL XR have you ?

Agreed.
From memory, when I had my HK Premier many many years ago the replacement size for the twin headlights were 5 & 1/4 inch as opposed to the standard Kingswood's 7 inch lights. The XR's are a bit smaller than 5 & 1/4 I think.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

For those with a comprehension problem I asked a simple question. Not stating an opinion as fact. Has anyone ever actually measured a light ? Or are you all so smart you know everything ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

For those with a comprehension problem I asked a simple question. Not stating an opinion as fact. Has anyone ever actually measured a light ? Or are you all so smart you know everything ?

Smart enough to know that there is no way in the world that another type of light other then a proper XR one is never going to fit in there.
No need to measure it.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'm with Matt...

I've looked... It'd be a b**ch to try and fit anything generic just because of the way they mount...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Smart enough to know that there is no way in the world that another type of light other then a proper XR one is never going to fit in there.
No need to measure it.

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Owned ............. :shock:

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

This is starting to get funny, no one has measured the light, but are all sure they are right. I never said they did fit, I was asking a question no one has answered. Is anyone smart / skilled enough to use a tape measure or rule ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So to you it makes sense to measure the factory lights... Find generic lights the same size... Order said lights... Have them arrive AND THEN discover they can't be mounted in the XR lamp assembly?

Suppose that seems logical...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
No need to measure it.
[/quote]
Hi Mr Smarty,

Do you remember this ? auto-electrical-forum-f89/indicator-ticking-too-fast-wtf-t66048-30.html Why dont you measure a light, I asked a question, I didnt say they did fit. Once again, I am asking for facts, not ill informed opinions.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
So to you it makes sense to measure the factory lights... Find generic lights the same size... Order said lights... Have them arrive AND THEN discover they can't be mounted in the XR lamp assembly?

Hi,

Where do you get that from a simple question about the size of the light ? IF they are the same size, you can get an old cheap sealed beam from a wrecker ( if you dont have an old one ) and see if it fits. For a couple of dollars you will know, and then you can order some good replacements. For people with damaged / broken lights I would have though there would have been some interest in finding good quality easy to get / cheaper replacements.

I suspect Ford used a standard size light, they dont have to design it and can buy from different makers to get it at the right price. You may not remember the old type of lights, but at the back they had " notch's " so they would only fit the right way up. It also meant you couldn't swap hi / low type lights. And most Low beam lights also had a high beam also. On an XR because the nose cone covers part of the light, they will look smaller than older cars where you can see a gap around the retaining bezel.

Once again, I am asking about the size, not saying they will fit. If they do though, wouldn't that be great info for XR owners ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I'd tell you... Up until the weekend I had two sitting beside the computer... But filled them away in boxes on the weekend... They're smaller than 4inches from memory... For someone who may have one lying around, what measurement are you actually chasing, the overall diameter or the mounting centres to the adjusters?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i just measured mine, cause they are sitting here. looks to be 125mm across (from the seam of lens) lens itself would be smaller, however, you have to remember that one is a projector beam (i think its called) and about 200-250mm long. also the mounting point dont look like anything i have come across before

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

There you go... I remember years ago about 4" was the diameter of the ring of angle eyes if i wanted to go with those... And that was to fit inside the grill I think... What's the centres of the adjusters?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i'd have to go back out to the shed and check. might go back out soon.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just checked the projector beam one and its about 150mm between the 2 adjusters, and i think it was 95mm from one adjuster to the corner mount. was a bit dark so couldnt see clearly

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next