Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont Series II Headlights - which ones??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont Series II Headlights - which ones???
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia Series 2

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys, Can some one tell me the best globes to get for my EF Fairmont Series II...don't want to add relays etc...I do a fair bit of highway driving and would like something that gives me decent brightness on the road. Thanks.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I do not know if you sorted this or not, but I can see I am the first to reply.

If you do not want to add HID lights (check through this section and threads on how easy it is), I would try Narva Plus +50, as they do not cost much more than standard bulbs and will not melt your lenses from inside, which does happen with high temp high wattage standard bulbs i.e. 100w.

We used to fit them all the time for Mazda 6 customers, cheap and made that little extra difference. Others vehicles too, but more Mazda 6 owners complained about poor lights.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

NARVA PLUS 50 they are a real neat package for a good price.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yep.. can definatly vouch for the 100 watter globes melting your lences.. i had a nice big droop sag of plastic lence in front of the globe once... :roll:

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
yep.. can definatly vouch for the 100 watter globes melting your lences.. i had a nice big droop sag of plastic lence in front of the globe once... :roll:

I haven't seen that since EF and EL's were new, I have seen holes in the H3 side of the headlight where the customer had replaced the bulbs :lol:
I remember the first headlights I replace just had Hella 100w H3's in them, the first ones had the holes in them, the rest was the typical brown melt bit right in front of the bulb.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia Series 2

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply's guys.

A while ago, I was putting in new globes into my Fairmont and on the drivers side, broke on of the little lugs where the globe slots in - such a big engine bay and Ford gives you no room to fit your hand between the battery and the back of the light - I'm 6'3' and have bloody big hands!!! The HID upgrade will have to wait until I get some cash...but can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find how to do it please and also if anyone has done it, has it been worth it???

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bftyphoon wrote:
The HID upgrade will have to wait until I get some cash...but can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find how to do it please and also if anyone has done it, has it been worth it???

There is heaps of posts in this section where someone has fitted HID's
Here is one of many
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post775525.html

I am sure there is someone with info how they fitted them, I fitted HIDs to my Gli EL to both high (H3) and low (H1), I didn't have my camera with me, I left the original wiring all there to allow me to quickly swap to standard bulbs if something fails, just spliced and soldered into the lights wiring, cut holes in low and high beam bulb covers so that rubber seals worked, mounted the ballasts. Very easy conversion, hardest part is the room around the headlights.

I bought some cheap and nasty HID's off ebay, one bulb caused a HID ballast to fail, did not realise it was caused by the bulb until I swapped the ballast around and ballast would sometime fail to restart, using that bulb in opposite headlights.
Got burnt with that ebay buy, I returned the ballast and I have never heard from that Ebay seller since, she was from Hobart, she might be under another Ebay name, so be careful with HID and electronics from a Hobart seller.

I would recommend fitting H3 Halogen white light type to the inner high beam as there is a delay for the bulb to become on.
I recommend fitting BiXenon H4 for the main high/low, once the light is on it doesn't turn the filament off between high and low beam, just adjusts the bulb to suit.

If you don't already know what bulb fits what etc, check this post.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post603398.html#603398
(And no, I never found out an answer to my question)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]