Fordmods Logo

EF Modifications for 17" wheels? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Modifications for 17" wheels?
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ive been looking at getting some new wheels for the EF, currently ive got 16's and they are no problems, but i wanted to make sure before getting the new ones and selling my current ones i wasnt gonna have any issues, would anything need to be done to my guards etc... to fit 235 45 R17 on the rears and 215 45 R17 on the fronts?

Cheers JD

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You can fit 235s on the front, you just need the right offset rims. You might need to roll the lip on the guard depending on how low your car is.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

sweet, nah its just standard tickford bilsteins on the standard springs all round, maybe custom springs later on but for now the 17's and the height should be good :D

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Mate i had 235 19" rims on my EF XR6 with no mods to guards so you will have no problems with 17" rims as long as you get right offset as previously stated

Just tell your wheel company you want pre au wheel offset rims and you'll be fine

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
You can fit 235s on the front, you just need the right offset rims. You might need to roll the lip on the guard depending on how low your car is.
Agreed - I had 17" in 235's on the front, King SL's, and Short Shocks and after a while i noticed a cut in my front tyre.

Prob caused from a steepish driveway but I rolled my gaurds and no more issues

Rims were correct offset

Why fit 215's - arent they a bit too small and remember that if your 215's and 235's have the same profile of 45 your 215's are going to have a larger side wall

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

As said here already, correct offset is the most important thing.

I had 235 45 R17s on my EF which is on the standard shocks with King superlows and I never had a problem with scuffing even over sneaky speedbumps or steep driveways.

I was at the Tyre Factory getting my new wheels (235 40 R18 iirc) and there was another EF there with similarly styled wheels to my 17" King Phases (Dunlop copy, apparently) and they scuffed like a b**ch. Ride height looked almost identical, same mods but obviously they were not the correct offset. They were Pre-AU (I don't think he was using spacers), they just weren't the right pre-au, as I understand it.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the correct offset measurement is... Just make sure you ask about it when you buy your wheels.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Pre AU offset is 0 to +6 mm.
I've seen multiple wheels advertised as Pre AU with an offset of 10-15, which is no good.

If you run AU+ offset you'll need 35mm hub adaptors.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

SVD115, it depends on how much you lower it.. if you put ultra lows on it.. you'll probably have issues..

I have 18 inch 235's on my EL and I've a ton of space, but I've not lowered it yet.. once I have I expect I'll have to roll my guards too... (planning on super lows now)

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:56 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

DRHEMI wrote:
Why fit 215's - arent they a bit too small and remember that if your 215's and 235's have the same profile of 45 your 215's are going to have a larger side wall

The 215's up the front are because they aren't as wide as the rears and dont need the 235 profile up front, the offset is slightly off, its around 10ish, but the price is too good to pass up. i was already running 20mm spacers on my 16's just because i wanted them a bit further out and they were like that for over a year, so im not fussed about running them again (please don't bring up the illegal etc... part of it they were custom made and made of a very expensive material and i know they will never cause me any grief), anyway depending on how they look on the car this weekend, i might sell them on till i find the right set of wheels.

thanks for all the replies.

Cheers JD

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

There are a number of wheel around the 20 offset, which require 20mm hub adapters obviously. And mate, 215's up front with 235's at back could lead to understeer. I had 215/40/17's in a real nice Dunlop Direzza D1 variety and had to sell them to a guy with a Subaru as they just ain't fat enough with the 235 or 245 on the back. Just was all wrong for standard road use really.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]