Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Cornering lamps
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Just bought a set of cornering lamps for the fairmont and was wondering the best/eaisest way to hook them up?

Someone told me that to have them done by an auto elec costs a fair bit because they have to hook them up with their own on/off button, is there any truth to this?

Thanks.

"In the absence of orders find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Post subject: Re: EL Cornering lamps
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

do you have the factory relays with them too? they are easy enough to wire up as cornering lamps u just need to join 4 wires into the loom each side. headlight has to come out to do this. took me around 1/2 hr for each side

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah they didnt come with the relays just the lights themselves.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

if you call around the wreckers you may be able to find a pair of relays,plug and piece of loom, they are a special type (latching relays). they are found in the front corners of the engine bay on fairlanes and ltds only. they dont use a switch, are powered from the parker wiring and switched on by the indicators, only latching for 15 seconds. so when u put the indicators on (with your lights on) the cornering lights work, 15seconds after you turn the indicator off the cornering lights turn off.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate i'll suss it out

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

To get them done by an auto electrician's gonna be expensive one way or another if there anything like the ones we've dealt with, it's more from the repeat business than anything.

You're meant to have a switch if your hooking them up like fog lights etc. but not as proper cornering lights.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
To get them done by an auto electrician's gonna be expensive one way or another if there anything like the ones we've dealt with, it's more from the repeat business than anything.

You're meant to have a switch if your hooking them up like fog lights etc. but not as proper cornering lights.

Yeah i was thinking of hooking them up as fog lights not they they do much good just for looks i spose, any idea on the cost of hooking them up that way?

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

you just need a relay a switch a fuse and some wiring. probably under $20. think some auto parts places have a spotlight wiring setup for around $15. ring around. you realise the light shines out to the right and left not straight ahead. guess they will look like fog lights still.

bring back the blue

Last edited by XRfairmont67 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I happen to have 20w bulbs in mine (rather than factory 5w or some rubbish) and use them from the park lamp circuit. They work very well for cars seeing me at dusk or dawn without me having to annoy everyone with the headlights being on properly. Whenever I pass EF or EL's running with parklamps on I think ''my gawd, lucky I have those cornering lamps wired up like that...!''

Timmy97EL wrote:
Need on off switch for cornering lamps?

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
I happen to have 20w bulbs in mine (rather than factory 5w or some rubbish) and use them from the park lamp circuit. They work very well for cars seeing me at dusk or dawn without me having to annoy everyone with the headlights being on properly. Whenever I pass EF or EL's running with parklamps on I think ''my gawd, lucky I have those cornering lamps wired up like that...!''

Timmy97EL wrote:
Need on off switch for cornering lamps?

You. Get over the blue, and stop mis-using quotes. The blue was hideous, and thank god it's gone.

And to answer the thread there is 2 ways to fit them.The first way is to do what most people have done, which is to mount them as foglights. You can buy a DIY kit from Superchheap for $40, and that is a simple thing to fit.
If you know a little about electronics, you can make the circuit to make them work properly
documents.php?d=10
I'll be honest, I am not good with electronics, but I would be able to put that circuit together.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

fiend wrote:
"I happen to have 20w bulbs in mine (rather than factory 5w or some rubbish) and use them from the park lamp circuit. They work very well for cars seeing me at dusk or dawn without me having to annoy everyone with the headlights being on properly. Whenever I pass EF or EL's running with parklamps on I think ''my gawd, lucky I have those cornering lamps wired up like that...!''

They are meant to have 20W bulbs in them....Otherwise they wouldn't do much.

Fiend, I know in NZ they have the WOF system. Did you pass with them wired like that?

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I found they only had 5w when the front end came off the old Mont and onto the Futura. And yes, you are right - They didn't do much!!!!

The warrant system over here isn't too bad in some respects... They have passed warrant inspection twice in this car over the last year since the front end got put on. I can turn them off by opening the bonnet and removing a bullet connector, which kind of means it's an ''off'' switch. Legally speaking, there possibly should be an off switch in the cabin for them, which can be wired up properly now that I've had the right fender off to run amplifier power cables from battery to the boot and happened to leave four lines of 10amp wire running from the bonnet latch to the centre console under the stereo. I'll be doing this at some point, but the warrant guys don't really mind, as at 20w they are hardly a hazard to anyone and calling them fog lamps is giving them station beyond their ability!
-EDIT- Have a look at my sig... That is not edited, straight from camera with headlights on. The blue light out the headlight is the H4blue halogen things, which work quite well. I guess the cornering lamps look brighter purely because they are an unfocused light and therefore my cheap cellphone camera picks them up better than the headlamps (which were not shinning at the camera in the slightest...) Anyways, happy with it like this...

SLO247 wrote:
They are meant to have 20W bulbs in them....Otherwise they wouldn't do much.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]