Fordmods Logo

EL fairmont active grille- UPDATED 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL fairmont active grille- UPDATED
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

im working on en el fairmont grill i have, i cut the horizontal black strips it has on it out, and am hoping to cut out part of the bonnet from the back and make it an active grille. does anyone know where we can get QUALITY mesh from?? not the cheap stuff from autobarn or super cheap auto, i want it to be a little thicker with closer gaps between the mesh, i was thinking maybe the stuff they use in security screen doors.

also has anyone done this that can tell me if its worth making the grille 'active'? i used a dremmel and grinder to get the strips out, sanded and painted it on the weekend, looks tops with the paint.

here is a few piks just before i painted it.

Attachments:
Image044.jpg
Image044.jpg [ 230 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]
Image039.jpg
Image039.jpg [ 381.38 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Last edited by BOSXR8 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey mate, I used an office bin that is made out of fine metal mesh and used 2 layers to increase the desity and fashioned a grill. Then sprayed it black, sounds dodgy as but is very effective. I also cut out the bonnet indentation 2 make the grill functional, I drilled lots of holes round the border then jig sawed from behind. It's easy but takes balls 2 start ripping into a good bonnet lol. It is solid improvement it ur willing 2 go thru with it as it looks good and has a sporty look like a BA XR grill, there is a bonus of forcing bulk air into the air box scoop too. I'm thinking of getting some good quality thick mesh to but I don't know where 2 get it. I also reckon a big bright BA Falcon badge might look good centered in the grill to, it's alot different to the older badges.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thatnks for the idea mate, im going to bunnings to rome around see what i can find, i know of a company that does awesome mesh, its actual 'mesh' which is woven together, but they only sell in bulk items for design and stuctural purposes, only piece they gave away was a 10cm by 10cm piece.

as for the bonnet im thinking of a grinder... we will see what happens..

as for the badge i masked around the back and painted around it so to take it out now would be a b**ch esp since there isnt that much support in thatarea i dont want to risk breakingthe grille, good pointthough i shouldve done it before cutting... ill shine it up though make it look nice...

thanks for the help...

you got any piks of your grille?? would love to see some.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

'thinking of a grinder', don't stuff it up lol.. There was a classic WTF moment when a mate rocked up when I was midway thu hacksawing my bonnet. Yeah I want that stuff like Ford used for the T series Au models it's a proper woven mesh, Bunnings worth a look. I've got an EF Fairmont so the huge BA Ford badge can be wacked on no drama's in the centre it doesn't have any garnish in the centre, I'll give that a go, but it'll prob look too big and retarded on a EF.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
thatnks for the idea mate, im going to bunnings to rome around see what i can find, i know of a company that does awesome mesh, its actual 'mesh' which is woven together, but they only sell in bulk items for design and stuctural purposes, only piece they gave away was a 10cm by 10cm piece.

How much did they want for that sheet of mesh?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Last edited by Rick_Deckard on Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cboz wrote:
Hey mate, I used an office bin that is made out of fine metal mesh and used 2 layers to increase the desity and fashioned a grill. Then sprayed it black, sounds dodgy as but is very effective. I also cut out the bonnet indentation 2 make the grill functional, I drilled lots of holes round the border then jig sawed from behind. It's easy but takes balls 2 start ripping into a good bonnet lol. It is solid improvement it ur willing 2 go thru with it as it looks good and has a sporty look like a BA XR grill, there is a bonus of forcing bulk air into the air box scoop too. I'm thinking of getting some good quality thick mesh to but I don't know where 2 get it. I also reckon a big bright BA Falcon badge might look good centered in the grill to, it's alot different to the older badges.

is it legal to just hack at the bonnet?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dodnt ask how much, it was sent to me through uni last year via post for a massive project we were working on, they sent us a few samples... thought we were going to buy big haha.

i looked into the bonnet, alot of structural stuff there, there are two rectangular shape areas from the inside that i think ford put there as extras that i might grind off haha... ill show you a pik of what i mean...

as for the mesh, i went pretty muchevery where and there was no one that stocked anything apart from that saas brand crappy one... so im still looking...

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

autobarn sells all kinds of mesh.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the 2 i went to only had the SAAS brand one, in 2 sizes. maybe they are different in vic?

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i havent been on here in a while, computer died and been busy,

i have painted the grille and put it on, havent made it active as of yet though, the mesh looks good, here are some piks, car is real dirty apologise for that.

hopefully if i get the chance i will work on the grille today to make it functional, another thing that i might have to do is cut the black plastic on top of the bar when you open the bonnet to let the air circulate the radiator.

i prefer this grille over the ef one as it lifts the look of the car and makes it look newer, even though the ef one did make it look tougher.

Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 241.06 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 246.55 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96' EF Falcon Futura

WA, Australia

Much nicer then the stocker.

I made a signature but I ated it.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

i reckon that looks hot. nice job :)

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Nice buddy, what mesh did you use? If I read u right behind that black plastic is metal, lol, so even if u make the grill functional the air won't hit the radiator. I notice that the metal can be cut away as long as u keep away from the bonnet lock and surrounding bracing, it would then be effective and functional. I'm not game to do that with mine tho, it would prob make the engine bay look seriously hacked up, weird stuff how Ford blocked half the radiator off for the EF/L Falcons.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well that blows my idea of making it functional then.. lol... learning as we go i guess, thanks for that cboz.. ill take a closer look on the weekend.. never any time to do anything these days... i wish i was at uni again!!

thanks for the feedback

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL 4 litre

WA, Australia

i used that mesh from super cheap auto like 25 buks looks pretty good so yeah thats were u can get nice looking mesh

Old Mate Ford falcon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next