EL headlights 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL headlights
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey my right headlight on my car is old and cr4p so it needs a replacement.. The left one is brand new as it got replaced by insurance due to an accident :oops: lol..

To buy the headlight from Ford (just one) is about $2-300 dollars I think, but to buy a pair off ebay is around the 130 dollar mark..

You can also buy a headlight individually off Ebay which would again be cheaper, but I am not sure it is exactly the same as the standard one.

Anyone know what I should do? Are there any good looking aftermarket headlights for an EL that would be worth looking at? I also have Altezza clear tail lights ready to install.

Also my headlights are quite dim while driving at night, not dangerously, but I would prefer them to be a bit brighter.

Does that mean they just need a bulb change or what?

Cheers

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Post subject: Re: EL headlights
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi mate,

I have the ebay ones... They're a pretty good fit but there is a space top and bottom as the light appears to be slightly slimmer than the ford original. It looks fine if you replace both lights and indicators but to replace just one light it would definitely look odd.

For brighter lights I used Phillips Blue Vision as i like the white light look but if you want better vision only then I'd get the Phillips vision plus they're really good for lighting up the road.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pat

"You only need 2 tools, WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesnt move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldnt, use the duct tape!"

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks paddy. I think I may look at replacing both and try sell the current new one or keep as a spare. The Phillip vision bulbs car be purchased at any electrical/hardware store or repco/autobarn/supercheap? or all?

Cheers :)

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

For my right headlight i used Meguiars PlastX clear plastic cleaner and polish to give it a good buff and it has come out ALOT better, not perfect but can't notice the difference between the two anymore. I was using an old T-shirt im gonna have a crack with a paper towel 2moz lol..
The right headlight is still less bright than the left and the left illuminates about 1-2 meters further than it.. so replacing them both with Phillips Blue vision as ef_paddy suggested (cheers)

Went to autobarn today and it looked like the best one there.. there was a brighter one but was for off road use only, dont really want to p1ss people off haha..

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

One of my EL lights had yellowed significantly so I coated it liberally with cut and polish and hit it with a polishing wheel.
Looks the same both sides now.

The passanger side was the yellowed one when I got it.. it's now the better of the two as I spent more time on it.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Lol good effort. I dont have polishing wheel lol so just using anything I can get my hands on around the house...

Going to keep going on it and see how good i can get it :)

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Don't need a cutting wheel. I'm just lazy. :-)

brasso, mag polish, cut and polish.. they will all work, some just require more effort than others.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]