Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 high beam lights 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 high beam lights
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
You are absolutely correct - though if you remove the low beam relay whilst on high beam, high beam won't be affected.

That's right, the high beam will stay on but the low beam will go out.
If you pull the high beam relay, both will go out.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
If you pull the high beam relay, both will go out.
As does disconnecting the cct breaker :P .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
OZBMX wrote:
interesting, because I know on my fairmont it was slightly different but I know fairmonts/lanes had different headlight wiring, but I had exact same symptons and it was th circuit breaker under the overflow, but I suspect mad right, maybe get one of each.
Fairmonts don't have that extra connection on the low beam relay that MAD covers above - there's been a few threads on here where people have converted to either XR or low series headlights, and find the low beam doesn't stay on.
Easiest way to test the cct breaker is to put a shorting lead on the terminals and see if the fault disappears (make sure there's no short ccts). Or use the power window cct breaker in it's place temporarily.

yes it was the circuit breaker, and since then with my best mate being a sprky I'veleart a fair bit, basically I was comennting on what had been covered basically trying to back up on mad.
p.s. the car that fualt was in was my ef probably a hyundai by now or maybe already a kia..lol

judging by hyundai drivers, lol.
I currently havethe same problem in my xc, I tried shorting it which worked, as you suggested, the reolaxced it, and still have the problem my suspicion is becasue of it having semi sealed, and remember this is an xc it was just a comment on a curent problem right now I have to fix not an ef.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
I currently havethe same problem in my xc, I tried shorting it which worked, as you suggested, the reolaxced it, and still have the problem my suspicion is becasue of it having semi sealed, and remember this is an xc it was just a comment on a curent problem right now I have to fix not an ef.
I think you're analysing too much what I'm saying.
Well when you short out the cct breaker, you also remove the current draw limitation, so it sounds like your lights might be drawing close to the top limit of the cct breaker. A bit of maths can shed some light on that. If that's the case, then your original cct breaker might be okay. And as MAD suggested for the OP, a bulb upgrade might be the cause, and checking any associated relays is easy by simple substitution. The thing that stuck out for me was the engine bay washing, but it's not a certainty that it is the complete cause.
I've not said "no it's not that, it's this" - we all look at faultfinding fixes with a different slant, so collectively we bring to light things that individually the other person may not have thought of, and vice versa.
So it's up to the OP to use all of this info (and he has more than enough to solve his problem), and come up with a plan on how to do this.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL Ghia

QLD, Australia

%100 Its your circut breaker!
My car did it for ages, only when you put high beams on due to having higher watter high beams,
I directly wired it from my battery to one side of the wires going to the circut breaker,
Been like that for months and no flickering like i used to get. But %100 its your circut breaker

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2