EL XR8 Headlights 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR8 Headlights
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR8

NSW, Australia

hey guys, i recently installed some $150 Phillips H1 5000k diamond visions into the front headlights of my xr, problem is they still have a yellow tinge, after trying a few different brands I have come to the conclusion the glass lenses could be dirty from the inside, anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them and actually get a whit light coming through?

1997 EL XR8
Series 2: cold air intake, LED lights, 1200w sound system, standard exhaust cut muffler put straigt pipes, bonnet scoop.....much more coming.

Post subject: Re: EL XR8 Headlights
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

It's hard to get a white light with halogen bulbs .
However u can get a h1 5000k hid kit . That will be white .

In my car I have 4300k HIDs and they are great , very bright .
They are a bit yellowish so I'm going to get some 5000k bulbs

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

one of two things are the problem . Your headlights are dirty in witch case you have to clean them but if they arent yellow i doubt it. if they are get a headlight restoration kit use it and seal them using this method
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... -idea.html
Or you can do a headlight upgrade that consists of getting a set of proper hid reflectors for your headlights and installing them . iI dont know what size the reflector is in the ELs but these reflectors are 90mm and wont blind people like putting hids in halogen reflectors

Attachments:
hid reflector.jpg
hid reflector.jpg [ 12.33 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

His car dont have reflectors , he has the halogen projectors. Also headlights are glass so they don't go yellow like ef headlights

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
His car dont have reflectors , he has the halogen projectors. Also headlights are glass so they don't go yellow like ef headlights

ok my bad . Sorry about that

Last edited by my671fordv8 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1997 EL XR8

NSW, Australia

thanks for the help, i will give them a good clean first and see the results after that. cheers

1997 EL XR8
Series 2: cold air intake, LED lights, 1200w sound system, standard exhaust cut muffler put straigt pipes, bonnet scoop.....much more coming.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

my671fordv8 wrote:
one of two things are the problem . Your headlights are dirty in witch case you have to clean them but if they arent yellow i doubt it. if they are get a headlight restoration kit use it and seal them using this method
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... -idea.html
Or you can do a headlight upgrade that consists of getting a set of proper hid reflectors for your headlights and installing them . iI dont know what size the reflector is in the ELs but these reflectors are 90mm and wont blind people like putting hids in halogen reflectors

Those reflectors are for high beam only. There is nothing in them to shape the light output to be suitable as a low beam headlight.

That autogeek clearing method is the one I have been shouting from the rooftops to anyone that has inquired. It is so simple, and so easy to do. You can see the results of it in my build thread or my bi-xenon retrofit thread.

I havent used it myself, but there is stuff called cerium oxide that is for polishing glass. Most of the XR lights I've seen have all been fairly pitted from stones and sand. Dunno how hard it would be to polish the chips out of the glass.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]