Fordmods Logo

engine bay platic parts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: engine bay platic parts
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr6 au 111

WA, Australia

hey all just paintd my fan belt gaurd and i was wondering could i sand it with fine sand paper to make its apperance more smooth. at the moment its all gritty and crap?
any ideas and pics of ppl who have done theres?

Post subject: Re: engine bay platic parts
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Does the finish look like orange peel? I'm guessing that is what you mean by gritty and crap lol..

If you wet sand between coats so that it is smooth before spraying the next coat of paint it usually doesn't turn out so bad. Depending on how bad it is, you could wet sand it with very fine paper until it is smooth, then cut and polish it until it is glossy again.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr6 au 111

WA, Australia

yea i have already painted the whole thing its just drying .so u reckon just wet and dry till smooth then polish?hah i would sand beetween coats but i would have to strip it all back

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Don't worry about stripping it all back unless the finish is real bad. I remember when i first started off spraying my first belt cover (first thing i had ever sprayed i think), i was a little inpatient and sprayed a few heavy coats without sanding smooth in between, the pressure pack paint i was using was complete s**t too which didn't help. The orange peel was that bad that i couldn't wet sand it back smooth enough without sanding the majority of the paint off the cover as it was pretty uneven :oops:, ended up stripping the lot, buying new paint and re-doing it properly - so it's just a little something to remember for next time.

I would wet sand it back with say anything over 1500 grit maybe, make sure you keep the water up to the paper though. The water ensures the paper just glides across the painted surface instead of gripping in to it, preventing heavy scratches. Once it's smooth you should be able to buff out the light scratches left by the wet sanding using a good cutting compound, then just keep polishing until the finish is nice and glossy.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]