Fordmods Logo

F@RKING after market headlight globes!!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: F@RKING after market headlight globes!!!
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

okey ive now blown my second navada arctic blue globe (38 bucks a pop), its giving me the s**t buying expensive nice looking globes that arn't even built in china and have peanuts of a lifespan.
does anyone know globes that are 4000-4300k that won't blow on me, and if they do are cheap as chips?
i don't want to go to HID's due to the cost to do the proper conversion and the lack of light distance. but i don't want yellow lights either.
what do you guys recommend
thanks

p.s. ive heard that the philips equivalent of the navada globes are more expensive and blow just as offen, so their out of the picture.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: F@RKING after market headlight globes!!!
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:02 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Narva platinums are 4300k. I dont have any issues with them and they are a nice white light.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thats the brand name i brought where ive now had 2 lights (both the original ones ive put in) blown in about 6 months. how long have you had yours for??

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

You making absolutely sure you aren't touching the glass when you put them in?

I've had them, they were fine.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Nothing wrong with the globes.

I'd be looking into internal headlight movement... and things like low profile tyres that can contribute to harsher vibration causing a hot element to stretch and reduce globe life.

Oil from fingers (which I'm sure most people know about)

Measure voltages if they're high they'll blow faster.
Do you have an amp that causes rather large spikes in power loss?

I use Philips in my cars, and in my wifes both failed within a few days of each other. (after 3 years of use)

And as a general rule with cars, when any globe blows, replace the lot. (ie parkers as a set, brakes lights as a set ..etc)

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

winman wrote:
okey ive now blown my second navada arctic blue globe (38 bucks a pop), its giving me the s**t buying expensive nice looking globes that arn't even built in china and have peanuts of a lifespan.
does anyone know globes that are 4000-4300k that won't blow on me, and if they do are cheap as chips?
i don't want to go to HID's due to the cost to do the proper conversion and the lack of light distance. but i don't want yellow lights either.
what do you guys recommend
thanks

p.s. ive heard that the philips equivalent of the navada globes are more expensive and blow just as offen, so their out of the picture.

If you are blowing globes like that there is more of an issue than the globes. Do your standard globes last, or is it just the Narva's? Something is not right with your electrical system by the sound of it

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

touching halogen globes with your fingers will cause human skin oil to rub off onto them resulting in black spots appearing, ALLWAYS wipe them over with metho if you think you have touched them

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

globes have not been touched with my hands, i used gloves and even their didn't touch the glass. the problem on both is the filament breaking off (on low beam). the globe still lights up for the highbeam (H4's two stage headlight), car is lowered, on lower profile tyres then stock, ive been told by repco the problem may lie with the bouncing of the car, is causing the filament to weaken and then break. but to be honest its not lowered much, and is still a pretty smooth ride.
i found out that the phillips globes i would be after are 100 bucks a set (RRP), so ive got two options, either buy the philips off ebay for 50 bucks :P, god bless the internet. or buy some cheap as chips ones and when they die replace em

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

There really isn't any need to touch the glass anyway, so no gloves no paper towel required. Head light bulb change can easily be done from just holding onto the terminals

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Previous car was an EL so I know its not easy to get in there, but you can do it without gloves if you move the battery over

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i might buy some Phillips of ebay once my paycheck for this week comes in, mainly because off ebay their only 10 bucks more then the calibre ones at supercheap. i know my dad brought cheap online headlights i think the brand was G4 or something, and the light output was sh!t. i looked into getting led headlights :lol: 10 bucks for a pair with about 120 leds on each, then i found out the lumen rating 450 at best :| . that would be good for about 3meters of light lol, oh and fun fact, if you have a accident at night and your headlights are leds, your insurance is void

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 EFII Gli OLympic Classic

WA, Australia

NARVA headlights must be s**t! I'm onto my second set of BLU-POWER lamps within 6 months of buying and will be looking for a third set (not NARVA) on Tuesday as I blew another yesterday :/

Stock headlamps were the factory originals so they were 15 years old :O

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

that is pretty good :shock: . how white / blue does the night look on the road?? or haven't you tried em out yet.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i asked the ebay seller he said the colour temp was 3500k, to yellow for me lol, i like the clear white look, but anyways i managed to buy a 100 dollar pair of Philips crystal visions for $37.30. and their brand spanking new, in Australia and that is including postage :D

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2006 BF XLS Falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Narva Blue power are the brightest adr approved globe in their range

The most common reason for globes failing is because of vibration, like in lowered cars and 4wds, which affects the halogen gases in them

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next