Fordmods Logo

Fairlane wants some fog lights 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Fairlane wants some fog lights
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Here's the thing, i've decided that cornering lamps are a dumb-a** idea and i want to wire them up to my parkers as fog lights, can anyone tell me if this is gonna work??? any how-to's would be great (save me all the hard work)

HSV Herpes Simplex Virus
"i just want one"!!

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Yeah no problem, it will work. Just need to find some decent lights to put in place of the cornering lamps.
You need to wire them up so they can only be turned with the parklights on. This way you can use them during fog without the headlights.
To do this you need to locate the parklight wire from behind the headlamp assembly, splice into it, then run a wire to a new relay as the signal wire.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
Yeah no problem, it will work. Just need to find some decent lights to put in place of the cornering lamps.
You need to wire them up so they can only be turned with the parklights on. This way you can use them during fog without the headlights.
To do this you need to locate the parklight wire from behind the headlamp assembly, splice into it, then run a wire to a new relay as the signal wire.

Should also put an independant switch inbetween, as you dont necessarily want them on all the time.

A good trick if you decide to do this, is to use the old radio illumination wire from the stereo (assuming you have an aftermarket head unit) as it is already inside the cabin. Run this through a switch and to the relay.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
madmax wrote:

Should also put an independant switch inbetween, as you dont necessarily want them on all the time.

A good trick if you decide to do this, is to use the old radio illumination wire from the stereo (assuming you have an aftermarket head unit) as it is already inside the cabin. Run this through a switch and to the relay.

Good point! I forgot to mention the switch. I have my switch wired to cut the earth to the relay, that way, one wire into cabin into switch then to earth.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
madmax wrote:

Good point! I forgot to mention the switch. I have my switch wired to cut the earth to the relay, that way, one wire into cabin into switch then to earth.

Thats another good way of doing it as well, nothing worse than running wires in and out of the cabin just for a switch!

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

thank for all the help guys, i'll get right on it when i get home from work...
tell ya's all tomorrow if all goes well...

HSV Herpes Simplex Virus
"i just want one"!!

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NC fairlane + f150 4X4

VIC, Australia

when you take those cornering lamps out give us a yell might be interested, then all i'll need is the bottem part of a bumper to graft and walla weeks of work.

If mistakes are the best way to learn why the hell arn't I a freekin genius yet.

I AM THE SPELLING KING BEHOLD MY
ineqati-inekwati-enequoati.....crapness!

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

a few of the boys on here like daniel and dcstraight have wired there cornering lamps up to parkers

Nicko

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

When I had my EL fairmont I installed the fairlane turn lamp assy and wired them both to my parkers. I replaced the globes with a 1W Luxeon LED which you can see here:

The effect is brighter than it appears, consider that the low beams were on in this pic as well but they also look fairly dim. Eventually the LEDs failed because I hadn't waterproofed them properly, so I purchased a multi-LED globe from Jaycar. I think it had about 10 LEDs and a standard globe base, just a drop-in replacement.

If you need to do rewiring then you don't have to pull off the bumper... turn your wheel hard one way, pull off the front wheel arch cover and reach in. You can also find the park lamp circuit under the cover behind the driver's front wheel.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Yep, the white LEDs can either go straight in or just swap the pins. As for foggies, just wire them up to the parkers, too easy.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]