Fordmods Logo

fisholene,phosphoric acid or?....to stop rust. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: fisholene,phosphoric acid or?....to stop rust.
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

New Zealand

hey guys, i'm currently restoring my first car, cos i dont have the balls to do much to my new ba wagon, not yet anyway.

it's got rust in the bottom of three doors and the bootlid has a rusted hole through it. also the lip around where the boot lock is there is a bit of rust. at this stage i just want to stop the rust getting any worse, so i can have a better look when i get time and decide whether to cut and weld, or replace. Main concern is the boot lip cos i can easily replace doors, but really want to kill the rust in the main body.

I know you can use fisholene or that stuff that supposedly turns rust to primer, and the phosphoric acid products, just wondering what people have used, and what gave best results.

eventually i think i will take it to bare metal,so if anyone knows the pros and cons of sand vs bicarb, or other methids please let me know.

as i said at this stage just wanting t stop it spreading while it sits in the garage.

thanks

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

The stuff is commonly refered to as Rust Converter - the main ingrediant is phosphuric acid (unsure on the spelling).

Most Repcos sell K&H brand 500ml bottles of it, but I'd imagine most auto parts places would have it.

A mate of mine swears by it. It had a good effect on the inside of my steel petrol tank to.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

New Zealand

hey thanks for that, so is that the stuff thaht dissolves rust or converts it to primer. could see it working well on surface rust, any idea how it'll go on something a bit more terminal?, ie rusted through a layer of metal?

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

fisholene wont stop rust thats already started, it protcts good metal from starting to rust. don,t sand blast the outer panels. plastic media stripping is a good way to go, but not cheap.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]