Headlight lense removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Headlight lense removal
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to remove a headlight lense on an EF falcoon?

I made an attempt with screwdrivers and razors but had no success and mutilated them (dont fret, they are spares)
I also saw on Youtube that people are putting them in the oven. If so how am I meant to fit an EF lamp into a standard oven??

Any advice would be most appreciated.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Post subject: Re: Headlight lense removal
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I've removed a couple of lenses using a hot air gun to heat up the glue and a couple of large screwdrivers to separate them but I wouldn't say that it was a great success.You could try a large box and a hot air gun to make an oven.The air from a heat gun gets very hot and the box would sort of keep the hot air in place and heat up the headlight evenly.Something to think about .Cheers Kevman.Beware the burns when handling hot stuff.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

kevman wrote:
I've removed a couple of lenses using a hot air gun to heat up the glue and a couple of large screwdrivers to separate them but I wouldn't say that it was a great success.You could try a large box and a hot air gun to make an oven.The air from a heat gun gets very hot and the box would sort of keep the hot air in place and heat up the headlight evenly.Something to think about .Cheers Kevman.Beware the burns when handling hot stuff.

Cheers mate, I will try this.

Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

I done this a couple of days so i could sand back the lenses to make them clear for when i put HIDs in the car,
All i did was heat up a side of the glue with a hair dryer on the hottest setting and pried the lens out with a big screwdriver doesnt take too long as long as you
Just have to remember to keep the glue warm so it is soft and breaks the bead easily

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah as kevman said, a hot air gun (be careful) and large screw drivers will get the lens off pretty easy, just take your time and allow th eheat to soak in to the glue. also dont hold the gun too close or you will make the plastic bubble.

The first EL headlight I opened was stuffed so I broke of all the brackets and that allowed it to fit in the oven. But now I've got a heat gun and it works very well.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Now to invest in a heat gun!

Cheers for that guys.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]