Fordmods Logo

headlight resto 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: headlight resto
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah that's the stuff I used. The only reason I used that one is because it specifically listed some details whereas the cabots ones didn't, so I couldn't be sure it was exactly what I wanted.
Yeah turps wash up, not water wash up. It doesn't last anywhere near as long on the headlight.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
Mounting the projectors wasn't that bad, still time consuming though. Trial fitting in between adjustments was necessary for me to get it 100% perfect.

I'm not a fan of angel eyes, but if you like em, go for it.

What kind of projectors are they? Do you have any pics of the process, or other pics of the front of the car?

Looks great man!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
Yeah that's the stuff I used. The only reason I used that one is because it specifically listed some details whereas the cabots ones didn't, so I couldn't be sure it was exactly what I wanted.
Yeah turps wash up, not water wash up. It doesn't last anywhere near as long on the headlight.
Yeah, I'd think if you mixed acrylic clear it might go milky.

galapogos01 wrote:
What kind of projectors are they? Do you have any pics of the process, or other pics of the front of the car?
It's all in his EL Ghia build thread, and a separate thread covering the whole process.

MAD: I've just about done my first pair of XR low beam HID projector retrofits - fair amount of cutting involved, so there's no going back to halogens. The HID bulbs seem to switch on quick enough - doesn't seem to be any noticeable lag for light up.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford FG XR6

VIC, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
Hi folks, bought a pair of headlights. They are good, not yellow, but have quite a bit of "sandblasting" on the lenses.

I was wondering if anybody had used a product such as:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mothers-Head ... 27bbb93581

or any other product to siccessfully reco the lenses. I would just like to get the sandblast effect off them.

Cheers

Hi there,

You could try 1200 or finer sandpaper or emery paper and then polish with car polish or brasso, this used to work ok on motor bike plastic parts, give it a test run on somewhere not visable first, or on an old headlamp.

http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au

Cheers

I would like to die peacefull and sleeping like my Grandfather, not screaming and panicking like his passengers :)

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:

Looks great man!

Cheers,
Jason
Thanks.

The projectors I used are an aftermarket copy of the projector used in an Infinity FX35. They call them "FX-R". The ones I have are version 1, they're up to version 3 now.
You can buy them from http://www.theretrofitsource.com. I bought mine direct from china though, took a chance on postage and service.

I'm no good at taking pics during processes, I just keep going and don't think to take pics.
There's quite a few pics in my threads that snap mentioned, but I don't know if there's enough to really follow on.

I do have a heap of pics of a BA quad retrofit that I plan to put in to a bit of how-to soon, once they're fitted to the owners car.

snap0964 wrote:
MAD: I've just about done my first pair of XR low beam HID projector retrofits - fair amount of cutting involved, so there's no going back to halogens. The HID bulbs seem to switch on quick enough - doesn't seem to be any noticeable lag for light up.
I guess the angel eyes on the G3's make them a bit bigger, I was able to fit the miniH1 in without cutting any of the unit,

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
I guess the angel eyes on the G3's make them a bit bigger, I was able to fit the miniH1 in without cutting any of the unit,
Well yours are fitted to the std low series reflector, and are designed for just that, just as the units I have - in my case, you're fitting to a halogen projector, so that requires cutting of the reflector bowl, and removal of the halogen projector magnifying glass.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
MAD wrote:
Well yours are fitted to the std low series reflector, and are designed for just that, just as the units I have - in my case, you're fitting to a halogen projector, so that requires cutting of the reflector bowl, and removal of the halogen projector magnifying glass.

I meant I was able to fit it in an xr low beam, like your doing, without cutting. Fully reversible if desired.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2