Fordmods Logo

headlights upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: headlights upgrade
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

This may not be in the right forum, so I will stand corrected if deemed otherwise. Anyway, I have a 72 Galaxie that I want to upgrade the headlights on. I do realise I will need a bigger alternator so don't worry about that as it's on the list. It is a quad 5-3/4" headlight. hi-low on the outside (only 37?-50 watt) and 55 watt on the inside. Money is an object here so I want to make sure i'm doing it right. I can either go bigger sealed beam or inserts with globes. the outsides can go to an HF, but what would the insides be H1's? Any idea on costs? I've seen you can have a go at the clear landing lights on the insides but aren't legal, but what is actually better light wise. I was looking at the 90/130w on the highbeams and at least 100w on the inside highs. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: headlights upgrade
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've seen plenty of round semi-sealed headlights on ebay, the type with a replaceable globe.
Not sure how good they are though.
Anything more than 55/60 for your main beam is "for offroad use only" afaik.

An upgrade to halogen globes, if they are not already, and upgrading the wiring harness to a relayed type will give you a decent increase.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

"the outsides can go to an H4" -sorry had HF. lights already relayed I believe. It's a shame they didn't upgrade the units with at least better sealed beam when they did that. They would have been woeful before that,

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

No other opinions out there for sealed beam over globes or advice for the inside high beam only items?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Still nothing? one reply/opinion and thats it?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

The Galaxie has the standard small headlamps as fitted to just about every Ford from 1962 up to the ZD Fairlane and even the later ZG's. The inside lamps are the high beam and the most common practice was to install sealed beam units that were commonly called aircraft landing lights. Most of them were 100W. The only problem with that is when the element blew you had to throw the whole unit out. The outside lamps are the low beam.

Your best option to keep it standard looking and cheap is to get your self a set of halogen units with replaceable globes. For low beam put in some 55W globes and for the high beam install 90 or 100W globes but make sure to install them via a relay otherwise you will either fry the wiring or not get the optimum light output due to voltage drop.

I had this sort of arrangement in my 1962 Compact Fairlane, (the photo is in my gallery) and I never had an issue with registration checks. As long as the lights are focused correctly you will get no dramas. Check out your local aftermarket auto spares or look on Flea Bay for the units. Good luck.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The outside lights are hi and low so these would end up an H4. The inside hi onlys could be a H1?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]