Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: ***help*** no headlights
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed futura

WA, Australia

sooo...

my headlights dont work.

i have parkers and high beam and thats all. no its not the globe. and ive swaped the switch aswell and that did jack.

any ideas on what it may be or tests to find out. i have to drive across perth everday for work which makes it a bit of a hassel to take it to an auto sparkie
and have to find an alternative vehicle for a day.

cheers.

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fuses??? - unless thats what you meant by switch

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Judging on what you've said, you've just about replaced all the components in the headlight system - As I look at the wiring diagram for EB-D, the only component left is the Low beam relay and the wiring that goes to and from it.
Looking from the front of the car, toward the back, there should be a bank of 4 relays sitting between the battery, and the right hand fender (not the relays sitting to the battery's rear). The low beam relay is the 3rd from the front.
Easiest thing to do is pull this relay and put it back in , just to settle the connections.
If this doesn't work, remove the low beam relay, remove the high beam relay (2nd from front in that bank of 4), and fit it to the low beam position - obviously you'll have no high beam when you test it, but if low beam now works, you know the relay is clagged.
If you now have no low and high beam (your parkers will still work), there is a wiring problem.

Let us know how you go, and if necessary, I'll post the wiring ID's and what voltages you need to look for.

Hope I've worded this simple enough to follow . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

Is it similar on EF/ELs? I'm having a similar problem to pauli only for the time being I can get my headlights back by switching to high beam and then back to low (simply "flashing" the high beam by pushing the stalk forward doesn't work) again. Would that still be the relay or is something more serious wrong?

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

LSD wrote:
Is it similar on EF/ELs? I'm having a similar problem to pauli only for the time being I can get my headlights back by switching to high beam and then back to low (simply "flashing" the high beam by pushing the stalk forward doesn't work) again. Would that still be the relay or is something more serious wrong?

the relay mite be dieng....that kinda thing happened with the indicators...
just got more and more tempremental till they died!

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

LSD - if they work when you pull, to flash, then that just means that the relay is fine. What you might have is a dirty combination switch.. so the switch when you pull works, but pushing it away, doesn't switch the circuit. Take it out, and clean it, clean it good... or try riggling the handle around..

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

LSD wrote:
Yeah, the circuit setup is pretty similar between the E series models - a circuit breaker on your interior fuse box provides power via their respective relays and the steering column stalk and dash lighting switch to high and low beam - park lights are fed power via a relay from a fuse and the dash lighting switch.
justfordima wrote:
LSD - if they work when you pull, to flash, then that just means that the relay is fine. What you might have is a dirty combination switch.. so the switch when you pull works, but pushing it away, doesn't switch the circuit. Take it out, and clean it, clean it good... or try riggling the handle around..
This is right on the money - as Pauli doesn't mention anything about the stalk switch, it may still be a culprit in his case as well.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The combination switch, is that an easy thing to remove and replace?

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

LSD wrote:
The combination switch, is that an easy thing to remove and replace?

not if you have a complete replacement, take off your wheel and it is just a simple case of taking off the old and putting on the new/replacement one to test with. Maybe you have some dirty contacts in the switch so you could have a look in there and check, hit em with a small bit of sandpaper!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

yeh i was thinkin the realy lastnite to. will check that now i know which one it is.

snap0964= what would the stalk switch have to do with my low beams only not working? im lost.

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

well if is not the globe or the switch the a relay or a bad earthign problem..

like the others the relay sounds more obvious chioce as both ypur lighst do not work

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:21 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The switch is only a subject is your highbeams flash, but not stay on...

For the low beams, which is back on topic, check your relay, easiest way, is to stick another in its spot, 3rd relay from the front, and it should be near the battery, under a black cover, there should also be a yellow one there for the horn, so thats number one, skip one, and low beams should be the next one.

If you can't replace it, or feel like the replacement is gone, just stick a wire between two of the pins. I can't exactly remember which ones, but on ther elay there is a diagram, and a picture of the switch, the two number on each end of that switch, is the two pins that needs shorting with a wire or something...

A simpler check, would just involve getting your friend to turn your low beams on, and see if the relay is clicking, you should feel it.

If your relay isn't the problem, the switch on the dash would be next subject but just check connections on the relay, check the ground of the relay, and just the wiring.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

justfordima wrote:

Hang on a sec, my problem is that occasionally the low beams won't come on until I switch the high beams on first (simply flashing them doesn't do it). The high beams will still flash and stay on normally it's only the low-beam that's causing trouble. Could it still be the stalk switch in that case?

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

was the relay. cheers guys.

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:20 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

LSD wrote:
justfordima wrote:

Hang on a sec, my problem is that occasionally the low beams won't come on until I switch the high beams on first (simply flashing them doesn't do it). The high beams will still flash and stay on normally it's only the low-beam that's causing trouble. Could it still be the stalk switch in that case?

Nope, cos the low beam and the high beam switches are in different spots.
For you I would suggest checking the grounds on the relays.. sounds like a relay switching problem.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]