Help With Clear Coat?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Help With Clear Coat??
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

QLD, Australia

Hi guys,

Just did a home paint job on an old falcon using Metallic acrylic paint.

The base colour went down great, not a problem to be had. But I think I have wrecked the clear.

When painting the clear, I had 25psi gun pressure, and used 1.5 part thinners to 1 part clear. I used the same fan spread as with the base colour, and sprayed about 20cm to the surface. Anyone know what I have done wrong? Temp was about 24 degrees.

I did a couple of layers, allowing flash dry, and it has finished to a rough-ish patchy texture. After the flash dry If i wiped my hand over the surface there was a powdery texture.

I got the buffer out and did a fender and it came up ok-ish, but took a lot of work to get there.

My question is, If I lightly wet sand it back, and then apply a few more (Wetter) layers of clear, will I get a nice consistent shine?

Cheers

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I've seen this before, i can't remember why it happened, but remember it came up pretty good after a wetrub with 1200 grit, and then some buff time.

I have also always done a 1200 wetrub and buff at the end of all my spray jobs.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Post subject: maybe
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 91 EB XR8, 95 EF XR8

VIC, Australia

just a stab mate but to me it sound like you've sprayed it on ok, one thing i have noticed with acrylic clear, is that to get a decent finish off the gun you need to put it on pretty wet and heavy (no runs tho). Sometimes i think what happens is the clear on the edges of your fan actually dries before it hits the car and it leaves it looking stripey, rough/patchy etc. Id say if you put enough clear on and you wet rub with say 1500-2000 then machine cut and polish it should be sweet

Let the xr8 collecting begin!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Well I used about 3-3.5 litres of clear, with about 3-4 layers or so.

You reckon ill have enough thickness on their?

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Thats about what i used on last spray job.;

Be careful cutting back, espically on edges. Its easy to take too much off, and wreck the job.`1

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Heres the damage to the clear, and my garage ;p

ImageImage

Post subject: clear
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 91 EB XR8, 95 EF XR8

VIC, Australia

if youve put 4-5 coats of clear on you should have plenty enough to wet rub and buff, I'd give that a try first, as said earlier tho go easy, dont go through edges etc, because its acrylic, if your not happy with it after a buff, you can mix some more an put it on, it is hard to get acrylic clear right off the gun without a booth and not being a spray painter but you should be right wet rub and buff should get a decent finish.

Let the xr8 collecting begin!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

id say your mix is wrong 1.5 clear\1 thinners,you ran it dry due too to much thinners,the paint dried before it hit the panel,try some thinners only and wet it,it may melt the dry spray and flaten it,other wise wet sand with a lot of water,1500 grit and a block,the paints still wet and will take aweek to dry and longer,when its smooth and clean,recoat with 1-2 coats, as you will take a few coats off sanding the dry stuff,when you recoat,spray wet as possible,small runs can be sanded out.use a tac rag to remove over spray dust,do sides and doors 1st,then boot,bonnet,roof as they are half each side,spray boot and let it dry for half hour so over spray wont stick easily,you will see what i mean and will be glossy.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EF_STOCKO wrote:
Heres the damage to the clear, and my garage ;p

ImageImage
ok,just enlarged your photo,the garage will make a lot of dust fall out,so do sides first,then air it out and wait 1 hour,clean the boot and spray it,then 1 hour between the top panels,i noticed you spray 1 way,use two so they go like n-s,e-w and over lap each coat by a third,no wider than the edges are wet,that may be 4-5 inches wide and keep the gun square,start on the paper and run straight thru,and come back.i put 4 lts under coat,light sand have lunch,then paint 4 ltrs finish coat,finished at 3.30,but its experience,take your time-set your gun up on a bit of rubbish and try it.if you have a touch up gun,spray around the edges.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
id say your mix is wrong 1.5 clear\1 thinners,you ran it dry due too to much thinners,the paint dried before it hit the panel,try some thinners only and wet it,it may melt the dry spray and flaten it,other wise wet sand with a lot of water,1500 grit and a block,the paints still wet and will take aweek to dry and longer,when its smooth and clean,recoat with 1-2 coats, as you will take a few coats off sanding the dry stuff,when you recoat,spray wet as possible,small runs can be sanded out.use a tac rag to remove over spray dust,do sides and doors 1st,then boot,bonnet,roof as they are half each side,spray boot and let it dry for half hour so over spray wont stick easily,you will see what i mean and will be glossy.

Hi mate. I used 1.5 part Thinners to 1 part clear. Not the other way round. I pretty much followed the instructions on the can.

That pic was taken 3 weeks ago, so its had 3 weeks to settle or do whatever. Will trying some thinners only still work or???

Cheers guys.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Another question, with the Clear coat, will doing one panel at a time make it look patchy??

Or can you do a panel at a time, and buff it all together to make it consistent?

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EF_STOCKO wrote:
Another question, with the Clear coat, will doing one panel at a time make it look patchy??

Or can you do a panel at a time, and buff it all together to make it consistent?
the paints still fresh and thinners will work,do a panel at a time,wipe it down first-the tac rag will pick up any loose dust,spray as wet as you can and melt it in,the sides are harder-boot,roof,bonnet shoud be almost perfect as there a lot of work,use top coat thinners,not under coat.as top coat is very glossy and bites harder,try the boot first as its easy to see it and get used to what your doing,right now dust is your enemy,give it a try and let me know how you went.your gun settings and air pressure,spray and set the pressure-it reads higher when not spraying,drain all the water out,tank,filters,clean the gun nozzle to get a oval spray pattern-manly on the air horns as the paint builds up there,the thinners will clean the gun.ok-try it.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EF_STOCKO wrote:

all the paint will dry as one coat--cure time,even though its many coats,if each coat melts into the last one,it dries as one after curing,if the paint is wet it dissolves the surface of the last coat and they become one.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hey hans - you reckon you could punctuate your messages? they are so hard to read!!!

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Punnisher_42 wrote:
Hey hans - you reckon you could punctuate your messages? they are so hard to read!!!
will try,but thinking and typing-then have another tip,have to almost do a draft first to make it simple and informative.doing it and writing about are different.you have to have a basic idea.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next