Fordmods Logo

Help with Leaking Factory Sunroof!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Help with Leaking Factory Sunroof!!
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

With all the rain we've been getting lately, I have discovered that my sunroof is leaking :evil: (I think it is coming in on the front drivers side corner). This is a bit of a problem as the water is sitting in the roof and seeping through the roof lining. It also drips pretty bad on big downpours straight onto the middle of the drivers seat. Does anybody know if there is an adjustment that can be made or is there a replaceable seal. It does seem to sit a little low in that corner and water pools up there.

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bump

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There should be 2 garden hose like tubes running from the sunroof to the back of the rear guards, try looking for them, and apply some compressed air to clean it out.

You'll find the pipes running down the rear pillar into the boot.

Silicone is your friend.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers Krytox, I will check it out and let you know how I go. Silicone? Where would I apply it? I still want to use the sun roof. LOL. BTW, it is the sun/moon roof if that makes any difference!

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Also 2 tubes in the front from each corner if you take the A pillar covers off on the inside you will see a clear pipe,

take the sun visors off on both sides and the roof molds so you can remove the pipes off the sunroof, now best way to clear them is to disconnect them of the sunroof and blow using your mouth air down them, that should unblock them,

With the rears on the inside of the C pillars are the same pipes one on each rear corner of the sun roof, take the panic handles off & the curtsy lights off the roof and remove the C pillar covers and surrounding plastics.

Disconnect the pipes of each corner and do the same as you did with the front ones that should clear your problems.

also have a look at the pipes in the A & C pillars were they connect to the sunroof for splits also any kinks in the piping.

i had the same problem when i fist got my car, also on a wet day or night if you can help it dont park side on a hill (road), as if it pisses down with rain your sun roof will not cope with removing all the water at one time at one end you will end up with over flow.

Also i use a car cover and that also helps stop over flowing rain water on the sun roof, water will always get past the rubber as its a 2 way sun roof and its meant to have that slight gap.

On the rubber don’t use any silicon or tier shine as the rubber will perish in time faster than it should.

every 3 months i go and clear the pipes so i dont get any more wet seats and floor.

BANNED

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks BuNtEr,

Explains a lot. my driveway is on a slope so I am probably getting overflow problems. I do have a car cover which goes on every night (see pics in gallery) but with the unpredictable storms coming in lately, I have been caught out a couple of times. Don't think I will get time to dismantle my interior this side of xmas to clean out the pipes but I have taken your suggestion on board. Will just have to make sure the missus carries the car cover with her everywhere and use it if it even looks like rain. I hate that smell you get with a wet interior.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]