Fordmods Logo

How often do you wash n polish your ride? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: How often do you wash n polish your ride?
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

alfy wrote:
SLO247 wrote:
Every week for both cars.

Alfy you seem to have used a few products. I have epic swirl marks on my Galaxy Blue EL. I need them out so I can make it shiny. Tips on what to use? I tried some old Meguairs Swirl Remover 2.0 with a Meguiars yellow hand applicator and doing it by hand, but didn't help much. Seeing as you have been dealing with a Navy Blue EL you may know?

there is a product i use at work made by U-POL, called 333 Cutting Compound, it has a bit harsher abrasives than most off the shelf cutting compounds (its really only meant for an electric buffer but hand appicating works just fine) and it does quite a good job at removing swirls, but it does leave the surface dull so I finish it with 3M Foam Pad Polishing Glaze. that brings up a nice shine and smooth feel to the paint, and if done correctly leaves no swirl marks.

Im not sure on the availability or price of these 2 products, but they should be available at most crash supply shops. I know the 333 can be bought in a smaller tube, but as far as i know the 3M polishing glaze is only available in a 1L bottle, but it will last forever.

oh, and for applicating it i just use normal soft cheese cloth. (you can get different types from different brands, some of the ones at Kmart are quite harsh and scratch the paintwork) You could probably find the softer stuff at cash supply shops, or Repco/Auto Pro.

Any suggestions for stuff easy to get off the shelf?

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

Any suggestions for stuff easy to get off the shelf?[/quote]

how bad is the paint?

mequires cut no2, then swirl remover, then the gold class or nxt wax, and i always finish with the show car polish.

after that the next 5 washes only need the gold class wash and a good chamois and shes shiny again.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 AU1 Tickford XR6 VCT - galaxy

SA, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
Wash the Beast once a week, the polish side, not much value as the paint is less than good.
I have tried 3 different cut compounds and none did the job on my boot lid or the bonnet.

I am guessing I need a person to make Lucifa look good as I am unable.

G'day George
Forget the cutting compounds and abrasive polishes. that is old school
Lucifa's spoiler needs a repaint but the rest needs a chemical clean then some GLARE products to deep clean, restore, enhance and protect the paint with it's glass particles
Sounds Like I need to go straight to Sydney after I get back from the USA and help you bring back Lucifa's Lustre.

Here's a tip for you all here - work on the same layer of clear coat over and over again. use non abrasive products like Meguiars show car glaze + tech wax or Prima Amigo, Blackfire gloss enhancing polish/glaze, Driven Marine Sealant glaze, Glare products or any glazes and sealants that are not going to remove paint. build up your paint gloss.

even if paint has faded somewhat or alot, there is no need for a cutting compound or cut n polish.
its faster than the chemical ways but not good if you want a mind blowing finish

June 9 - Sept 3 - in boise idaho USA
Sept 5 - ressurecting the AU XR Falcon and back in the car scene

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

wash it every one to two weeks depending with armor all heavy duty wash. polsih i used ultimate compound by meguiars s**t unreal aye, ma dads ute had grease stains and s**t all over it that i couldnt get off with normal polish and wash but the compound just cleared it with an electric buffer was amazed how good the paint looked after using it. then i used the meguiars spray wax didnt really like it and didnt give the paint a nice smooth finish so i used turtle wax with a hand buffer and that made the paint immaculate shiny as f**k.
and then i just tyre shine all the crappy black window linings and s**t and makes it look good again for awhile.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Aurora 98 wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:
Wash the Beast once a week, the polish side, not much value as the paint is less than good.
I have tried 3 different cut compounds and none did the job on my boot lid or the bonnet.

I am guessing I need a person to make Lucifa look good as I am unable.

G'day George
Forget the cutting compounds and abrasive polishes. that is old school
Lucifa's spoiler needs a repaint but the rest needs a chemical clean then some GLARE products to deep clean, restore, enhance and protect the paint with it's glass particles
Sounds Like I need to go straight to Sydney after I get back from the USA and help you bring back Lucifa's Lustre.

Here's a tip for you all here - work on the same layer of clear coat over and over again. use non abrasive products like Meguiars show car glaze + tech wax or Prima Amigo, Blackfire gloss enhancing polish/glaze, Driven Marine Sealant glaze, Glare products or any glazes and sealants that are not going to remove paint. build up your paint gloss.

even if paint has faded somewhat or alot, there is no need for a cutting compound or cut n polish.
its faster than the chemical ways but not good if you want a mind blowing finish

Yeah i agree with everything their Matty. Also once the car has been polished with something good like Prima Amigo for instance as soon as it has been sealed/waxed the best treatment after wards is your quick detailer sprays or even ones like Megs ultimate detail spray (expensive) this also helps to protect the wax/sealer and keeps the gloss at its maximum.

If you did this every 3-4 days (go over the car with a detailing spray) it will make cleaning a hell of a lot easier. Having said that thou, u gotta find the time. Buuuut if the cars not overly dirty and it hasn't been raining, it only takes 30minutes max to go over the whole car. Worth it IMO and make sure you use Microfiber products and not leather chamois or sham wows etc.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:29 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i wash mine once a week, and it gets a polish once a year!!!

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

gennerally rain once or twice in a week or two, polish, f**k how old do you think an ef is, not yet... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
meguiars for the leather does wonders autosol for Alloy, and silvo for chromework.
just not on the falcon, the taxi's only a baby.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

great replies back from all you guys, turns out i am doing a pretty decent job on washing my car considering the job the rest of you do, and only thing i find is i use the gold class rich leather conditioner from meguirs, only thing is it doesnt spread over all the leather properly, if u put it on one bit and rub in a motion it only covers the bit u first put it on??? any1 else getting this problem? annoys the hell out of me when it goes in the tiny seems and holes in the leather, in the ba parts of the leather seats have small holes in it.... gets in there soo wierd... but wait 10 mins and its gone lol

the polish im using is the meguirs carnauba wax, great even doing it by hand, but id love to own a electric buff.

daily drive's hard to keep clean arent they

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

I wash mine weekly. With polyglaze something arather.
I do my wheels with the same stuff.
Then chamois dry.
Motocraft tyre shine on the tyres and mouldings.
Degrease engine bay.
Really good vaccume.
Pretty good dust.
And when in the mornings the dew dosnt bead up on my roof its time for a polish.
So ill cut out all the scratches, and then polish. I use kitten liquid polishes. Lastes a month and a half.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

triple post wow,

i use a shamwow to dry mine, and also the turtle wax squeegee type thing u run it over the paintwork after the final rinse and it takes heaps of water off then hit it with the shamwow!

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2