Fordmods Logo

How to paint alloys? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: How to paint alloys?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 falcon futura

NSW, Australia

hey guys i got some cool gt alloys second hand but the silver paint is deteriated in the center of the rims making it half black, how should i paint it, what paint should, i want these rims, cheers.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

First of all, Welcome to fordmods.
Now, Regarding the wheels.....Have you thought about removing the paint all together and polishing them up? Polished rims look better than silver paint in my opinion. If you do want to paint them then look at the VHT range of automotive paints.

http://www.speco.com.au/vht_wheel.html

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL FAIRLANE

SA, Australia

Also may want to take care whilst painting...

Had a friend that did some on his laser and after three months they started chipping and peeling...

May want to get it professionaly done..

Just a thought.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

revcore wrote:
First of all, Welcome to fordmods.
Now, Regarding the wheels.....Have you thought about removing the paint all together and polishing them up? Polished rims look better than silver paint in my opinion. If you do want to paint them then look at the VHT range of automotive paints.

http://www.speco.com.au/vht_wheel.html

Not wrong revcore. one day I'll strip the silver of the rims & give it a light polish. those silver paint makes it look white under certain light conditions.

Oh yea, welcome to fordmods futura_mac!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Slick wrote:

Not wrong revcore. one day I'll strip the silver of the rims & give it a light polish. those silver paint makes it look white under certain light conditions.

yeah you might regret it after doing the first wheel. It took me about 12 hours per wheel to bring too a satisfactory standard. Did two wheels, thought f**k this so i painted all of them and sold 'em.

After youve stripped the paint, theres heaps of sanding to get the casting out of them. And i found the metal in alloy wheels is about 10 times harder then say polishing the BBM.

BEFORE SHOT

AFTER SHOT

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

The first photo, was that done with a chemical strip{bath}? I was thinking of taking it in to have it strip that way. or I could use my 15 litre industrial strength paint stripper & blast it off with 4900psi high pressure cleaner I use for work. then shine it of with autosol with fine steel wool.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Slick wrote:
The first photo, was that done with a chemical strip{bath}?

first pic is with paint still on it. Below are pics with paint stripper and paint removed ready for sanding. I know with the paint stripper i was using, it had to still be scrapped off, and need a few coats.

You have to sand it smooth after removing the paint as it wont shine at all with all the casting marks in the surface.

PAINT STRIPPER DOING ITS WORK

ALL THE PAINT REMOVED READY FOR SANDING

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I like the casting finish. maybe just a rub down with fine steel wool & autosol to remove that dull oxidation for a nice shine . that'll do me just fine! lol

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]