Fordmods Logo

Hub Adaptor illegal - NSW RTA 

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

if if you WELDED the rim and spacer together, it'd still be illega.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

maybe the wheel manufacturer had there wheel and the spacer engineered and tested so they could have it like that ? we are just putting our adaptors with any wheel there wheel comes with the factory spacer if you could get engineers cert for them it will be ok...

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

hub adaptors are part of the rotating mass of the original hub due to it being bolted on. Spacers very rarely become part of the rotating mass... hub adaptors if made correctly and ADR approved e.g Simmons brand then its no different to having a 0 offset wheel bolted onto your car. All the hub adaptor does is fill in that gap that they cutout of the +35offset wheel to make it like a 0 offset (preAu) wheel. If its done right then there is no weight on the wheelstuds. As for wheelbearings exploding, i'm not sure about that one...

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

NL_50_GHIA wrote:
hub adaptors are part of the rotating mass of the original hub due to it being bolted on. Spacers very rarely become part of the rotating mass... hub adaptors if made correctly and ADR approved e.g Simmons brand then its no different to having a 0 offset wheel bolted onto your car. All the hub adaptor does is fill in that gap that they cutout of the +35offset wheel to make it like a 0 offset (preAu) wheel. If its done right then there is no weight on the wheelstuds. As for wheelbearings exploding, i'm not sure about that one...

yes, they can be safe, they can work out the same as normal wheels etc etc.
but they are still illegal.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

they may very well be EFFalcon, but my engineers certificate was acknowledged by my insurance and the RTA. The bottom line is, if you are going to go AU/BA fitment wheels on pre AU fords, get the bolt on adapters with the full lip and make very sure that the wheelstuds aren't taking any of the load.

I guess its safety first, not looks... but if my engineer says they are ok, the rta and insurance say ok, I hope i don't plough into anything due to a wheel falling off.

Spacers, illegal. Bolt on hub adaptors made correctly - Legal (until someone cleans up other road users / peds).

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

NL_50_GHIA wrote:
they may very well be EFFalcon, but my engineers certificate was acknowledged by my insurance and the RTA. The bottom line is, if you are going to go AU/BA fitment wheels on pre AU fords, get the bolt on adapters with the full lip and make very sure that the wheelstuds aren't taking any of the load.

I guess its safety first, not looks... but if my engineer says they are ok, the rta and insurance say ok, I hope i don't plough into anything due to a wheel falling off.

Spacers, illegal. Bolt on hub adaptors made correctly - Legal (until someone cleans up other road users / peds).

Thats what i was gonna say yes rules and regulations are there but there are also backddoors loop holes and alternatives to all legal legislation....if an angineer can adr apporve a modification and you have it on paper that is a legal document that law informent..transport authorities insurers and so on must accept as being safe and road legal....an engineer said hed approve the setup im using to run my 19"x8.0" xhp sabres with bolt on multi fit stud pattern hub adaptors.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hub adaptors or spacers what ever tou call them are illegal. I've already argued the point and lost. If its not a moulded part of the wheel then it's going to cost you

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

exactly.
THEY ARE ILLEGAL.
its in plain english.
wanna risk it, go ahead.
if u can get them engineered etc then they may well be legal, but until then, you'll find they're not legal.
but whos car is 100% legal anyway

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I am still all for engineered bolt on hub adaptors.

And I quote

"The use of wheel spacers or adapters is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.."

They did not say

"The use of wheel spacers or bolt on hub adaptors that are hub centric and act basically in the same way as an AU fitment wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer. By the way, us the RTA are mentally unstable...."

Cops, insurance and even the RTA inspectors themselves have not given me any trouble from day one. RTA stamped PASS and thats without cheating.

They (bolt on hub adaptors) are illegal by the unfortunate quote: "judgement made before judgement passed" and are the victim of an over rated mass chinese whisper that has passed on from forum to forum. Even the RTA has incorrectly worded their own guidelines much to the confusion of many.

So to quote a fellow Ford Modder (you know who you are) that posted similar remarks like me on another thread about bolt on hub adapters vs legality:

"For f**k sake, hub adapters aren't illegal!!!"

wheel spacers and wheel adapters are not bolt on hub adaptors....

I think the plain english isn't so plain according to the RTA.

Enough crapping on about this, there are enough of us with engineers certificates and RTA and insurance passes (some even that have had accidents) to know the truth about bolt on hub adaptors vs wheel adaptors or spacers i'm gonna talk about real world issues on another thread like increasing the capacity of my cars engine from 302 to 331 cubic inches.

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

illegal.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
illegal.

Correct they are illegal!

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

simple theory

if you think there legal, DONT f**k BUY THEM AND SHUT THE HELL UP!

with my falcon i was pulled over several times, never had a problem with them. insurance knew about it and never had a problem with claims either or inspection of the vehicle at their care centre (NRMA). so for such a "highly" illegal thing it seems that none of the 'law' side really cared about it.

to top it off for you vic whinging anti-hub adapters mardi gras girls, my car got registered there when it was sold and the car went through the pits WITH the freakin hub adapaters on.. GUESS what.. it passed, fUNNY THat isnt it?

so sick of hearing everybody continue this drama about hub adapters, if their so f**k illegal then why the hell can you use them and get away with it?

the twin turbo xf (green) features in ford mags and ford shows has had them for over 5 years and also had no problems with scrutineering and rta.

seems like only the whingers have the problems, my god

The police will whinge to you more and fine you for your "aw ma gawd baby" sik pod filter s**t you put on your car, or those s**t neons or cheap a** supercheap rainbow headlights before they care about.

So legal or not legal i never had a problem and i know other people who use them and never had a problem. Go install your pod filter and be quiet.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

What you said don't mean s**t...they are still illegal, guess we'll be see ya at the mardi gras Fuzion, you may even find your life there, cause you don't have one now!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next