Fordmods Logo

I have an 1996 EL, and was thinking about an exhaust.. 

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: I have an 1996 EL, and was thinking about an exhaust..
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Fairmont EL

VIC, Australia

i want one that is loud, and sounds tough aswell.
does anyone have any ideas as to what i would need?
i was also woundering if id be able to install it myself with my mates, or is it quite a difficult job?

any ideas/help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Post subject: Re: I have an 1996 EL, and was thinking about an exhaust..
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

A 2.5 inch cat-back exhaust is probably what you're after, grab a single muffler and one resonator, it'll sounds nice but not drone on highways.

Installing it yourself isn't that hard, but if your don't have the stuff necessary (welder + someway of getting the car high enough to make it a bearable job) it's better to just get an exhaust shop to do it.

Mine cost $350-80 I think, it was a present so I'm not 100% sure. That was a 2.5" cat-back with a single muff and res, sounds great without making your ears bleed.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

lukey1990 wrote:
A 2.5 inch cat-back exhaust is probably what you're after, grab a single muffler and one resonator, it'll sounds nice but not drone on highways.

Installing it yourself isn't that hard, but if your don't have the stuff necessary (welder + someway of getting the car high enough to make it a bearable job) it's better to just get an exhaust shop to do it.

Mine cost $350-80 I think, it was a present so I'm not 100% sure. That was a 2.5" cat-back with a single muff and res, sounds great without making your ears bleed.

Awesome, was this price including installation?
Any particular brands better then others or are they all much the same?

thanks heaps for your help :D

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Yeah it included installation, I can't remember the brand of muffler though.

I'm not really familiar with muffler brands with their pros and cons, talk to where ever you're buying the parts from and see what they have in the price range you want.

BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

lukey1990 wrote:
Yeah it included installation, I can't remember the brand of muffler though.

I'm not really familiar with muffler brands with their pros and cons, talk to where ever you're buying the parts from and see what they have in the price range you want.

okay will do.
Thanks heaps for all your help.
Nice cars btw.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Cheers mate, you should chuck up a couple of yours.

BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

LukeEL wrote:
i was also woundering if id be able to install it myself with my mates, or is it quite a difficult job?

Hey Mate,
I recently installed a new 2.5" Redback with no rear resi on my EL XR6, and it sounds pretty good. I also had an EL futura where i had the same system but with a rear resi. personally I like it without one but like lukey1990, said it can get dronny at certain rev ranges. \

with a rear resi there was no drone but I found that it was a bit too quiet for my liking.

without a rear resi it get dronny if your cruising at around 50 to 60 K's, above 60K's there is no drone.

where abouts in Melbourne do you live? I got mine done at Mr. Muffler in Dandenong.
It was a Redback 2.5" Cat-Back, Straight through muffler (There are two types to choose from, Straight and Triflow, Dont know which one is better), with no Rear Resi, and I got to choose a chrome Tip. All up $400 fully installed, they even had to replace some of the rubbers and play around with the exhaust a bit to make it fit nicely.

This is a pic of it.
Attachment:
P8170008.JPG
P8170008.JPG [ 164.15 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

Peter

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

im running a eb with a 2.5 inch lukey system from cat back no resinater i get noise when i plant my foot and when at speed i dont notice it and just cruising around town people look but have never been pulled over by the fuzz.

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

plper1 wrote:
LukeEL wrote:

Hey Mate,
I recently installed a new 2.5" Redback with no rear resi on my EL XR6, and it sounds pretty good. I also had an EL futura where i had the same system but with a rear resi. personally I like it without one but like lukey1990, said it can get dronny at certain rev ranges. \

with a rear resi there was no drone but I found that it was a bit too quiet for my liking.

without a rear resi it get dronny if your cruising at around 50 to 60 K's, above 60K's there is no drone.

where abouts in Melbourne do you live? I got mine done at Mr. Muffler in Dandenong.
It was a Redback 2.5" Cat-Back, Straight through muffler (There are two types to choose from, Straight and Triflow, Dont know which one is better), with no Rear Resi, and I got to choose a chrome Tip. All up $400 fully installed, they even had to replace some of the rubbers and play around with the exhaust a bit to make it fit nicely.

This is a pic of it.
Attachment:
P8170008.JPG

Peter

Very nice mate.
Drone dosen't actually bother me to much to be honest.
I think ill go for an exhaust without the res because I want a very noticable diffrence, not something quiet lol

Also between straight and triflow, what is the diffrence?

I have heard redback exhaust can be a little quiet, that's why im thinking of going with an x force because I guy on here has an x force on his EL and it sounds real tough, but I dunno haha.

400 dollars is preety good with a tip and everything included, and I live in langwarrin and go to tafe in dandynong so Mr Muffler would probably be a good idea.

Very nice XR by the way, thanks for your help :D
And sorry bout the long message ahah

Also any idea on how long you had to wait for it to get installed? Cos id prefurrable want to get in done within the next week because im on holidays.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 06 BF XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,
Had just the cat back on mine for some time before getting my extractor.
I was running a redback with muffler and resi sounded nice, cost me $250 and had the old mate fit it for me as he was fixing my sisters at the time aswel so worked out nice.
No drone but if u dont care about that I would go no resi but also not sure on legal issues with that?
I was told you had to have a resi or hotdog at one stage but not sure how true that was.

If you want to have it sounding nice save some cash and get the whole system done.
Di filippo headers and cat, redback exhaust cost me about $1200 and sounds damn nice in my opinion.
But hey thats just me :D

Current car 2011 FG XR6 Ute Limited Edition

Past cars:06 BF XR6
97 EL

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Very nice mate.
I think ill go for an exhaust without the res because I want a very noticable diffrence, not something quiet lol

I have heard redback exhaust can be a little quiet, that's why im thinking of going with an x force because I guy on here has an x force on his EL and it sounds real tough, but I dunno haha.

400 dollars is preety good with a tip and everything included, and I live in langwarrin and go to tafe in dandynong so Mr Muffler would probably be a good idea.

Also any idea on how long you had to wait for it to get installed? Cos id prefurrable want to get in done within the next week because im on holidays.[/quote]

Thanks Man

I dont know the difference between the straight and the tri flow, you may need to call the company up and ask them about that.

with the install, it took about 1hr to 1.5 hrs to do, and the only reason it took so long was because they had to fiddle around with the tip and the pipe going over the axial, so not that long really, and these guys have been doin this s**t for a long time. I booked the car in the morning at bout 10am, they ordered the parts, went back to the place at 3pm and at about 4 or 4:30 i was out.

I was thinking about getting an X-Force, but when I called them up they said that they dont do any bolt on systems for an EL, I knew that was BS but I needed to change my exhaust quickily. So i just stuck with the Redback.

BTW, be sure not to get the exhaust too loud as mine is sitting on the legal limit atm 'I think'. legal limit is 90 db at 3000 or 4000 revs cant remember, but if its too loud cops may pull you over. and just cos they got nothing better to do.

Peter

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

plper1 wrote:
Very nice mate.

Also any idea on how long you had to wait for it to get installed? Cos id prefurrable want to get in done within the next week because im on holidays.

Thanks Man

I dont know the difference between the straight and the tri flow, you may need to call the company up and ask them about that.

with the install, it took about 1hr to 1.5 hrs to do, and the only reason it took so long was because they had to fiddle around with the tip and the pipe going over the axial, so not that long really, and these guys have been doin this s**t for a long time. I booked the car in the morning at bout 10am, they ordered the parts, went back to the place at 3pm and at about 4 or 4:30 i was out.

I was thinking about getting an X-Force, but when I called them up they said that they dont do any bolt on systems for an EL, I knew that was BS but I needed to change my exhaust quickily. So i just stuck with the Redback.

BTW, be sure not to get the exhaust too loud as mine is sitting on the legal limit atm 'I think'. legal limit is 90 db at 3000 or 4000 revs cant remember, but if its too loud cops may pull you over. and just cos they got nothing better to do.

Peter[/quote]

Oh ohk I might try ring around and see if a place will do a bolt in x force.

Why such a hurry for an exhaust by the way haha?

Yeah I know about regulations, my car has no mods though so if the exhaust is a little loud hopefully it won't be a prob lol

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I was in a hurry cos my muffler was really screwed at the time and since at that time i had some spare time and I used to have a redback i thought why not.

with the bolt on x-force, apperently a non-irs AU exhaust will fit, cos they are supposed to be the same, so give that a go when your calling around

Peter

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

plper1 wrote:
I was in a hurry cos my muffler was really screwed at the time and since at that time i had some spare time and I used to have a redback i thought why not.

with the bolt on x-force, apperently a non-irs AU exhaust will fit, cos they are supposed to be the same, so give that a go when your calling around

Peter

how would i get a hold of an non-irs AU exhaust?

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

GetToTheGone wrote:
Hey mate,
Had just the cat back on mine for some time before getting my extractor.
I was running a redback with muffler and resi sounded nice, cost me $250 and had the old mate fit it for me as he was fixing my sisters at the time aswel so worked out nice.
No drone but if u dont care about that I would go no resi but also not sure on legal issues with that?
I was told you had to have a resi or hotdog at one stage but not sure how true that was.

If you want to have it sounding nice save some cash and get the whole system done.
Di filippo headers and cat, redback exhaust cost me about $1200 and sounds damn nice in my opinion.
But hey thats just me :D

i will get the whole system done eventually, but money is an issue so far now im just going to be doing this bit by bit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next