Fordmods Logo

Is it possible to remove a rear windscreen from an EL sedan? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Is it possible to remove a rear windscreen from an EL sedan?
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi All,

I have an EL sedan I'm wrecking that has tinted windows. I've swapped all windows except for the back one into my EF, and I'm now wondering if it's possible to remove the back window, and if so is it hard?

Thanks,

Justin.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6, Blueprint, Turbo

VIC, Australia

my rear window was removed without smashing when i had the respray done, its back in now.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

They are an encapsulated screen, and therefore it is not recommended to refit them. Buy a new one from Ford, because the rubber is not removeable, and therfore, lots of silastic is required.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmm, does encapsulated mean it's structurally loaded, and not just sitting there?

From what you're saying I take it that the rubber around the window is not reusable?

Sounds like it might be cheaper and easier to just get the existing window tinted.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

They are reusable it's just alot harder to get them out because you have to cut them out from the inside to try and not damage the rubber.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

We use a special tool, like a 90 degree blade, slips under the window and cuts the rubber, piss easy.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Black Betty wrote:
They are reusable it's just alot harder to get them out because you have to cut them out from the inside to try and not damage the rubber.

So if I cut with a stanley knife from the inside, I should be able to get the window out?

If so, is it possible to swap my back window rubber from my other car to this window as it is in much better condition?

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:23 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Private9 wrote:
Black Betty wrote:

So if I cut with a stanley knife from the inside, I should be able to get the window out?

If so, is it possible to swap my back window rubber from my other car to this window as it is in much better condition?

It is easier with tool that bowsaw described and no you cannot use the other rubber encaptulated means the rubber is made as part of the glass an windscreen mob will charge around 100 to remove and refit a rear it can be done no problem but if you only want it for the tint it would cheaper to get yours tinted

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nlbxr6 wrote:
Private9 wrote:
Black Betty wrote:

It is easier with tool that bowsaw described and no you cannot use the other rubber encaptulated means the rubber is made as part of the glass an windscreen mob will charge around 100 to remove and refit a rear it can be done no problem but if you only want it for the tint it would cheaper to get yours tinted

Thanks for that! Yeah, I've decided to simply get my EF window tinted, far too much work involved in changing windows (having said that I've already done the rest!)

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

removal is easy if you dont have the tool. Simply get the cable used for the bonnet release and have it bare.

Then use that to cut the rubber out. Its a bit of work but they come out. You may need another person to help you.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stomper wrote:
removal is easy if you dont have the tool. Simply get the cable used for the bonnet release and have it bare.

Then use that to cut the rubber out. Its a bit of work but they come out. You may need another person to help you.

I was all set on giving it a go, but the outside rubber isn't the best, the one on my EF is much better - and seeing as the rubber's cannot be swapped, I think I'll just leave it!

Maybe when the car's basically a shell, I might have a go, as it won't really matter if I stuff it!

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

ive changed a couple...was electric...dont know if that makes a diff but we got a couple out and changed them..

in an ef that is

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]