Fordmods Logo

Is there any aerodynamic benefits of tickford lower kit? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Is there any aerodynamic benefits of tickford lower kit?
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ive noticed on the odd occasion when I get a rush of blood my Ef Fairmonts front end starts to raise, leaving not the nicest feeling through the steering wheel ( feels like Im not completely in control of the front end). It generally happens over around 120. Im thinking about getting a Tickford lower kit on it in the not too distant future, does the lower kit add any significance to the aerodynamics or does it just pretty up the car?
Would tickford bonnet scoops be more beneficial than the kit for Aerodynamics? Im hoping not as I wanted to just leave the bonnet stock and with no rear spoiler. I dont tramp it too often and rarely do over 120, but I thought Id ask.
The car's already on new lows and shocks by the way too.

Post subject: Re: Is there any aerodynamic benefits of tickford lower kit?
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

VIC, Australia

I could be incorrect but I don't think it would do anything, spoilers and kits on every day street cars like an EF don't provide anything to enhance aerodynamics, they just look good and if anything add more weight!

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I was thinking that as the front bits only really a small add on. Is it a common thing with these or is there something else I could do to prevent it?
Good point too about the weight of the kit. How much roughly do they weigh?

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
Ive noticed on the odd occasion when I get a rush of blood my Ef Fairmonts front end starts to raise, leaving not the nicest feeling through the steering wheel ( feels like Im not completely in control of the front end). It generally happens over around 120. Im thinking about getting a Tickford lower kit on it in the not too distant future, does the lower kit add any significance to the aerodynamics or does it just pretty up the car?

strange that it does on lows?? .. is the front much higher than the rear? reason i ask is a val i had years ago was high in the front & with a bit of speed [no way near yours] the steering would get very vague. was fine as soon as i dropped the front lower. otherwise it appears that the air is getting under the front & building up there raising the front?

79raven wrote:
Would tickford bonnet scoops be more beneficial than the kit for Aerodynamics? Im hoping not as I wanted to just leave the bonnet stock and with no rear spoiler. I dont tramp it too often and rarely do over 120, but I thought Id ask.

no idea with the scoops

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No aero benefit whatsoever.
Id be more worried about the s**t E series brakes when doing more then 120kmh then the front lifting due to aerodynamics...........................

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:15 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

your shocks cannot control the springs properly by the sounds of it.

My racecan has lowered shocks and KYB's, not fancy stuff by any stretch either, I've had it over 200 a few times now, and will do again this weekend at eastern creek :P :P

The car feels planted and gives you confidence to push it, As our resident jew has advised, E series brakes are woeful at best. But then compression braking and sliding it into a corner is a bucket load of fun in it own right. I've got decent pads on it now so hopefully it lasts a bit longer before epic brake fade kicks in.

In saying that, I've never had an e series that lifts its nose as much as what you are suggesting. what spring and shock combo do you have in anyway? better not be recycled s**t.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

King lows and ( this might be the reason) Monroe Gt shocks. All brand new installed October/November last year. I had a Vs commy that did the same on stock springs at 200, The Ef use to do it at above 120 before the shock/spring change but seeing the Ef is on lows I would have assumed it would not happen anymore. I handles like its on rails around corners, just this lift at speed. The steering gets that light its scary, could it be not the front lifting but the speed controlled steering doing this?
Haha, Yeah I know Matt, even with slotted/ drilled rotors and performance pads I still dont have enormous faith in the single piston calipers.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Nope the Speed sensitive steering should not be in operation at that point. sounds like your shocks cannot control the springs and are letting the springs lift the nose. Does it nose peck over choppy road or bump steer?

I have a car.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Johnson stroker wrote:
Nope the Speed sensitive steering should not be in operation at that point. sounds like your shocks cannot control the springs and are letting the springs lift the nose. Does it nose peck over choppy road or bump steer?

Nope. Handles like a rock every other time, just not good at speed. It amazing how good it actually corners, even at speed. Its mainly on a straight. I can easily do 120 around a corner but in a straight line it feels horrid. I know bump steer too as I have it in the Mq at the moment. The Ef has also got new upper/lower ball joints, tickford sharkfin's on tickford spec tyres and all tyres were not long ago balanced and alignment was done. Tyre are new Maxxis performance directional tyres.
Once she winds up over 120 ( its not due to acceleration itself but the speed) in a straight line, the front end feels like its not even touching the ground and the steering is paper light.
I got the shocks and springs new in a package from a suspension place in Melbourne ( got them online from a shop, can get the name of the shop if needed). I was going to go Lovells but was told by the shop that kings are better and also have the progressive springs. I still reckon Lovells would have been better. I also didnt know about Monroe gt's until after I got them ( being a budget shock), I thought Munroes were supposedly good. They use to be years ago.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I will say again though, Im not saying I do over 120 often, but sometimes blood rush pushes the throttle a bit deeper.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I know that sounds weird about only in a straight line but it really hooks into the corners well. I assumed seeing it was on a straight that it would have to be the mass air under the car. It does have a small fin on one of the guards under the engine ( sits under the swaybar and the fin goes down maybe 5-7cm, is about the length of the engine and is centrally positioned), but I would have assumed that was stock. Could that be the cause?

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:08 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

to me it sounds like a bush, ball joint or alignment issue..

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

alignment should be fine and she was doing it just after alignment was done by tyrepower Penrith, ball joints seem ok, but havent been replaced. The bloke that did the alignment did say its that low it almost needed a camber kit..... even though its on lows tickford spec. Could that be the problem?
I get no play in the steering or unnormal sounds from the front ( except nolathane swaybar bushes squeaking). I might check out the other bushes up front tomorrow.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
alignment should be fine and she was doing it just after alignment was done by tyrepower Penrith, ball joints seem ok, but havent been replaced. The bloke that did the alignment did say its that low it almost needed a camber kit..... even though its on lows tickford spec. Could that be the problem?
I get no play in the steering or unnormal sounds from the front ( except nolathane swaybar bushes squeaking). I might check out the other bushes up front tomorrow.

Sorry, all front ball joints were replaced by Active Auto in December last year. Was told they were quality ( should have been for $800 for upper/lower both sides). I was thinking tie rod ends, they have not been replaced but look ok. Sorry, been spending so much time with the Mq's front end trying to sort out a few wrinkles I got a bit mind f**k.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Check your front end suspension carefully, something may be loose.

In saying that, my car does similar at around 130+. The wheel becomes very light, although I thought it is normal since I don't have Speed Sensitive Power Steering (SSPS). From what I have experienced, the SSPS allows for easier low speed steering while at high speeds, stiffens up the system. If you have SSPS, get the switch checked out, it may be broken or require maintenance.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next