Fordmods Logo

ive finished doing up my spoiler now for the legalities 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ive finished doing up my spoiler now for the legalities
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

apologies if this has been asked numerous times before i did do a search with not much luck .. its a sedan (obviously) .. do i have to have the rear window brake light disconnected as the spoiler has the brake leds in it .. ive looked on qld transport and all i could on it in relation to spoilers is that it must fit the boot (haha go figure . handy advice there) if anyone knows a link that i can go to and read and if you wouldnt mind posting it ... any advice welcome ..

thanks
cindy

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:04 am 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: AU ute

ACT, Australia

Australian Design Rules state you should only have 3 brake lights. I guess that's to stop the Mario's from blinding following cars when they fit their cars out in the same way as they turn their trucks into mobile fair grounds...
So technically, you should disconnect that light. One wonders if you'd ever get booked for it, but if you're a bit of a burnout boof you might give the cops a bit of extra ammo.

Commercial Sponsor
Canberra Car Styling
[url=canberracarstyling.com.au]Image[/url]

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

thankyou .. not long got off phone with modifications and said it was a federal office of road safety do stipulate that the back window light must be not working if the spoiler had leds .. apparently due to glare from the top of the spoiler and dazzling other drivers ... i would have thought the more brake lights the better .. but i thankyou very much for your reply ..

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

no im not a burnout boof .. im a typical female granny driver under the age of 40 :roll:

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

strackie51 wrote:
apparently due to glare from the top of the spoiler and dazzling other drivers

I don't see how they justify that because the light in the rear window can just as easily blind a driver from glare from the boot without a spoiler.
My boot is highly polished and waxed and I would say would have a fair whack of glare.

Depends on the angle I guess.

Funny how the law works.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

This has to be wrong, as my car has both spoiler and window brake lights, from factory.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

OsbornThomas wrote:
This has to be wrong, as my car has both spoiler and window brake lights, from factory.

Your spoiler wasn't "factory" fitted then ;)

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

this whole topic is a bit retarded really i have seen a many that have boot and wing brake lights aswell of normal brake lights mostly ef / els and a half a dozen higher spec EAs... i doubt it very much that mister plod will go Oooh Oooh too many brakes lights etc etc

I just recently fixed my window brake light after not having one since aug 06,, been pulled over a many atime for random breath tests and idiot patrols (you know the ones idiot coppers got nothing better to do).. never once a comment about brake lights etc etc..

just chill i doubt it highly you will get defected for the fact of having a window brake light as well as a spolier one

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

BF 2 XR with factory fitted FPV GT spoiler. rear window brake light does not exist

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:44 am 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: AU ute

ACT, Australia

Froudey wrote:
this whole topic is a bit retarded really i have seen a many that have boot and wing brake lights aswell of normal brake lights mostly ef / els and a half a dozen higher spec EAs... i doubt it very much that mister plod will go Oooh Oooh too many brakes lights etc etc

I just recently fixed my window brake light after not having one since aug 06,, been pulled over a many atime for random breath tests and idiot patrols (you know the ones idiot coppers got nothing better to do).. never once a comment about brake lights etc etc..

just chill i doubt it highly you will get defected for the fact of having a window brake light as well as a spolier one

You're undoubtedly right. I've been fitting brake light wings since they came into existence and it was only a year or so ago that I found out the legal position. I've never had a customer come back and tell me they'd been nicked for having too many brake lights.
Nonetheless, it's always handy to know what the legal position is and then you can make your own choice.

Commercial Sponsor
Canberra Car Styling
[url=canberracarstyling.com.au]Image[/url]

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ive got a window light and a spoiler light on the SR that was factory fitted. guess ford couldnt afford to remove the window mounted one and fit a plain parcel shelf?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:04 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

i just got of the phone with regencey park vehicle nspections in adelaide and if having an boot spoiler fitted the brake light in the back window must be disabled other wise it a defecable offence

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Well, go figure, youre actually not allowed to have non functioning lights ona vehicle! Spot lights, side lights, and clearance lights all included. If you put three sidelights down the side of your ute, and one goes out, you can get done for it! Even though theyre not needed, and didnt even come from factory.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

My XR only has the spoiler brake light.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Well, go figure, youre actually not allowed to have non functioning lights ona vehicle! Spot lights, side lights, and clearance lights all included. If you put three sidelights down the side of your ute, and one goes out, you can get done for it! Even though theyre not needed, and didnt even come from factory.

my thoughts exactly , i did read somewhere that all factory fitted lights must be operational yet when you add another light like that in the spoiler then you have to take out globe whatever in the back window . so then your in breach for a non operational factory fitted light (or so i would think).as you said when you fit extra lights they too must work even if they are there for looks thats why im not going for more than the driving lights .

however from an insurance point of view id rather clarify, be legal on the road and be covered .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next