Fordmods Logo

LED INdicator and Stop/Tailight 

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

they are a 2 stage kinda light. one dim and one bright. but its not that noticable.

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:35 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ReGIE,
Just so you know, we spent almost $3000 on buying LED junk from all corners of the planet. Spent almost 3 month playing around with them in all kid of conditions.
Only a handful of them were OK and could 'almost' pass.
Rest are probably a backyard operation of Mum, Dad and all the Kids, their respective partners, grand children and all the neighbourhood children sitting in a shed soldering these LEDs.
Being paid few measly cents for a days work.
That is probably why they are so cheap. Well actually they are not, since both the importer and retailer are making a handsome profit on selling them to public.

But as I mentioned earlier just wait a little longer and there are some real good stuff in the pipelines that will soon hit the market.

For those who can’t wait any longer and MUST have it NOW, then resort to the method used by get EFd , also known as getFEd Method.
(Glue Tag/chewing gum etc....)

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:36 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ReGIE,
Just so you know, we spent almost $3000 on buying LED junk from all corners of the planet. Spent almost 3 month playing around with them in all kid of conditions.
Only a handful of them were OK and could 'almost' pass.
Rest are probably a backyard operation of Mum, Dad and all the Kids, their respective partners, grand children and all the neighbourhood children sitting in a shed soldering these LEDs.
Being paid few measly cents for a days work.
That is probably why they are so cheap. Well actually they are not, since both the importer and retailer are making a handsome profit on selling them to public.

But as I mentioned earlier just wait a little longer and there are some real good stuff in the pipelines that will soon hit the market.

For those who can’t wait any longer and MUST have it NOW, then resort to the method used by get EFd , also known as getFEd Method.
(Glue Tag/chewing gum etc....)

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 97 R33, EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Mavs i agree what u say bout LED tail lights.But in my defence mine r great in both night and day.I even swapped cars with my mate to see for myself how they faired verses standard globes.The LED produced a more intence light (as u know)and wasnt a problem viewing from angles.BUT...anything more than viewing from 45deg the light starts to fade.

P.S The get EFd method (i like it)

CHEERS

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

would it be better to fit clear or coloured globes in?
In my EF's front indicators they are clear so obviously will have to fit yellow LED globes.
But the rear indicators and taillights the plastic is coloured, so do I fit coloured globes or is better to fit clear globes in there?

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 97 R33, EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Ive got red.seems to be ok.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:19 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
In my EF's front indicators they are clear so obviously will have to fit yellow LED globes.
But the rear indicators and taillights the plastic is coloured, so do I fit coloured globes or is better to fit clear globes in there?

Obvously clear ones would be more visible behind a colourd lens.

I am not against LEDs, No no no, it is just that the stuff sold on the market today have few major flaws that still need to be wrangled out before they can be used for one of the most important safety features of a vehicle. Visibility on the road.

Those of you who have LED bulbs, try to replace the LEDs with stronger ones and try to bend and spread them so they form a sphere.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Yeah a dimmer inserted in the parker circuit would be helpful there that way when u brake people can actually tell rather than looking for other taillights to suddenly come on

Big Kev, i read on the LED website that low voltage is the big killer for LED's (aparantly). How would we overcome this?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
In order to make a difference, i.e. such as in the case of LED’s used as OEM , bearing in mind that they have used a different and far better type of reflectors in their head/tail light assys., you need to use, say LED’s with 8-9000mcd.

So unless you are prepare to buy one of these sets and spend some time and a bit more money to replace the LED’s to higher mcd. Just wait and see if they introduce something better, worth spending your money on.
You never know what is around the corner.

However, as we all know LED’s last much longer, use less power, develop less heat which are the only plus we could give these aftermarket LED replacement bulbs, presently available....

Can't have been too much research in your 'survey'. I have two problems with your post.

1. Post the results.
2. The hyperbright LED brake lights here have 9680mcd LEDs in them and they've been on the market for almost a year now.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Obvously clear ones would be more visible behind a colourd lens.

I am not against LEDs, No no no, it is just that the stuff sold on the market today have few major flaws that still need to be wrangled out before they can be used for one of the most important safety features of a vehicle. Visibility on the road.

Those of you who have LED bulbs, try to replace the LEDs with stronger ones and try to bend and spread them so they form a sphere.

Clear ones are not more visible. The white LEDs put out the entire spectrum of visible light only so that the lens cuts out 90% of the light and only gives you the red portion of the light. The coloured LEDs give you the spectrum you need so that next to none of the light output is filtered out by the lens.

If you want a sphere LED, then use this one... only avaible in white though, if it will fit behind the lens.

Again, I have serious doubts about the extent of your research. It seems like you've just gone to Repco, AutoBarn, Super Cheap and Bursons and got what they had.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LED INdicator and Stop/Tailight
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Ok any news on good LED bulbs? Surely there are good ones available now? Like these maybe?Image

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I made my own set of led taillights for a 37 ford they run 4 each of luxeon red, amber and white leds for them the luxeon leds are the same that they use in daytime running lights and have a much higher output . I have to modify them with a reflector cause i forgot to put one in ut 4 of these leds put out more light than the standard globe in my opinion i wouldnt mind having them tested to prove it but they are far from cheap . the leds are about $2 to 10 each $20 if you get them from jaycar and then you need a driver $7 to $20 for every 4 leds

Attachments:
brake lights.JPG
brake lights.JPG [ 17.57 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
37 ford tail light.JPG
37 ford tail light.JPG [ 25.46 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
10 mm led board.JPG
10 mm led board.JPG [ 12.25 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Cheers bloke, Yes I now about the Luxeon LEDS but I'm after more of an off-the-shelf item in this case.
Just wondered if they have perfected them yet?
They should have by now I would have thought?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3