Fordmods Logo

LED INdicator and Stop/Tailight 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: LED INdicator and Stop/Tailight
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone fitted LED Indicator or Stop/Tailight globes to there Falcoooooon?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

i ordered both sets and they should be on their way, ill let ya know when i know ;)

some info: http://www.ledshoponline.com

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

i got them both.

they are bright and look cool :)

i will take a piccy when it gets dark. u have to get a modified flasher can for the indicators to flash at the correct speed

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I too would like to do this after seeing LED indicators on a BMW 3 series. Looks very modern.

But... do these LED globe replacements have a wide spread of light? You usually find that they only have a concentrated beam compared to a normal filament bulb.

Post subject: ??
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

More to the point are they LEGAL and would they cause an accident due to thier directional light.
OK for break lights but not for indicators unless they have sideways mouted leds as well as forward fasing ones.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Post subject: ??
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

My BAD, should have looked at them on the web site sorry.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
But... do these LED globe replacements have a wide spread of light? You usually find that they only have a concentrated beam compared to a normal filament bulb.

No like any LED cluster setup they are stil directional but thats what u want for a tail/parker light only really the people behind u need to now there on...they are on the other hand lods brighter than the normal globes and thus producing more light it will light up the a** of your car alot more....being directional they still wont effect or impair the vision of vehicle occupants in the line of light....they arent like that.

Im pretty sure LED tail lights and indicators are ADR apporved not sure as to whether there have been specific legislation about everyday cars as apposed to trucks etc and whether or not its okay to have as a non standard accessory.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I was reading the FAQ on the website mentioned above that the replacement LED clusters have a 50* light angle. Pretty much what i would like to know is would the LED's light up the whole indicator/brake lense or would it just be a small 'spot' in the middle of the lense?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
I was reading the FAQ on the website mentioned above that the replacement LED clusters have a 50* light angle. Pretty much what i would like to know is would the LED's light up the whole indicator/brake lense or would it just be a small 'spot' in the middle of the lense?

good question im guessing it will light up the whole lense as it should reflect and deflect light inside should be like a normal bulb setup where u can still see light is more intense where the bulb is located id think with the LEDs setup that this would be more noticeable....ryans pics should resolve this query tho

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yes agreed, hurry up with the visuals Ryan haha! Another question...how would you go about changing 'dual filament' globes over (for brake and park lights). Im just trying to picture how many globes there are in the EF/EL lenses... 1x indicator 1 x reverse 1 x dual filament (brake and park)? Is that right?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ReGiE wrote:
u have to get a modified flasher can for the indicators to flash at the correct speed

tell me more about this? do they flash too fast otherwise?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yes you do have to change it over, i think it has to do with electrical loads on the relay. When a bulb blows = your indicators flash faster = not as much load on the relay. LED's draw a bucketload less current so you have to get a different indicator relay. I have heard that people have soldered resistors into them but you can just get a replacement relay.

I have no idea where you can get them (twr7cx, you should know, you work at Repco dont ya?), or how much they cost.

Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by fordman351 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:15 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Hi,
falconea, You have a valid point there.

Recently, we did a survey of LED bulbs in the market. We purchased several sets from different people retailing them, even the ones on eBay.

Unfortunately, after testing all of them, we found majority of them to promise much more than they can or would like to deliver.
Using special equipment testing these bulbs, we found that due to, as you put it, “their directional lightâ€￾ and most important of all the lack of brightness of the LED’s used. These replacement bulbs are far less visible in the traffic than most standard bulbs.
Majority of LED’s used in production of these bulbs were around 1500mcd.

In order to make a difference, i.e. such as in the case of LED’s used as OEM , bearing in mind that they have used a different and far better type of reflectors in their head/tail light assys., you need to use, say LED’s with 8-9000mcd.

So unless you are prepare to buy one of these sets and spend some time and a bit more money to replace the LED’s to higher mcd. Just wait and see if they introduce something better, worth spending your money on.
You never know what is around the corner.

However, as we all know LED’s last much longer, use less power, develop less heat which are the only plus we could give these aftermarket LED replacement bulbs, presently available....

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Just went down to the garage then and had a look at what globes there are in the tail lights, and there is definetly a 'dual filament' globe (for the brakes and park). Soooo ... LED's might be out for brakes, but indicators are still go.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
Just went down to the garage then and had a look at what globes there are in the tail lights, and there is definetly a 'dual filament' globe (for the brakes and park). Soooo ... LED's might be out for brakes, but indicators are still go.

ive got dual filiment LED brake lights. i dont remember where i got them from though. i will have a look through recipts and find the place (it was in queensland if i remember correctly)

i got the indicators (all 6 units) for the whole car and a modified flasher unit for around the 80 doller mark. that was from a bloke who went to all the motorcycle shows and sells them.

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next