Fordmods Logo

Lowering my NF 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Lowering my NF
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys a got a quote for a full professional lowering of my NF for around $1100! now can any one tell me how much they paid to lower their car?

They told me due to a special type of suspension in the fairlanes they have to replace everything?

Any help

Thanks,

Waz.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

They will need to replace the springs/shocks to start with, anything else isnt a must but will preoberly help her handle less "boat" like!

Ive lowered 2 fairlanes, my old NF and the NL - did the NF fairly cheaply with king springs and monroe GT shocks, cost was around 800 installed for memory, altho this was some good 2 yrs back now.

The king/monroe setup was ok, looked good, handles better but was very firm and didnt handle as well as a "good" setup altho not bad for price. The shocks dont seem to last as long as the other ones, but price is favourable..

Now for the NL fbt im using whiteline springs and bilstein shocks, handling is superb and ride is *much* better than stock believe it or not, will stick with this setup untill car is sold for sure. Cost is a downer tho, looking at 1400-1500 installed however this is a top notch setup that will last much longer than most of the cheaper brands.

Depending what your quote incl and what brands, its hard to say if its good or not..

Only other thing you need to think about ishow much lower you wish to go: obviously most lowering is done to either "lows" or "super lows" height, lows being the same ride height as the XR e series range, superlows being another 3cm lower again, being 5-6cm from stock.

Knowing you have a LWB, if you go over any big speedhumps or steep driveways superlows will more than likely cause issues, haveing this problem in past myself. However sometimes you gotta take the good with tha bad lol; lows always look too high on fairlanes where as superlows look hot while being slightly impractical for big inclines/humps, upto u.

hope thats some help.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

I am thinking of superlows with KYB shocks. how do you think this would ride and handle?

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF II

WA, Australia

KYB's are a great shock
i have them with my lovells and they ride fantastic. I have also heard good comments in regards to BOGE but they are a little more expensive

RIP Peter Brock

Lovells springs, KYB shocks, camber kit, AU XR8 snorkel, pioneer stereo, lukey straight thru exhaust, FTR XR8 mags, 35% tint and a trip computer

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

how would they go with superlow springs? Are the KYB AGX shocks better than the normal ones?

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF II

WA, Australia

yes i do believe the AGX are a better model an may be adjustable, anyone please correct me if im wrong.

On my beast i had it lowered to specific heights legal for WA, so i actually have superlow lovell coils in the rear and standard low lovell coils in the front.

The shocks are amazing, it gives the car a new feel completely. The handling is improved dramatically, although i still need a better swaybar on the front.
I don't think that it feels crashy at all. You do feel bumps but they dont rattle your teeth out. It just gives the car a more solid feel as far as im concerned.
The only downside to the stiffer suspension (which probably has more to do with the crap tyres i have) is when its wet, some corners and round abouts become a little more slippery...but as i said, bad tyres are the likely contributer.

RIP Peter Brock

Lovells springs, KYB shocks, camber kit, AU XR8 snorkel, pioneer stereo, lukey straight thru exhaust, FTR XR8 mags, 35% tint and a trip computer

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

$350 (springs only)

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:15 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Daniel - where did you get your suspension done..I'm thinking of going something like what you have...going a tad lower but still with great ride factor - don't mind forking out the extra for the good stuff !

Thanks,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
Daniel - where did you get your suspension done..I'm thinking of going something like what you have...going a tad lower but still with great ride factor - don't mind forking out the extra for the good stuff !

Thanks,
Steve

Steve - Got the Whiteline/Bilstein setup from Cam at Hightek, the boys there look after me well now, have spent a good 3.5-4k in the past now and have sent many mates/people there; love their efforts and attention to detail. I know you say im fussy with my car, and having said that Im more than v. happy with them, should be enough said. :)

I got the superlow whiteline springs at 1st steve, but with the v8 it sat bit too low up front, gaurds were rubbing and wasnt ideal for bumps while cornering.. The Lows rasied the front end up about 2cm..however the superlows had the front sitting round 1.5cm lower at the front than the back lol. With i6/swb i cant see any issues.

Id presume you will spend about 1500 installed, inc the one days labour.

Cheers -

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

I'm guessing this NF has SLS?

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
dcstraight wrote:

Thanks,
Steve

Steve - Got the Whiteline/Bilstein setup from Cam at Hightek, the boys there look after me well now, have spent a good 3.5-4k in the past now and have sent many mates/people there; love their efforts and attention to detail. I know you say im fussy with my car, and having said that Im more than v. happy with them, should be enough said. :)

I got the superlow whiteline springs at 1st steve, but with the v8 it sat bit too low up front, gaurds were rubbing and wasnt ideal for bumps while cornering.. The Lows rasied the front end up about 2cm..however the superlows had the front sitting round 1.5cm lower at the front than the back lol. With i6/swb i cant see any issues.

Id presume you will spend about 1500 installed, inc the one days labour.

Cheers -

I can also vouch for the work of Cam @ Hightek, they were the only people to cure my brake shudder in over 40,000kms and 4 times in to get it done. Also turned out to be the cheapest of the lot as well, only for the reason that they didnt just replace things, they actually took the time to work out what was wrong. Highly reccomended.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:35 pm 

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info boys - sorry for sidetracking - Waza...how about we both hitup Hightek for a super deal hehe :)

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

just got my fairlane lowered with king lows and the back sits lower than the front(forgot to mention gas tank...doh.) does king s have a specific spring for cars with gas or would it be cheaper to get rings installed.
cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

I got the gas tank in the boot now on superlows and the shrt drive hom from mechanics to home (about 10km) didnt notice it that much.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:09 pm 

VIC, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
just got my fairlane lowered with king lows and the back sits lower than the front(forgot to mention gas tank...doh.) does king s have a specific spring for cars with gas or would it be cheaper to get rings installed.
cheers

Yeah you can get LPG springs which accommodates for the extra weight in the rear (so I'm told) - apparently you used to be able to get these once upon a time...don't know if you still can ?

Vic Cruises & Events

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next