Fordmods Logo

Mesh Grills 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Mesh Grills
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Rik_Biel wrote:
My wife's first comment was "Looks like an old man putting flyscreen on his car to keep the bugs out"


Women! they just don't understand.

Looks good though.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1434

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

Location: Sunshine Coast QLD
QLD, Australia

uglybob wrote:
where'd ya score the mesh from rik? i've been keeping my eyes open for some, but haven't found anything i quite like yet...


you can get the mesh and supercheap, etc, i got mine from crazy clarks, it was only like $15 for a peice the size of my boot .. only problem is keep it clean, so, when i clean my car, about every 3 mths lol, i just go over the mesh in chrome paint :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:09 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

cheers - will have to stop by crazy clarks or something on the weekend - the s**t autos stuff is overpriced @ $30 for a small piece - and its not what i'm looking for either - the grill is too open

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1434

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

Location: Sunshine Coast QLD
QLD, Australia

uglybob wrote:
cheers - will have to stop by crazy clarks or something on the weekend - the s**t autos stuff is overpriced @ $30 for a small piece - and its not what i'm looking for either - the grill is too open


Hahha, cool, don't forget a LED gear knob from crazy clarks lol ;)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:16 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

au2low wrote:
uglybob wrote:
cheers - will have to stop by crazy clarks or something on the weekend - the s**t autos stuff is overpriced @ $30 for a small piece - and its not what i'm looking for either - the grill is too open


Hahha, cool, don't forget a LED gear knob from crazy clarks lol ;)


lol yeah that'd go real well with all the woodgrain & s**t inside my interior! hehe.

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 3343

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 9 images

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Looke great rik. The only thing old man-ish about that car is the sun visors and the mudflaps :lol:

Good job, love your wheels too.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:02 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Image

My EL.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:19 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 87

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Thanks guys :)
And no-one said rice ! Cool :)

The mesh was about $30 from Repco in Rockingham - I only used about half of it too.

I was really unsure how to go about fixing it or attaching it, but then it all became so clear - I guess inspiration hit me like a hammer.

Th small parts on either side are simply cut to shape and then held on to the existing plastic vent flute things with cable ties - if you look closely you can see them.

To do the larger centre piece I just took out the existing grill, cut the mesh slightly larger, then wrapped the edges around the existing grill, that way it just went straight back in.

It is a very quick job if you do it this way :)


The wheels are polished alloys - not chromed

When I got them new - about 6-7 years ago they were really shiny - now they are pretty dull - to get them repolished to mirror finish is $50 each

There's a polishing mob in Perth - Bagby Metal Polishers or something like that - I think they told me it would be $100 per wheel if they were not already polished, so stock XR 5 spokes can be polished up for that price.

When I first got them there were none others around - nowadays I've seen quite a few.

If you look at my engine pic you can see I did a half-assed job of polishing my intake "snails" - just the front 3 - couldn't be bothered doing the back three as well. Really the whole intake needs to come off to do a decent job. Oh well, another job for another day LOL
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 2121

Joined: 14th Dec 2004

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

au2low wrote:
.........when i clean my car, about every 3 mths lol, ........


That would be great. Save me 2.5hrs every week.

 

_________________


Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Image

My EL.


I was going to do my front like that. But decided I would ditch the plastic bit and just have the mesh grill and only the FORD badge over it (as seen in my Avatar.) I was originally inspired to do mine when I saw how Warlock had done his mesh grill on his EL. He actually put a Tickford badge over his grill instead.

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:32 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
data_mine wrote:
Image

My EL.


I was going to do my front like that. But decided I would ditch the plastic bit and just have the mesh grill and only the FORD badge over it (as seen in my Avatar.) I was originally inspired to do mine when I saw how Warlock had done his mesh grill on his EL. He actually put a Tickford badge over his grill instead.


the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.

It is completely original (with one exception) with the black 'mesh' backing, Al mesh moulded over the top, holes 'nibbled' out in the right places for the bars tabs to fit back, and a longer screw was used to hold it on. A bit of grunting and groaning getting the tabs to snap back in place, then screwed the middle back on, and it was done.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:49 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 2121

Joined: 14th Dec 2004

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

Location: Traralgon
VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
.................the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.


I love that. That has been my inspiration with couple of recent projects. People say they cant be done or they wont work well, and so i set out to prove them wrong.

My BA project for example i will be setting up a 3 way Dynaudio front stage 3 x 10" subs 3 x amps, 2 battery's dual 20band eq and more, all from the factory headunit, using "David Noavone" hand made line level converyors.

People have told me it will sound crap, ...... we'll see......

 

_________________


Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
data_mine wrote:
Image

My EL.


I was going to do my front like that. But decided I would ditch the plastic bit and just have the mesh grill and only the FORD badge over it (as seen in my Avatar.) I was originally inspired to do mine when I saw how Warlock had done his mesh grill on his EL. He actually put a Tickford badge over his grill instead.


the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.

It is completely original (with one exception) with the black 'mesh' backing, Al mesh moulded over the top, holes 'nibbled' out in the right places for the bars tabs to fit back, and a longer screw was used to hold it on. A bit of grunting and groaning getting the tabs to snap back in place, then screwed the middle back on, and it was done.



Great work.Yeah you are right it does look quite good on your EL. But I reckon cause of my Darker coloured EL the Plain mesh look seemed a bit more tougher. :D
Image

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

pyroay wrote:
data_mine wrote:
.................the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.


I love that. That has been my inspiration with couple of recent projects. People say they cant be done or they wont work well, and so i set out to prove them wrong.

My BA project for example i will be setting up a 3 way Dynaudio front stage 3 x 10" subs 3 x amps, 2 battery's dual 20band eq and more, all from the factory headunit, using "David Noavone" hand made line level converyors.

People have told me it will sound crap, ...... we'll see......


dude that is some seriously expensive SQ gear... glad your paying for it and not me... who did your EL setup, yourself or a company... i heard from someone on CAA that you got freeway car audio in dandy to do it?

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:10 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 823

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

GlennXR6T wrote:
Looke great rik. The only thing old man-ish about that car is the sun visors and the mudflaps :lol:

Good job, love your wheels too.

That is thr first thing I did to my car. Removing the sun visor takes away all the old man feel of the car...

 

_________________

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:16 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names