My Light Up Door Handles 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: My Light Up Door Handles
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford NL

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys
i saw some came up with the great idea to put lights into the door handles so i did it too....

also i add the lights to the out side ones too....

i will take pictures of a blue set soon too....

Attachments:
File comment: inside handle
IMG_0618-3.jpg
IMG_0618-3.jpg [ 453.9 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]

Post subject: Re: My Light Up Door Handles
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

these are the outside ones

Attachments:
File comment: outside handles
IMG_0620-3.jpg
IMG_0620-3.jpg [ 398.48 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

close up of outside one..

Attachments:
IMG_0621-3.jpg
IMG_0621-3.jpg [ 408.03 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:31 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Please make sure you post your threads in the correct forums.
Topic moved.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Sorry

Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

That would be a cool idea if you could get them to come on only after the car has been unlocked :D

EL Ghia

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

it does it works off the door lights in the fairlane a bit harder in lower modles..
i'll add a video of them soon..if i can...

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

id love to do the same to my EL, id like to get an idea on how you did it?

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hey the best way in a falcon or lower models, this will take some time my fairlane i spent 3 hours doing this..
1st you will need to find one light in your car that works on the with the lights when u open and close the doors.
try near the front foot wells there might be a light there if not you would need to run wires from the roof light, and connect them off that

after getting that set up. you will need to run wires though all the doors..
then u will be right to start wiring the door handles up...

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:36 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

GTFORDMAN wrote:
id love to do the same to my EL, id like to get an idea on how you did it?

I have a '97 El GLi Falcon stationwagon.

I was able to tap the interior lighting circuit by probing wires in all of the looms behind the stereo/radio. All you have to do is remove your stereo/radio. You do this by pulling out your ashtray and removing the screw that was behind the ashtray. Then pull the bottom left side of the stereo/radio surround and the plastic surround will "pop out."

Once you have removed the plastic surround, you must remove your stereo/radio. You can do this using the Ford tool, or a paper clip. Just Google, "How to remove EL falcon radio" and you will find heaps of tutorials on it.

Now that your stereo/radio is out, grab your multimeter or borrow your mates. They are ~$15 from Jaycar. Now begin by grounding the negative (black) probe to a bare metal part on your car, a rail for one of the front seats will do just fine. Now open your door and ensure that the interior light comes on.

Now remove/disconnect ALL looms behind where the stereo used to be. (I cannot remember which one I found the wire in, but I believe it was the small 7 or 8 wire (4 long and 2 wide) connector).

Probe every pin inside each of the connectors/looms until you get a reading of around 12V. Once you have found it, get your mate to close and lock the door or do so yourself. Once the interior light turns off, the reading should drop to around 0V. Now open the door again and chek that you are getting 12V, then close and lock the doors, again ensuring that the interior light turns off and you should see around 0V.

If this test works, repeat it around 5 times, just to be certain. If it fails, then select the next wire and continue.

This wire I believe is used to give power to the center console light that illuminates the back seat in the EL Fairmont and Fairlane models.

Once you are certain you have found a wire that gives power ONLY when the interior light is on, remove the fuse (in the fuse box next to your steering wheel), which should be marked as, "interior illumination," "CRT LMP," or something of that nature. It will be the the left-most fuse on the second row and should be a 10amp fuse.

Pull this fuse to prevent shorting any wires. Note that until this fuse is replaced (after this mod) several things will be disabled, including the interior lighting, the stereo and the SMARTLOCK immobilizer (your car will crank over but will not start).

Now your interior light should not be working. Be sure to check this so that you know you have pulled the correct fuse. Now simple cut the wire you found earlier and splice a wire into it. You may now run this wire to any lighting you wish to add to the interior lighting circuit, or you can do what I did and install a 40A 12V relay for switching much larger loads, i.e. large LED strips, etc.

Once you have spliced a wire into your interior illumination wire, you may reconnect the fuse removed earlier and beging connecting you additional lights, being sure not to exceed the total 10A rating of the original wire. I took care not to exceed an additional 3A just to be safe, prior to installing the 40A relay.

Best of luck, mate. If you need any further assistance let me know and I should be able to find some time to take some pictures of the connector/loom that I spliced into to give you a hand in setting up. :)

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Hi there, I have an EL XR6 Im thinking of putting a few more lights inside, but I thought I'd mention my EB Fairmont Ghia V8, It has illuminated doorlocks (factory). it has plenty of factory interior lights, when you unlock it with the remote or lift the exterior door handle when it is locked, the interior lights come on, and the little plastic ring around the keyholes on the exterior door handles light up a yellow/amber colour. I'm just wondering how common a feature this is on EA-ED models.
Cheers
Q

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:18 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

q4short wrote:
Hi there, I have an EL XR6 Im thinking of putting a few more lights inside, but I thought I'd mention my EB Fairmont Ghia V8, It has illuminated doorlocks (factory). it has plenty of factory interior lights, when you unlock it with the remote or lift the exterior door handle when it is locked, the interior lights come on, and the little plastic ring around the keyholes on the exterior door handles light up a yellow/amber colour. I'm just wondering how common a feature this is on EA-ED models.
Cheers
Q

Hi , This was a standard feature on Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia in EB and ED. Not sure if EA got this. I think it was on the doors with the Tibee lock keys. :P

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Nice mod mate gonna get me some of those :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]