Outragous Windscreen replacement costs 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Outragous Windscreen replacement costs
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The trick with O'Briens was to ring their main service number and request a quote.

Give them all your details for an official quote. They would quote that stupid $300 figure, and you say "thanks, I'll ring around and think about it".

10/20 mins later you get a call back with them saying "Sorry sir, but I've just seen we can do it a little cheaper for you. How's about $170 installed on-site".

Worked twice for me so far. Just a matter of dangling the carrot.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
The trick with O'Briens was to ring their main service number and request a quote.

Give them all your details for an official quote. They would quote that stupid $300 figure, and you say "thanks, I'll ring around and think about it".

10/20 mins later you get a call back with them saying "Sorry sir, but I've just seen we can do it a little cheaper for you. How's about $170 installed on-site".

Ringing around is good, but i don't bother to call back after i've found a much cheaper price elsewhere, the guys with the better initial price get's my business. I wonder how many ppl don't ring around & just go ok, come do it?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
arm79 wrote:

Ringing around is good, but i don't bother to call back after i've found a much cheaper price elsewhere, the guys with the better initial price get's my business. I wonder how many ppl don't ring around & just go ok, come do it?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I'm the same. The best initial price and service gets my money, and I don't ring back to play each side off.

I found out the above from when I needed a windscreen long ago. Rang O'Briens, got given the price. Then I rang Instant Windscreens and got a price that was near half O'Briens, so I booked it in. 10 mins later O'Briens rang back, halved their price and undercut Instant by another $20 without any prompting. They were just continuing to chase the sale.

Now I just do what I said above and always end up the better for it.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

I had 3 screens in 3 cars installed for free. NRMA paid for them as its on my policy for free unlimited replacement. Only cost $55 from memory to add on and no ecxess when you claim -FREE. and every year I get a new one installed :lol: . I once paid $300 for a screen to have a wiper blade slip off and scratch my 2 day old screen :x , man did I curse when I found out NRMA give free ones.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford AU

VIC, Australia

Bumping an old thread.... there's a mention of a $175 place near highpoint, VIC... is that still around? Have prices gone up over the past few years?

(EDIT - I originally wrote "few weeks", not "few years"... I'm a dumbass. I meant over the past few years, since this thread is ooold).

We're in need of a new front windscreen of our AU sedan and don't want to be ripped off. Is it still possible to get them done for around that price?

Last edited by mrgareth on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

this is a 2-3 year old thread mate, prices would have gone up by now, as far as i know wind screen replacement is around about or above the $200 mark these days

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I heard recently that some place in Bendigo that did them for around $150 still... but didn't know the name of the actual place. So I'm hoping there are a few people out there who've had theirs done recently and can actually provide some recent figures from stores (preferably western suburbs of Melbourne).

The reason I posted in this thread was because I googled cheap winscreens for a Ford AU and this thread was the first one that came up :)

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

My AU had a windscreen done recently, $220. Contact some second hand car dealers in your area, ask them who they use. Car dealers always know the cheapest around, or call the local taxi depot with the same question.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

why not get a free replacement through insurance? or they don't do it there?

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Troy wrote:
why not get a free replacement through insurance? or they don't do it there?

As long as it won't pump your premiums up why not?

If not the car yards are a good place to ask, I need the windscreen done in the Ghia one day, might need one in the Xr8 for rwc, will 100% need one in my pano & the tx5 could use a new one too. I should try & get a discount for 4 windscreens in one place eh?

The mob I usually use is pretty reasonable, I think it was like $170 last time I had one done 18mths ago in the Eb Ghia. Obrian windscreens wanted something like $450 or so lol!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I'm with the RAC and I get a free windscreen a year without effecting my no claim bonus or premiums.

worth checking out if you get this.

I'm about to have mine replaced as I have had a crack in it for over a year now.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
The mob I usually use is pretty reasonable, I think it was like $170 last time I had one done 18mths ago in the Eb Ghia. Obrian windscreens wanted something like $450 or so lol!

Can I ask where you had it done for $170? That's about the price I'd like to pay :) I rang up RACV for their chip repair, they said even though the car isn't mine they'll still give me the discount so it'd cost $86 for the chip repair. If I can replace the entire screen for twice the price though, I'd take that option (won't have an RWC issues then).

My girlfriend's just turned 21 and until she can get cheaper insurance, she's just got 3rd party + fire & theft through AAMI, so there's no windscreen cover. :(

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2