Fordmods Logo

Paint de-lamination 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

That is definately Clear coat coming off, its unlikely you'll be able to just respray the clear, because the bonnet will need rubbing back. A panel beater will near always blend the spray job into the front guards when spraying a metallic paint, this of course adds to the cost.

How close are you to Seaford Vic?

A mate of mine owns his own Panel Shop if your interested.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah you definately wanna get this fixed up as soon as you can.. Wont take long for that spot to increase in diameter. Then it will look really nasty too. :?

Let us know how you go with prices and all.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hey Vic, if your going to end up re-doing it anyway;

Wait for a warm day,
Use a soft pencil rubber and gently rub around the outside of the spot to clear up any remaining surrounding varnish flake,

Get a rubbing (cutting) compound and rub around the outside of the varnish edge with a cloth wrapped around your finger (circular motion, predominately from the varnish edge - leading outwards from the paintwork.
Lightly buff the surface with fine compound,
Clean up surface and apply the clear coat,
Lightly buff surrounding area on completion to blend.

Now, I don't know how well this will work for you, but it works a treat when restoring the varnish/shelac on ornate, antique timberwork (gun stocks) where the original condition of the wood surface must be retained.
Done with care I can't see why you couldn't get good results.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Same thing, smaller size, same spot on my old fairlane - mine never got fixed tho as it wasnt getting any bigger luckily.
If i were you, since you will be keeping the car for a while.. get it sprayed up properly, price wont be that bad.
Just think if me having to pay 744 for a new bumper/spray coz some scrag cant reverse in a carpark. LOL

It may not get worse, but more spots may begin to arise as the day i sold my car i noticed another one just startong near the grille, sad but it happens.

My bonnet was NOT orig paint, i figured it may have been from the repair job, seems its more common than i 1st figured.

Good luck vic. :D

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Apparently it's called de-lamination where the clear coat has not bonded properly to the base paint below it and in my case the last fellow I spoke to said the entire bonnet would have to be done at a cost of around $400 - $500.
Ouch.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
Apparently it's called de-lamination where the clear coat has not bonded properly to the base paint below it and in my case the last fellow I spoke to said the entire bonnet would have to be done at a cost of around $400 - $500.
Ouch.

Has it been resprayed or is it orig paint?
If you had it sprayed id go back n complain; i did n they were going to fix it all up but i was jus plain too lazy n never did.

I was told its normally due to the base coat not having dried enough n having the clear coat applied too early, dont know what the truth in this is tho.. :roll:

5-600 isnt THAT bad, i mean it hsould have happened in the 1st place so i hear your pain.

Come tuesday n im down another 800 for bumper/mirror..

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hate to add to your woes there Vic-man, but when I had my front end resprayed, I was told that our wonderful sparkler colour is the hardest colour in the EF/EL range to match.

After the first spray, I made 3 complaints regarding the matching of the bonnet to the front quarters. They tried to blend the bonnet and bumper to match the existing quarter panel, but weren't able to do it properly.

In the end, had to get the whole front end respayed again all the way to the start of the rear doors to get the blending / matching right.

Next time I took the car there to get some repairs done, they didnt argue when I said can you spray like you did last time so everything matches properly.

Not the most ideal situation, but might be worth speaking to your insurance company and taking a small hit on the premiums to get a proper job done.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Oh joy, now I feel even more confident. :? :o

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yer, sparkling burg cars you can 9 times out of 10 pick colour difference, like adrian said..
Steves front bar looks fine from a distance, but on the side its heaps darker, then the kit is lighter to the rest - again you need to be picky as nobody picks it really.
My front bar is slighty darker too (not as of tomorrow) and my panel beater said regency red pearl was fairlay hard too; upsetting!
When they did my rear bar i made them redo it n they didnt kick up a fuss as it was def. a different shade - GR.

Last edited by Daniel on Mon May 09, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

you can spot spray a patch over that area, i used to be my job at a certain car manufacturing plant, but you have to know what you are doing, plus in the long run a complete bonnet respray would be preferable.

w not get a can of clear spray, wet rub the area around and cover with a coat of the clear? At least it will prevent further damage until you can fix it right....

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

you can spot spray a patch over that area, i used to be my job at a certain car manufacturing plant, but you have to know what you are doing, plus in the long run a complete bonnet respray would be preferable.

w not get a can of clear spray, wet rub the area around and cover with a coat of the clear? At least it will prevent further damage until you can fix it right....

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

LMAO

"oops, quadruple post!"

:?:

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I think he was just making sure we got the message...

Sounds like he is describing he used to work at the Holden plant :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2