Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: PAINT HELP
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey guys

I am about to put my new front bumper on within the next few weeks. I have a EF in Dynamic White. My bumper needs a coat of paint. What paint do i use and how do i do it. I have experience in painting with a compressor so im sure i can do it.

Also my bonnet has a fold in it. I am going to fold it back and fix it up. Question... The paint has cracked where the bonnet has folded. What do i do about this. Is it as simple as painting over top of it. Do i have to sand it? Does it have to come back to metal??

Thanks for any help guys.

-Ben

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

its 2 pak so id recomend you get it done at a shop, its no good for your lungs and it can be tricky to mix if you dont know what your doing. how are you going to fix the fold in your bonnet? how bad is it?

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

i would get a panel shop to do it that way the paint is mixed right ther is nothing worse than un matched paint it looks like s**t

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

-U need to get the paint code from the engine bay , and take it to a paint supplier and they will mix you some paint. As your car is white, it is -pretty hard to match it, you may need a pro, to do it for you.

- To prepare the bar , sand it with sum 800 wet or sum scotchbrite until the shine is removed from the bar.

- With the cracked paint on the bonnet , use a sander with sum 180 grit and feather out the edges of the cracked paint untill you can feel a smooth surface. Then sand with sum 400 grit on the sander to smooth it down even more. Next mask off the area you smoothed out and spray sum etch primer on just the bare metal that can be seen , then spray sum hi-fill over the whole repair. Once hi-fill is dry , block sand it 400 grit wet, then by hand 800 wet. Then ya gotta decide if ur gonna spray the whole bonnet or just touch up the section u hi-filled

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

the bonnet is okish. it rises a few mm at the front of the quarter pannel. MY old boss was a pannel beater so ill go get him to help me fix it up.

As for the painting i think one of my mates has a firend thing that owns a shop with a fume cabinet. So i think i may be able to take it down there.

The other alternate was to find a front bar, lights, and bonnet and make the car a monty. I could just get new headies and bar and make it a XR. But that all costs money. If thats a cheaper alternate than spraying ill sell off my lights and unpainted bar for white monty or xr end.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]