Fordmods Logo

painting wheels 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: painting wheels
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i need to paint some alloy wheels, they are the ba xr6 type, any advise, on paint type, primer, prep?? anyhelp would be great.

thanks.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Post subject: Re: painting wheels
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
i need to paint some alloy wheels, they are the ba xr6 type, any advise, on paint type, primer, prep?? anyhelp would be great.

thanks.

Powder coating is much more durable but if you decide to paint them do them in 2 pac.If they are bare metal you will need to sand them and fill any chips scratches etc then apply an etch primer before a hi-fill primer and paint also use a good quality hi-solid clear so it will not chip as easy.At work I charge around $150 plus gst per wheel plus any repairs would cost extra

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thankyou for the reply, i picked up the paint today, i got 2pac as you recomeneded, i havent done 2pac before and there are so many componenets!, the shop i bought them off explained to me what to do but i would just like to confirm that what i got told was correct.

i was told to mix the base coat and the base coat reducer 50:50

give it a few coats of that,

then for the top coat mix clear, hardener, and normal reducer together. it says to mix the clear 2:1, i got a mixing cup and it says what to mix a b and c. im assuming:

a= clear
b=hardener
c=normal reducer

on the cup there are 4 sections, 400, 500, 600. so once i mix all these together the overall amount that i will have will be either 400, 500, 600??

EDIT: also when i mix this into the cup do i pour a in, then pour it out, then b, then pour that into a, then c, then pour that into a and b, or do i pour them all in after each other and keep them in??

so then i spray a few coats of this clear mix on and bobs my uncle??

can i clean up with normal thinners or the do i need the reducer to clean up?

thanks for your help in advance, im hoping i understood correctly!

thankyou.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

powdercoating is cheap! here's an example of the price

my mate got his rims powdercoated black (originally white multispokes).

$440 in total
- $200 for sandblasting
- $240 for powdercoating

that was at AAEP (perth company, so that doesnt help you)

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

that sounds about right good luck

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
thankyou for the reply, i picked up the paint today, i got 2pac as you recomeneded, i havent done 2pac before and there are so many componenets!, the shop i bought them off explained to me what to do but i would just like to confirm that what i got told was correct.

i was told to mix the base coat and the base coat reducer 50:50

give it a few coats of that,

then for the top coat mix clear, hardener, and normal reducer together. it says to mix the clear 2:1, i got a mixing cup and it says what to mix a b and c. im assuming:

a= clear
b=hardener
c=normal reducer

on the cup there are 4 sections, 400, 500, 600. so once i mix all these together the overall amount that i will have will be either 400, 500, 600??

EDIT: also when i mix this into the cup do i pour a in, then pour it out, then b, then pour that into a, then c, then pour that into a and b, or do i pour them all in after each other and keep them in??

so then i spray a few coats of this clear mix on and bobs my uncle??

can i clean up with normal thinners or the do i need the reducer to clean up?

thanks for your help in advance, im hoping i understood correctly!

thankyou.

If you have painted with acrylic you will have half a chance
Mix the basecoat as you would with acrylic except you use reducer not thinners {the base coat is basicly the same as acrylic basecoat not enough reducer will give you that dry s**t look}
With the clear I use a stick that has the measurements on it but if you use your cup say 400 of clear then 200 of hardner then aprox 10-15% of reduce.Or you could get a ruler and use it say in your mixing tin say you had 10cm of clear you would add 5cm of hardner then reducer Not enough will give you that s**t dry look and too much and it will run like there is no tommorow.Two pac is designed to be off the gun finish{no buffing}so you need to get each coat wet but not to wet if you know what I mean.Practice on one wheel first to get your mix ratio and spraying technic correct.Dont stress too much if you get some little runs just put a couple of extra coats on you can rub them out later with 1500 then 2000 and buff them up.PM your email and i will send a pdf doco which might help.Yes you clean up with normal thinners or gunwash thinners
http://www.autobody101.com/
This is the site where I got the doco I was goig to email.To download you will need to register{free} or you can peruse on line

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you are a champion, thats a great site btw too, d/l the booklet now. thanks for your help, ill show ya the final product when done... (if it turnes out good lol..)

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]