Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: polishing my rocker cover
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gday im currently polishing the rocker cover so it gets a nice shiny chrome look, im using autosol and its taking for ages but i don't mind. Is there something i can spray over the rocker cover so it wont lose its shine once i have finished?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Re: polishing my rocker cover
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think a clear coat of paint or powder coat would be best.
I have heard that some clear spray paints will change colour with heat, so you'd want to make sure it could handle it as you wouldnt want to have to do all that work again.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok cheers yeah i just wasn't sure if clear coat would hold when it gets hot, i will have to look around and see i guess

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I've seen Clear Coat Engine Enamel on shelves in some auto shops

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Just watch out with clear coat mate, although it might seal the polished surface it will take a bit of shine out of it at the same time, so you might wanna try it out on a small part of the rocker cover first just to see for yourself. Trust me, ive learnt the hard way many times :lol:. Has happened to a few things ive polished now, like my ISC solenoid and my EF Fairmont grill surround that i polished up with Autosol to an almost chrome finish, hit it with a coat of clear and it basically turned a dull silver right in front of me. Other members on here have had this happen to them too. One thing i havent yet tried is clear powdercoat so that might be the answer

I polished up my BBM and havent put any clear coat or anything on it. Still holds its shine quite well, and only needs a quick going over with Autosol once every few weeks if you want it to have a mirror shine

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

DON'T DO IT.

I used clear coat engine enamel on rocker cover and it showed yellowing signs and appeared dirty after six months.

Although, so saying, it does protect the metal against other blemishes and what have you, but if you can be bother polishing the bare metal a few times a year it would be preferable in my opinion.

Up to you mind... But yeah, try spraying it on an area hidden by throttle body and intake piping - Somewhere it doesn't matter too much... It would be a pain in the backside to have to start all over again and start removing paint from the rocker cover once more...

Although, if you did it, and it worked fine for the last year - Please answer below!

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Just watch out with clear coat mate, although it might seal the polished surface it will take a bit of shine out of it at the same time, so you might wanna try it out on a small part of the rocker cover first just to see for yourself. Trust me, ive learnt the hard way many times :lol:. Has happened to a few things ive polished now, like my ISC solenoid and my EF Fairmont grill surround that i polished up with Autosol to an almost chrome finish, hit it with a coat of clear and it basically turned a dull silver right in front of me. Other members on here have had this happen to them too. One thing i havent yet tried is clear powdercoat so that might be the answer

I polished up my BBM and havent put any clear coat or anything on it. Still holds its shine quite well, and only needs a quick going over with Autosol once every few weeks if you want it to have a mirror shine
clear powdercoat shouldn't really dull the shine, if it's the right clear, eg glossclear, as opposed to a matt clear, but theirs no clear that wont be affected by heat turning it somewhat yellow to my knowledge, so be careful of what your getting cleared.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok cheers, i might have to hold back on the clear coat. I will finish the rocker cover and leave it for a while and see how it turns out. It's just when i have polished other things with autosol, as soon as water gets to it, water marks start popping up and it dulls quite bad.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon AU

WA, Australia

Can you use Autosol on this type of rocker cover material?

Attachment:
image_00042.jpg
image_00042.jpg [ 66.24 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]

What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts?

A wheelbarrow.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

yes falcon1999 u can use autosol on it cause its alloy, waterpumps, tensioners, manifolds, thermostat housing and basically any alloys.

u can buy a high grade clear from some paint shop designed especially for coating polished wheels etc without dulling, its also super tough, resistant to chips etc. the would work fine on engine parts too. its expensive, about $60 for 340mls but that will do a fair size area. u will also need marine clean to prepare the polished area for the paint
its called glisten pc and marine clean

http://www.ppcco.com.au/products4.htm

i have used 2 pack on turbo rotary motors, sparkle silver base coat, followed by 2 coats of candy apple pink and another motor blue, both with finishing coats of clear. these motors get very hot compared to the falcon 6 , they are both around 8 years old now and the paint shows no signs of discolouration.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]