Prime coat 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Prime coat
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

Hi.

I have done some work on my fairlane boot lid and side pannel and have in a few places sanded/grinded back to bare metel (to take rust out and sand back body filler for hail dents.

does anone know what i should do with the primer coat. should i go over the entire lid and side panel with primer or just the areas that where sanded to metel.

I have also had to fill in a rust spot with fibre glass so i will need to sand that back flat too.

if i only prime the areas that have been filled will that make the paint job look dark in some areas and light in others?

the paint that i am putting on is the original K8 purl green matalic (it is a gold bronze colour, made up of a matalic silver and green color according to where i orderd the paint)

Also if the doors have got some denting in them (sort of like a trolly has hit into it) should i try to straten them out from inside the door or fill the dents up with filler and then smoth it down

Thanks in advance

Barry

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Post subject: Re: Prime coat
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I reckon just the area you've done the colour should cover the primer easy enough its usually only light grey anyhow.
You can try to get the dents from inside but in all likelihood they will require some filler as well.

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Post subject: Re: Prime coat
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
I reckon just the area you've done the colour should cover the primer easy enough its usually only light grey anyhow.
You can try to get the dents from inside but in all likelihood they will require some filler as well.

Thanks,

just another question now i have sprayed the primer on the the sanded back parts and it is ready for the K8 to be put on

Should i wet sand the primer coat before applying K8 or should i leave the wet sanding untill i am done with 3 coats of clear?

i wouldnt think i would wet sand the colour becaues it would realy be just waisting paint sanding it back.

Regards

Barry

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]