Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
uglybob wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:
foglamps (f**k anoying things) have to be connected seperatly from the headlights and also be switched.

I was under the impression fog lights must be run off the park lamp circuit, as well as independatly switched, otherwise you could have them on without park lights, therefore also loosing tail lights and dash illumination etc.

my drive lights are connected on a completly separate switch, independant of both the parkers & headlights - they run even if the car is off. i lose no tail lights or dash illumination... :?

I meant if they were connected seperatley, as yours are, and you ONLY turn them on, you would not have tail lights and dash illumination. Whereas if they are in a headlight circuit as well as a seperate switch, you can not turn them on without having at least the parkers on, meaning tail lights etc are also on.

:oops: lol i get ya now! misread you before hand sorry!

dylan - how much $$$ are they slugging you to wire the lights up?? i'd hate to contemplate it! :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
uglybob wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:
foglamps (f**k anoying things) have to be connected seperatly from the headlights and also be switched.

I was under the impression fog lights must be run off the park lamp circuit, as well as independatly switched, otherwise you could have them on without park lights, therefore also loosing tail lights and dash illumination etc.

my drive lights are connected on a completly separate switch, independant of both the parkers & headlights - they run even if the car is off. i lose no tail lights or dash illumination... :?

I meant if they were connected seperatley, as yours are, and you ONLY turn them on, you would not have tail lights and dash illumination. Whereas if they are in a headlight circuit as well as a seperate switch, you can not turn them on without having at least the parkers on, meaning tail lights etc are also on.

:oops: lol i get ya now! misread you before hand sorry!

dylan - how much $$$ are they slugging you to wire the lights up?? i'd hate to contemplate it! :?

$187 for a whole days work. Service, some minor adjustments they do during a service and installation of driving lights.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Well dropped it off this morning about 830, still now ord, getitng a little concenred :? . Asked the guy if he could wire it into the rear wiper switch and he said no which is a bummer. Im more worried about the stuff in the car (TV, DVD) then the engine and s**t.

Can't stand taking my car in any were, the only places it goes is LPG tuner and exahust shop. Besides that the rest is dodgy backyard home mechanics!

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:

good point! but they shouldnt be on with your headlights tho they anoy the crap out of oncoming drivers and cause a hazard.

when i go to work on nightshift every car i pass is a 4WD with headlights that peer into your car and the rest commohore drivers with there cool as foglamps turned on! :evil:

why dont they just wire the fog lamps as spotlights in the factory off your highbeams. they would at least serve a good purpose other then annoying other drivers.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

voids wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:

good point! but they shouldnt be on with your headlights tho they anoy the crap out of oncoming drivers and cause a hazard.

when i go to work on nightshift every car i pass is a 4WD with headlights that peer into your car and the rest commohore drivers with there cool as foglamps turned on! :evil:

why dont they just wire the fog lamps as spotlights in the factory off your highbeams. they would at least serve a good purpose other then annoying other drivers.

Because they wouldn't be Fog Lamps, they would be Driving Lights. Fog Lamps need to be mounted low on the car, pointed down onto the road immediately in front. If they only came on with High beam then they would reflect off the fog and you wouldn't see anything. This is also why Fog Lamps need to be wire to be on without the low beam.

What you are seeing is an increase in people re-aiming their fog lamps to light up further down the road, thus blinding oncomming traffic.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
voids wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:

Because they wouldn't be Fog Lamps, they would be Driving Lights. Fog Lamps need to be mounted low on the car, pointed down onto the road immediately in front. If they only came on with High beam then they would reflect off the fog and you wouldn't see anything. This is also why Fog Lamps need to be wire to be on without the low beam.

What you are seeing is an increase in people re-aiming their fog lamps to light up further down the road, thus blinding oncomming traffic.

Exactly as said above, remember not everybody has them installed for the FIGJAM factor, if you have ever driven in real pea soup fog you will know how valuable it is to have a very low aimed set of lights.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Im really happy with them. So much better when I flick the high beams oon now.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

I just wish the cops would get off their a***s and book all the idiots that drive with other lights on (apart from their headlights) as none of them are ever setup properly (usually right into the eyes of oncoming traffic) and it is totally ILLEGAL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

GTBob wrote:
I just wish the cops would get off their a***s and book all the idiots that drive with other lights on (apart from their headlights) as none of them are ever setup properly (usually right into the eyes of oncoming traffic) and it is totally ILLEGAL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Are you refering to the fact they are aimed incorrectly as being illegal?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

I have them hooked into my high beams and use them when needed, but theya re angled down and i dont use them when other drivers are near cuz it pisses me off when it happens to me.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

I have to problem of people flashing me cos my HIDs are bright ... my argument is ... all the new BMWs and Audis and Mercs have them ... so do I ... you don't like it ... too bad.

Had a guy in a Commodore flash me the other night on dark country road ... so I flashed him back (he was lucky I didn't have my old LightForce 240 driving lights on the car) .. I would have caused permanent blindness at close range with those babies.

** LightForce are rated as the bright driving lights on the market ... hence why the truckies use them **

8-)

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

i done a bit of night driving with a fully packed car the other night and my low beams where shining in the trees, my point is i hope i p****d off every 4WD and foglight commodore driver coming towards me.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Mechan1k wrote:
I have to problem of people flashing me cos my HIDs are bright ... my argument is ... all the new BMWs and Audis and Mercs have them ... so do I ... you don't like it ... too bad.

Had a guy in a Commodore flash me the other night on dark country road ... so I flashed him back (he was lucky I didn't have my old LightForce 240 driving lights on the car) .. I would have caused permanent blindness at close range with those babies.

** LightForce are rated as the bright driving lights on the market ... hence why the truckies use them **

8-)

Correct me if I'm wrong butI thought that HID lights do not meet ADR's. Is this true? I was looking on the NARVA website and it said that HID kits are for off road use only, due to the fact that they do not meet ADR's.
Not that I really care. I still want a set!
How hard were the kits to fit?
Would the brighter lights cause the plastic headlight lens on the EF's to melt? I intend to have a set wired up as high beams.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

They don't meet ADR requirements if they don't have a self-levelling mechanism in them ... this is actually a part of the headlight that you really can't change (unless you know your s**t).

Only cars that come factory fitted with HIDs are ADR compliant ... as they are built for them ... and as far as I know they need a projector lense over the globe as well to get the beam pattern flat and down.

In other headlights designed for halogen ... the reflectors beam the light in all directions ... HIDs accentuate this .. and you get little bits of beam here there and everywhere as I have found.

The maority of the beam is kept down on the road though.

Also the HIDs are only 35w ... and are nowhere near as hot as halogen ... I have felt the headlights after driveing and they barely warm up the lense casing.

I just put the new Altezza headlights from Ozeparts on my AU ute ... and have to go through the fun of re-aligning my headlights all over again ... it takes a bit to get them at the correct angle (so you can see ... but not piss off people too much)

Fuzon took a photo at the last cruise meet of them.

The kit came with the entire wiring harness (also ballasts, relays, etc) for it ... it is all plug and play ... just need to connect up power from the battery to the system ... I also got an installation booklet with really good diagrams as well.

A friend of mine installed it (he's and auto sparky) and hid most of the equipment away.

The only problem I am getting is that the headlight circuit is not seeing the full load (normally 60w low beam each side ... but is onlt seeing 35w each side now) to allow me to flick the outer H4s onto high beam ... the centre highs work ... but the outers don't ... will be looking into this soon.

I tested it with a normal halogen 55/60 in one side and the HID in the other side ... and they flicked up onto high beam on the outer headlights ... but when I change it all the HID ... they remain on low beam.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2