Fordmods Logo

Quick Driving Light Question 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Quick Driving Light Question
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Getting my car serviced on Wednesday morning. Theya re also going to install driving lights into my brake ducts for me, so its gonna be a tad expensive.

Question is now I have the DVD headunit and TV in permantly do I need to take it all out and the dash off for them to work? Reason Im asking is I want th edirivng light on/off switch running to the rear wiper switch which doesnt do anything? Any ideas? Will it work as well. What else do I need to do so it doesnt f**k up since I would rather take me dash off then them.

Post subject: Re: Quick Driving Light Question
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Getting my car serviced on Wednesday morning. Theya re also going to install driving lights into my brake ducts for me, so its gonna be a tad expensive.

Question is now I have the DVD headunit and TV in permantly do I need to take it all out and the dash off for them to work? Reason Im asking is I want th edirivng light on/off switch running to the rear wiper switch which doesnt do anything? Any ideas? Will it work as well. What else do I need to do so it doesnt f**k up since I would rather take me dash off then them.

Just get them to run the cable into the cabin for you and leave it there, then you can finish it off yourself.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

poke some wire down with a coat hanger instead of taking apart the dash

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Post subject: Re: Quick Driving Light Question
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:29 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

madmax wrote:
twirqurky wrote:

Just get them to run the cable into the cabin for you and leave it there, then you can finish it off yourself.

Dont know what Im doing well enough to do it myself. I sorta need those driving lights so i want it done properly.

Quote:
poke some wire down with a coat hanger instead of taking apart the dash

Its no issue getting the cable down to thru the engine bay (I want the lights in my brake ducts) but I need to hide a wire I missed from my DVD headunit install.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

Are you going to have them solely switched by the wiper switch you mentioned, or connected into the headlamp circuit? having them independantly on the wiper switch isnt a great idea, as you will then always have to turn them on independantly, as well as if you just turn them on, you wont get any of the other benefits of turning your headlights on (tail lights, dash illumination).

Best way to do it is to have them joined into the High beam circuit if they are driving lights, or the park lamp circuit if they are fog lights (like the new XR's etc) and then to also have the independant switch.

Doing it this way, the power line that will go to the relay for the new lights, will come from a headlight circuit (either high beam or park lamp) then through the wiper switch, to the relay.

If you decide to go with the park lamps (and MAKE SURE you adjust the light throw to on the ground as thats where it needs to be for fog and not to piss off other drivers) a good place to get the power wire is the disused head unit illumination, assuming you have an aftermarket head unit. this way its already inside the cabin and you just have to go from there to the wiper switch to the relay.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Hmm Im not sure I understand all that.

I want the switch to turn my lights on/off to the rear wiper switch. If its just that then they can be turned on without the headlights, goes to wasting battery.

If its wired into the high beam circuit then I can only use it on high beams, which is what I want. I jsut want the switch running to the rear wiper switch so that I can turn them on/off, but whilst only the headlights are on.

I intend to put them into my brake ducts area, make it look cleaner and hide them away.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well if you want them to come on with high beam lamps, as well as being able to switch them off if you need to (rear wiper switch) you will need to run a wire from the high beam circuit, through the rear wiper switch, to the relay for the new lights.

This will mean that whenever the wiper switch is on, and you turn your high beams on, the driving lights will also be on. Also if the high beams are on and you switch the wiper switch off, they will turn off.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
Well if you want them to come on with high beam lamps, as well as being able to switch them off if you need to (rear wiper switch) you will need to run a wire from the high beam circuit, through the rear wiper switch, to the relay for the new lights.

This will mean that whenever the wiper switch is on, and you turn your high beams on, the driving lights will also be on. Also if the high beams are on and you switch the wiper switch off, they will turn off.

Thats what I want. They should be able tod o that. Isnt there a legal way to do it?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i believe the legal way is running off the high beam circuit, as well as an indpendant switch, as described above. anyone with some electronic experience will be able to do it no worries, i did mine pretty quickly, mounting them was the hard part.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

if you want driving lights they have to be conected with your high beam Only, plus having an additional switch to turn them off. they have to turn off with your high beams.

foglamps (f**k anoying things) have to be connected seperatly from the headlights and also be switched.

As the QLD driving regulations say.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

voids wrote:
foglamps (f**k anoying things) have to be connected seperatly from the headlights and also be switched.

I was under the impression fog lights must be run off the park lamp circuit, as well as independatly switched, otherwise you could have them on without park lights, therefore also loosing tail lights and dash illumination etc.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:12 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:

I was under the impression fog lights must be run off the park lamp circuit, as well as independatly switched, otherwise you could have them on without park lights, therefore also loosing tail lights and dash illumination etc.

my drive lights are connected on a completly separate switch, independant of both the parkers & headlights - they run even if the car is off. i lose no tail lights or dash illumination... :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uglybob wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
voids wrote:

my drive lights are connected on a completly separate switch, independant of both the parkers & headlights - they run even if the car is off. i lose no tail lights or dash illumination... :?

I meant if they were connected seperatley, as yours are, and you ONLY turn them on, you would not have tail lights and dash illumination. Whereas if they are in a headlight circuit as well as a seperate switch, you can not turn them on without having at least the parkers on, meaning tail lights etc are also on.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Well dropped it off this morning about 830, still now ord, getitng a little concenred :? . Asked the guy if he could wire it into the rear wiper switch and he said no which is a bummer. Im more worried about the stuff in the car (TV, DVD) then the engine and s**t.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

So how they being wired up dylan? Just come on with headlights?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next