Ram AIR!! 

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Ram AIR!!
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

What are you wanting to know about, Cold Air Induction or Bonnet Scoops. The pic you posted in your first post has absolutly nothing to do with Cold air induction. XY Gt's used the Shaker which supplied Cold air direct to the carby. XA & XB/XC used vents which directed cold air near the Sports type airfilter where fitted. XW bonnet scoop was to cool the Braking Booster/Master Cylinder.

WRX and other Subaru's with bonnet scoops use these to supply cold air to the intercooler for the Turbo, same as the Territory Turbo.

EB GT, EL GT and EF/EL XR's use there bonnet scoops to allow hot air to exit the bonnet, some people have fitted the seqential scoop to the left scoop and supplied direct cold air into the airbox with the use of a Pod Filter. Cosworth scoops do the same thing, allow hot air out.

So please be clear in what information you require, we don't want a repeat of the Turbo Thread do we.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
So did you consider tunnel ram?

a tunnel ram is an intake manifold generally used in carby V8's, there a very high rise manifolds that leave the carby out of the bonnet....cold air.

mine just supplies more cold air then stock, coupled with an xr6t snorkle
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/sbc-offenhauser- ... 35a9a9124e

^^^ thats a tunnel ram

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Ok cold air intake connected to ram scoop on the bonnet, i didnt no what the vents were for on the other cars, just curious but ram air can describe all sorts cant it, intercooler cooling, air induction, whatever, whatever if air is being rammed....my question has been answered now were just talking about it all

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
Quote:
So did you consider tunnel ram?

a tunnel ram is an intake manifold generally used in carby V8's, there a very high rise manifolds that leave the carby out of the bonnet....cold air.

mine just supplies more cold air then stock, coupled with an xr6t snorkle
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/sbc-offenhauser- ... 35a9a9124e

^^^ thats a tunnel ram

oh awsome

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No Ram air is for induction. Happy that your question has been anwsered, just clearly asked questions get clearer anwsers and quicker responses.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nothing wrong with a good chat, if you can upgrade your intake i would suggest it. i run a pod in the air box that will be connect to the stainless intake im making....one circle and that snorkel pokes torwards gets super dirty quickly, i have a pod sock on the filter so just take it off and wash it then put it back on...to easy.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Dude, whats the rush, the question could have been corrected straight away but most guys got the gist of what i was asking, if i new what i was talking about i wouldnt have asked the question....would i??

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cold air induction is a good idea only problem is the EB/ED airbox realy dosen't lend itself to modiification like the EF/EL/AU airbox. Would need to fit a pod filter in the EB airbox to allow cold air mods. Good way is if fitted with the XR lights is to open holes in the left, passenger side of the airbox, this allows cold air which passes through the spaces around the XR lights a is directed into the area between the air box and the passeger inner guard.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
nothing wrong with a good chat, if you can upgrade your intake i would suggest it. i run a pod in the air box that will be connect to the stainless intake im making....one circle and that snorkel pokes torwards gets super dirty quickly, i have a pod sock on the filter so just take it off and wash it then put it back on...to easy.

I tried that man FAILED never got it to stick. I used those metelic ringed induction hoses, they suck, no flexibility so it wouldnt clamp, plust my box was sont sealed

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
Cold air induction is a good idea only problem is the EB/ED airbox realy dosen't lend itself to modiification like the EF/EL/AU airbox. Would need to fit a pod filter in the EB airbox to allow cold air mods. Good way is if fitted with the XR lights is to open holes in the left, passenger side of the airbox, this allows cold air which passes through the spaces around the XR lights a is directed into the area between the air box and the passeger inner guard.

Have use seen the hole in the floor idea some guys do....i wouldnt do it, to gritty plus on a hot day the road would have to relay heat massivly

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Are you still using the EB airbox with the log manifold? If you are a quick upgrade is the replace the connecting hose from the airbox to the throttle body with the EA hose, much larger and less restrictive.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
SWC wrote:

Have use seen the hole in the floor idea some guys do....i wouldnt do it, to gritty plus on a hot day the road would have to relay heat massivly

No does not introduce massive amounts of dirt, (you would be suprised the amount of dirt and s**t that collects in the bottom of an EF airbox), depends where you direct your duct pipe, also air is much colder than engine bay and think alll the air your engine uses with the factory snorkle comes from outside so does't matter where it's direct from outside temprature will be similar.

Last edited by SWC on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the more air the motor is getting the better. EB's are a little harder, have you tried a 3in ally or stainless bend from air box to T/B? or an EA one, bigger then eb's

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
the more air the motor is getting the better. EB's are a little harder, have you tried a 3in ally or stainless bend from air box to T/B? or an EA one, bigger then eb's

EA would be easier to fit, very tight space with the EB airbox and Log Manifold and you would need some flex for the motor.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

DormanAU wrote:

Yeah i have an XH snorkel Drift filter & an EA pipe from Box - T/B, is that any good?

SHAKE AND BAKE

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next