Ram AIR!! 

Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Ram AIR!!
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Probably good idea to fit the BBM with EL ECU and EF airbox and 3" SS pipe, though I believe that the original EF BBQ plate intake flow just as well, Better than the EL. AU intake is a good compromise if you don't like the EF and don't want the 3" pipework.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

im not an expert just a bloke who gets bored lots but its much better then stock.

what i do know is air doesnt like going around bends therefore people put mandrel bent pipes on.
mine is cut into a lobster back bend and welded up, not a smooth but its pretty good as im rural and no mandrel benders local

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
DormanAU wrote:
the more air the motor is getting the better. EB's are a little harder, have you tried a 3in ally or stainless bend from air box to T/B? or an EA one, bigger then eb's

Yeah i have an XH snorkel Drift filter & an EA pipe from Box - T/B, is that any good?

XH and EA pipe are a good upgrade on the stock system, you will get much better flow with the XH Snorkle as I am sure that you saw when you compared the 2 intakes. EB v XH

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
Probably good idea to fit the BBM with EL ECU and EF airbox and 3" SS pipe, though I believe that the original EF BBQ plate intake flow just as well, Better than the EL. AU intake is a good compromise if you don't like the EF and don't want the 3" pipework.

Im gonna turbo her, so im keeping the log for shorter intercooler pipe length, in saying that while its N/A want it good so ill just leave it a mod with turbo because ya gotta move the induction accross, but i wanna keep the stock box lol i like the look

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
im not an expert just a bloke who gets bored lots but its much better then stock.

what i do know is air doesnt like going around bends therefore people put mandrel bent pipes on.
mine is cut into a lobster back bend and welded up, not a smooth but its pretty good as im rural and no mandrel benders local

That is true that air does't like going round bends but if it must he larger the radius bend the better also the original EF intake opens up to allow better flow. I have test sheets somewhere that showed the EF and 3" pipes had little difference in CFM, with the EF having a little better velocity.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
DormanAU wrote:

That is true that air does't like going round bends but if it must he larger the radius bend the better also the original EF intake opens up to allow better flow. I have test sheets somewhere that showed the EF and 3" pipes had little difference in CFM, with the EF having a little better velocity.

Yeah to much air is a bad thing isnt it, there needs to be a ram factor

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
SWC wrote:

Im gonna turbo her, so im keeping the log for shorter intercooler pipe length, in saying that while its N/A want it good so ill just leave it a mod with turbo because ya gotta move the induction accross, but i wanna keep the stock box lol i like the look

If you are going to Turbo the Log Manifold is a better option than the BBM but you will need to do something about the Airbox. You will be drawning air from the Drivers side into the Turbo not from the Passenger side. If you intercool you won't have issues with heat but the pod willl still need to be enclosed for legality.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
SWC wrote:
DormanAU wrote:

Yeah to much air is a bad thing isnt it, there needs to be a ram factor

Old saying, "never to much cold air". But yes in an extreme case that can happen. It would be like running a Turbo with too small injectors or Fuel pump, system would lean out and "BANG". It is all in balance, but with NA you won't have these issues, MAP and remainder of system can handle the changes in mixture to compensate with and extra air you can get in there when NA.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

iv heard the hot plates flow really well, also read on dansgli thread it made something like 30kw more without the au intake...but thats forced, basically find something you happy with and stick with it.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
iv heard the hot plates flow really well, also read on dansgli thread it made something like 30kw more without the au intake...but thats forced, basically find something you happy with and stick with it.

When forced the bigger the intake pipe you can use the better, underbonnet usully restricts you to around 3" due to bonnet clearences.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Is it wise to scoop the bonnet to cool turbo? or because the turbo can run so hot, will it crack?

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED futura

NSW, Australia

i was under the impression you want the turbo to retain as much heat as possible.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

cuppas wrote:
i was under the impression you want the turbo to retain as much heat as possible.

Maybo some heat like a car but, why woul u want a turbo to run mega hot?

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

u ask stupid questions man look at this they run em red hot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuMayMAoUbU&feature=related

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED futura

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
cuppas wrote:

Maybo some heat like a car but, why woul u want a turbo to run mega hot?

because you want to limit the loss of energy from the exhaust gases through heat dissipation. or something. the more heat you can keep in it, the more energy stays in the exhaust gases.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next