Fordmods Logo

Real White wall tyres Legal?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Real White wall tyres Legal??
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: nl fairlane

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, now i know the white walls you see around on cars today are illegal, apart from the impala's and caddys ect.

But are the real ones ya see on the classics legal in Victoria?? :? Because its the only way for me to get whiet walls that are legal, and i realy want a set lol :D

Post subject: Re: Real White wall tyres Legal??
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
Why on earth are they illegal?

I have them on my car. I'm not in VIC but I can't understand why they are illegal?

they couldnt be ilegal, tyre still does the same job weather its painted red white blue purle baby s**t brown or even BLACK! :roll: lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

illegal due to them shaving down a groove in the wall, even only being thin, it apparently compromises integrity and strength.
but still plenty doing it, don't hear of any problems.
there also people doing "legal" whitewalls, which i'm pretty sure is just a buff of the wall and then paint, doesn't last as long im guessing.
either way, as soon as i've got a nice set of wheels, i'll be going whitewalls.
search Instant Whitewalls on facebook, seems decent.

be good or be good at it.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

This is the first I've heard of them being illegal - and I definately don't get why the'yd be illegal generally - but OK on a few random US cars - THAT makes no sense at all.

If it IS true that they are illegal then the other way to go is what lots of the custom guys do - (only thing is I can't think of exactly what they call them) what it is, if you can imagine, is vrtually just the white bit only of a whitewall tyre - soo, you have regular tyres, you deflate them and slip on these white bits which are like a donut shape but flat - when you reinflate the tyre they sit snugly against the tyre and you can't really tell that they are not part of the tyre.. the huge advantage of this would be that you're not limited in any way by the tyre itself, so any size, tread type, width etc would work...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

yeah only found out as i was interested in whitewall when i first got my license, a friend mentioned it and google confirmed it.
nowadays i wouldn't be worried about legal issues, seems they'd have a hard time giving you crap for it i recon, only thing holding me back now is wheel choice and need of newer tyres.
i google'd what you were on about, their called "flappers" pretty cool looking but apparently they're known to go yellow, and come loose at higher speeds, idk but.
also i believe some tyres come out factory whitewalled, so it'd mean coppers would be going out of their way to check for legitamacy.
fk it, just get some!

be good or be good at it.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The white walls done by the likes of redvan etc nowdays are illegal.
They are illegal because they chop out a groove in the side wall to paint , weakening the tyre and taking the load marking etc off them.
A correctly made set of whitewalls is fine as the white wall is actually included in the tyres construction and nothing is compromised.
The slip ins are perfectly legal too just a pain in the a***.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
The white walls done by the likes of redvan etc nowdays are illegal.
They are illegal because they chop out a groove in the side wall to paint , weakening the tyre and taking the load marking etc off them.
A correctly made set of whitewalls is fine as the white wall is actually included in the tyres construction and nothing is compromised.
The slip ins are perfectly legal too just a pain in the a***.

these are the ones i thought he was talking about which are made from new, when your talking about cutting a tyre of course its going to be illegal, i never knew of the dodgy way until now lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: nl fairlane

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys, ive heard alot story's that white walls are illegal but didnt know who to believe, But now i know haha time to start saving my coin, so i can roll on the real white walls.

Cheers lowlane98

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]