Fordmods Logo

removal of EF front coild springs yo 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: removal of EF front coild springs yo
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hi chaps, I have a set of king springs sitting around for my EF & want to put them in. I have had a look at the Gregory's and the rear seems easy enough, but the explanation for the front has me rattled. Is it that hard and could a mere amature do it? I'm not retarded on the tools, it's just that I haven't done it before. I was going to get them put in by pedders when I got shocks, bushes etc. done by them as the stocko suspension is getting a bit rough, But I know have an alcohol interlock put in the car for 6 months and I don't have the patience to wait.. I have spring compressors. Are there any epic tutorials on this?

she dream't she was a bulldozer, she dream't she was alone in a field

Post subject: Re: removal of EF front coild springs yo
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

hardest part is to pop the balljoints. :lol:
rears are easy.
Much easier if you have something for popping ball joints, there a tool for it called a tuning fork, well it sure as hell just looks like an industrial version, don't ask me for a proper name.

Otherwise a few swift hits to the hub, will generally pop em, (not on the ball joint like you'd think), although, I've never quite had the nack for this, I think I just get frustrated because I see mates do it, and it just pops, as I'm always expecting first whack, and then patience f**k off, 1 thing I've just never got. :twisted:

otherwise it aint that hard, but depending what height springs you may well need lowered shocks, otherwise you'll be like me with the struts haveing less the 10mm travel, hey only an inch off bumpstops though.
f**k ride because your shocks are always being bottomed out they'll last a few months if that.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

U don't have to remove the ball joint to put in front shocks .
Just undo the 'U' shaped bracket that connects the ball joint to the body.
Use 2x 17mm ring spanners to undo the 2 bolts. Spray the bolts in wd40 if they won't come out.
U may have to tap them out with a punch or lever with a pinch bar.

When u put them back in smear them in anti sieze and they will slip straight in.
If they foul on the spring when ur taking them out u can jack up the spring on the lower control arm to compress the spring.

Then pull towards you and the shock will drop down with that bracket hanging off the upper control arm.
To get the spring out u may need another person to lever the upper control arm down, then pull the spring out .

Sounds hard but it's easy .
I'm not sure how you'd get the spring out without removing that 'U' bracket

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
OZBMX wrote:
hardest part is to pop the balljoints. :lol:
rears are easy.
Much easier if you have something for popping ball joints, there a tool for it called a tuning fork, well it sure as hell just looks like an industrial version, don't ask me for a proper name.

Otherwise a few swift hits to the hub, will generally pop em, (not on the ball joint like you'd think), although, I've never quite had the nack for this, I think I just get frustrated because I see mates do it, and it just pops, as I'm always expecting first whack, and then patience f**k off, 1 thing I've just never got. :twisted:

otherwise it aint that hard, but depending what height springs you may well need lowered shocks, otherwise you'll be like me with the struts haveing less the 10mm travel, hey only an inch off bumpstops though.
f**k ride because your shocks are always being bottomed out they'll last a few months if that.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BALL JOINTS TO CHANGE SPRINGS.

YOu may have to change the struts (shocks) for the front if going from standrad to lowered

That you don't, just undo the Upper control arm mounts from in the engine bay!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks for replying chaps, i'm replacing the shocks too now. cheers. :D

she dream't she was a bulldozer, she dream't she was alone in a field

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]