Fordmods Logo

Remove Rust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Remove Rust
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Holden WK Statesman

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, I have just bought a 4x4 ute to tow the boat and it has rust, mainly on the tray doors (pic of one below). What is the best way to remove it, i thought of just sanding it all off, what other suggestions do you guys have?

The People's Dog

Post subject: Re: Remove Rust
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

Quote:
there are 3 types of rust and ill tell u how to get rid of all 3.

1st is light surface rust which sounds like most of yours.

1st get some sand paper and it depends on the amount of rust as to which grade to use. i usually use anything between a 80 git for rougher to 600 grip for really light stuff. sand most of the flaky or loose rust off. then get the dust and crap off using a cloth or a air compressor. then apply rust converter and leave overnight. the rust should now all be coverted abck to metal. then what i do is use some rust kill spay paint and paint over the area to prevent it happening again.

2nd is rougher surface where its flaky or u might get a tiny hole, say u can poke a small finger through.

get a wire brush and brush away all the flaky stuff, u could also use 80 grit sandpaper to finish it up. then as above clean and apply rust converter. then if u need to fill in any small hole i like to use some "need it steel" stuff u can buy from bunnnigs from the paint/glue department. it come in a small tube and looks like blu tac. need it in your fingers and its soft like blu tac and then u apply it to the small rust hole u want to fill and in a couple hours it goes rock hard almost like steel. this is alot better and stronger than bog. then paint over with rust kill paint to prevent from happening again.

3rd is when there is a fairly big hole and u will have to weld a plate. basicalyl cut away all the rust until there is only metal and basically weld a plate over it. if u know how to weld u will knoiw what to do otherwise u will have to find someone to do it. then when its welded apply rust kill paint.

thats basically how to repair rust but once all that is done u can now also rust proof your car. erps is good if u have very small rust and its fixed or no rust and want to prevent it. i dont know much about it but i like to see under my car whats covered and whats starting to rust so i use the chemicall stuff.

get a underbody rustproofing from supercheap ans u can apply it everywhere under your car basically except exhaust and oiled/greased stuff. u can spray or paint brush it on. it will form a flexible thick sort of coating that will prevent the salt water toching your metal therfore stopping rust. i just put some all under my zook this week and u need to let it dry for 2 weeks, note u can still drive your car but not offroad.

and for your inside of your doors and stuff like that u use a wax based product in a spray can called tectyl 506 rust preventive. the reason u use this inside doors and alike is that if u use it underneath your car sand will stick to it because it will always stay tacky.

u will have to fix the rust yourself but if u want someone to rust proof it profesionally there is a small place that is really good in moorooka and they will spray under your car for $160 and it looks really neat. i did a test patch of their stuff after i bought the rust proof from supercheap and i like theirs better and its the same price for a 4L tin. their number is 38924992.

i got this from a 4wd forum hope it helps mate :wink:

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

easiest way is to have them sandblased and powdercoated,
if doing it yourself sand with dry freecut good quality paper till you get shiny metal, start with 80 grit (good stuff lasts longer),
then 180, then 320,a decent wire wheel on a drill is good too
then maybe use some epoxy killrust style primer/paint
lots of brands and tints available at bunnings or your local paint shops etc

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Holden WK Statesman

VIC, Australia

Cheers guys

The People's Dog

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

metal mend will be a b**ch to sand
just use a fibreglass reinfored filler and bog to smooth off if you end up with holes
fish oil or cavity wax are good for inside your doors/stills but don't get wax on your window regs as it will kill them
kbs would be better than the "bitumin" tar based paint the article refered to
it comes as a kit for around $70

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]