Fordmods Logo

replacing Fake chrome strips 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: replacing Fake chrome strips
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Na Fairlane

VIC, Australia

i was wondering if anybody has any ideas on replacing the chrome stripping from around the front and rear bumper and on the extrenal door trims, you know how the plastic covering splits off and the fake chrome flakes out, and they get dirt in there.

cos it looks terrible and no matter how many people my fairlane looks neat, resprayed, lowered and with 17 inch au ticky's, all i ever see is that crappy cracked dirty fake chrome.

i was contemplating ripping it all out smoothing it over with fibreglass but i'd never be able to match the stippled effect of the bumpers, and anyway i love the way the chrome contrasted the bumpers and door trims

9mm one size fits all

89 Na Fairlane, Resprayed prestige silver, Lowered with munrow shocks and springs, 17x8 Au II tickford rims, ED xr6 engine, T-5 transmission, 3-2-1 luckey extractors, full 2-1/2 inch luckey exhuast with single luckey turbo muffler and hotdog resonator.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

if your reffering to the chrome strips on the doors im pretty sure they are just chrome sticky tape. ive got the no. of a guy who can fix this if you would like it

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Na Fairlane

VIC, Australia

yeah, the chrome strips on the doors and bumpers, they look like a chrome sticky tape but i wasn't sure if they were, i've never seen anything similar for sale in auto shop's, you have any idea where i can get it, i like to do all the work to my car myself, it cheaper and moneys tight

9mm one size fits all

89 Na Fairlane, Resprayed prestige silver, Lowered with munrow shocks and springs, 17x8 Au II tickford rims, ED xr6 engine, T-5 transmission, 3-2-1 luckey extractors, full 2-1/2 inch luckey exhuast with single luckey turbo muffler and hotdog resonator.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

If the fairlane strip are anything like the EA falcon ones, then the chrome on the doors will be moulded into the strip and not replaceable. A mate of mine has a NC and he had replaced all his.

The chrome in the bumpers however is replaceable.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

good luck.. i spent 6 months trying to find alternatives. ended up painting them red.. they dont look as good as chrome needless to say. id like to see pics of ur car too! trephil@hotmail.com if u have any. im gonna buy an nc next so that will probalby have peeling chrome too so i want an answer.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

yeah the ones on the bumpers can be replaced but the ones on the doors are sticky tape like ive seen this sort of tape at kmart but it looks a little thin but then again ive havent actually compared the two. give ford a call and see if they can hook you up with it. alternativly try rare spares. i dont have the no for rare spares but their web site is www.rarespares.net.au/. also as mentioned before i can give you the No. to a guy who does this sot of thing maybe he can tell you where to get it from.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

chrome tape can be obtained from people who do pinstriping or vinyl signs/signwriting

Banned

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

hi fellahs,
can you replace the chrome striping on the side mouldings of el fairmonts as mentioned, or do you need to replace the whole moulding?

thanks,
Julza

2003 Lightning Strike BA XR6

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Julza wrote:
hi fellahs,
can you replace the chrome striping on the side mouldings of el fairmonts as mentioned, or do you need to replace the whole moulding?

thanks,
Julza

On the EL fairmont the chrome strip is seperate from the moulding. It is a thick plastic chrome strip that sit in a groove in the moulding, the ends just tuck in. You should be able to remove and replace them without removing the moulding from the door.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
Julza wrote:
hi fellahs,

thanks,
Julza

On the EL fairmont the chrome strip is seperate from the moulding. It is a thick plastic chrome strip that sit in a groove in the moulding, the ends just tuck in. You should be able to remove and replace them without removing the moulding from the door.

hey madmax thanks for that. I went in to ford today and was quoted $26 per door :x . Is this a good price or should i look elsewhere?

regards,
Julza

2003 Lightning Strike BA XR6

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

WA, Australia

i just got some chrome spray paint, taped up around it and sprayed it. It is not as shiny as the tape but it was quick and easy cos the tape is real thin and fradgile. Looks good in the sun and reflects light pretty good

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: HOT EL

VIC, Australia

dont 3M make a chrome tape?

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

ScottFiske wrote:
dont 3M make a chrome tape?

They do, i have some but it's too narrow to cover the red section on the moulding on an eb. Sure they make it thicker than what i have though. If the original is flaking off though, the tape will come off with it.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: HOT EL

VIC, Australia

someone must make it if ford use it.. Lets make it a mission to find out.. i am sure most of us here would love to get out hands on it... GOOD POST !

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Julza wrote:
madmax wrote:
Julza wrote:
hi fellahs,

thanks,
Julza

hey madmax thanks for that. I went in to ford today and was quoted $26 per door :x . Is this a good price or should i look elsewhere?

regards,
Julza

That seems a bit steep to me, though I haven't priced it yet. Once you get a piece out from one door take it to Bursons, Repco etc and see if they can match it up for you. I believe they can as some years back I replaced some in the bars on a XF ghia and I bought it from Bursons in a roll long enough to do both bars. Sorry I don't remember how much it cost.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next