Fordmods Logo

rust in rear of a 68 fairlane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: rust in rear of a 68 fairlane
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

SA, Australia

hi there im new to this so i hope someone can help.i have a 68 fairlane i picked up cheap,but has rust along the boot behind the bumper bar.i'm hoping that someone could tell me where,if at all,i could buy a replacment panel that could be welded in.i'm in the adelaide area.your help will be greatfull.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I had the same rust in my LTD.

I made the panel myself, but for my model rare spares had a replacement. Maybe they have one for yours?

If not, go and see a metal fabricator, they may be kind enough to make one for you. :)

Andrew.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

give american autos a call in your local area and ask them. if not just see a local panel shop and they will 9 times outa 10 they will help. what area are you in?

Go The Mighty Falcon.

2004 BA XR6 FORD FALCON
COLD AIR INTAKE, FLASH TUNER, 2 1/2 PERFORMANCE EXHAUST, JOHN BOWE SIGNATURE SERIES BILLLET THROTTLE BODIE, REFLECTIVE TINT, CLARION 5X7 WITH INBUILT CAPACITOR,NOW WITH FUSION ENCOUNTER 10 IN SUB+AMP, RED SMOOTH CALIPERS, BUT STILL ONE NUTS DRIVER.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Remove your rear bar,pick at the paint with a screw driver to find out how much more rust has affected the area which is called the beaver panel.You can buy the rust repair sections,they arent badly priced either but if you can cut and weld should be a piece of cake.Measure up the area to be repaired go down to your local metal shop and tell them you want a sheet of i think they call it blue steel which is similar gauge to the body of the fairlane.Then cut the whole old panel out clean up the edges on the where you have cut so you can tack it with a mig and then either brass it or even tig weld it.(just make sure when you cut the new panel make it slightly larger so it overlaps,makes easier to tack into place/also dont use a mig to weld it all up just use it to tack it in place,what will happen is that you will blow holes in the sheet of metal).Once you have gotten that far,you can either fill it with led or just clean the surface with wax and grease remover and use body filler to even out the imperfections.Then sand to make it smooth.Then seal it the paint the inside and out side and make sure you seal it with fish oil inside the boot and your done.
Hope that helps.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]