Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: some new rims for my car
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

FORDom wrote:
18" typhoon wheels (also available cobra's and gt's) $799, plus $480 for a set of tyres plus delivery..

= roughly $1420 with a wheel alignment..

Woaahhh, $480 for tyres on 18"s? What sort of garbage could that possibly be?

$800 is more realistic for a decent set of tyres, isn't it?

Maybe $700 if you know the right people?

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

yep they do state that they are "value for money" and are actually $460 for the set..

$600-$740 for a set of better Nexens...

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef ford

ACT, Australia

morgasam back

Again I thank you for the replies

I read this thing about offset, I have no idea what this means

can you please help me?

I saw the same car again last night and somehow was able to get close to it

the car was very fast and loud,

to have a look on the back near the spolier it had the letters

GTP FPV on there

those wheels are what I want on my car

Morgasam : The shocker is effective

Morgasam : the whole lot in 1 package!

yer baby!

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

*shakes head* i wouldnt even bother tryin to help such a troubled child like yourself

Team EGO

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Morgasam wrote:
morgasam back

Again I thank you for the replies

I read this thing about offset, I have no idea what this means

can you please help me?

I saw the same car again last night and somehow was able to get close to it

the car was very fast and loud,

to have a look on the back near the spolier it had the letters

GTP FPV on there

those wheels are what I want on my car

Morgasam : The shocker is effective

Oh man...

Here we go...

There are many many measurements that come into wheel fitment...

Assuming its a Falcon...

There is PCD: Pitch Circle Diameter if you drew a circle through the centres of your wheel studs and measured the diameter... You would have this measurement... A Falcon PCD is 5x114.3 Meaining 5 studs and they are 114.3mm (4.5inches) in diameter, commodores are 120mm in diameter

Next there is offset Falcons have two most recognisable... From EL falcon backwards and From AU falcon forward... you haven't told us your model? Offset is complicated so try to follow... This is the distance from the mounting face of the inside of the wheel to the centre of the rim where the tyre fits... See here...

Attachment:
Offset.JPG
Offset.JPG [ 4.67 KiB | Viewed 1471 times ]

Sorry its so crude but hopefully it makes sense...

Now older falcons or Pre AU as the wheels that suit are entitled... Have offsets or around +6mm to plus 11mm... this means the centre of the rim and the mounting face are almost inline... Modern Faclons run around 35 to 40 if that sounds right to everyone? So if you picture the hub face doesn't move... The higher offset moves the tyre further under the car... and trust me a Post AU wheel will NOT fit on a Pre AU vehicle... Dad is a ford mechanic and we tried... the wheel hits on the strut... Now the less wide a rim is the less overall it sits under a car... so a 5 or 6inch wide wheel with 35mm offset might go on... but because a 7 inch plus wheel is wider... they hit on the struts... In saying this... a negative offset wheel (not very common) or very close to zero... means the tyre (relative to the hub face) sits more out of the car... now bring the spoke back under the car and you can have a big deep dish before the spokes start... making the rims appear wider... seen here...

Attachment:
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1887.jpg [ 60.21 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Which I am a fan of and having an ED falcon I can easily have this look...

There are several more measurements including back spaces and calliper diameters... Unless you have after market massive breaks and things of the sort these really don't matter...

The only other thing... not sure how other ford modding legends on here find them... But 18's up with small profile tyres might look great... But they are not practical... not comfortable and because the way the tyre walls can't flex the same... seem to go through tyres like they are going out of fashion... and as you've seen in previous posts... 19" tyres aren't cheap... and even good 18's are dear... wouldn't want to have your girlfriend in there on unsafe tyres now would you?

I have 15" rims... i have never had cop attention in all of my 2.5 years of driving my mates with 17"+ rims always do... Also i get good suspension out of my tyres... and they are 225 60 series and still look like brand new... wear extremely even...

So hopefully now you can see that the wheels and tyres that look good to you... are actually a geometrical master piece to those of us more spatially minded...

Hope it makes sense...

Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

i was under the impression that 7.5" ones fit in pre-au, i.e. EL's

i was never sure and just assumed that the 8's were too wide to fit

despite my somewhat lack of knowledge on wheel sizes (definitely not my forte), your diagram and explanation seemed good, made sense and was quite logical, nice work

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hello again,

Yes all varies greatly... wheels are very complicated... some other measurements that might help you are described in the following order form from the "Show Wheels" website...

Just some more browsing pleasure...

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments:
Showwheels.pdf [116.49 KiB]
Downloaded 266 times

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6, EA Brock Falcon

VIC, Australia

ebay is the way to go but ur looking at 1000 for fakes, that is in are pre au still look the same dont know how much 19'' tyres cost

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:

The only other thing... not sure how other ford modding legends on here find them... But 18's up with small profile tyres might look great... But they are not practical... not comfortable and because the way the tyre walls can't flex the same... seem to go through tyres like they are going out of fashion... and as you've seen in previous posts... 19" tyres aren't cheap... and even good 18's are dear... wouldn't want to have your girlfriend in there on unsafe tyres now would you?

Lol.
Have you been in a car with 18s and half decent suspension? I run 235/45/17s and cant tell the difference in ride quality between them and my 205/65/15 stockies. Kings Superlows and Pedders touring shocks, factory tickford everything else.

We recently fitted a set of 18s to my mates mont which is running my old XR6 springs, minus half a coil on the rear. Sits a touch higher than my car, but even with 235/40/18s the ride is even better than mine.

Only reasons why you'll chew thru larger tyres - fkd wheel alignment, no camber kit.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

no not really... don't like them... like i said not really sure... my 15's are great... plus i have great tyres and they are $100 a piece... 18's are what 150 or 200 a piece for good tyres? (not sure never bought them)...

But yeah thats true in saying that most people... esp those young people that seem to think those 4 cylinder buzz boxes are all the rage run those big rims and probably never bother spending the bit extra to set them up properly...

my car with 15's and pedders lowest springs (greys) is reasonably rough (although out here in the country our roads aren't overly flash either) but in saying that... really responsive... only thing i'd to do to make it feel a little more positive is upgrade the standard shocks to something more proper for the height...

but yeah that's me... not really big on 18's... just adds more expense... 17 inch tyres are reasonably priced? any people out there with good opinions on tyres for 17's? as am looking at a nice set of 17's atm...

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dont like it when people comment about something theyve never had.. ie you and 18s.

For $100 your 15" tyres arent the greatest.. so you wont know what to think when you get good tread on 17s/18s.
I currently have bridgestone and dunlops on my 17s, and theyre fukin awesome. 10x better than my 205 15" Pirellis.
Theres not a big price difference between 17s and 18s, both start at about $150, with Nexens being probably the best $ for $ tyre.. tho obviously not as good as Toyo Proxes 4 which are like $300 for a 17.

Dont think I dont know about s**t roads either. The Pacific hwy where I live is the s**t part of the entire hwy by far.... I mean I live in a country town with s**t patched up roads and corrugated dirt tracks.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Not sure never been there... but i'll take your word for it... nothing like driving on Canberra roads hey?

And honestly i find your remarks degrading... i'm not out to offend... i'm offering my opinion and my help... i don't claim to know all about everything and if you your wiser about these then i rightfully stand corrected... i have no issue with what your saying... if your more helpful then me, maybe commenting before when this post was put up ages ago... no one seemed to be helping so i tried my best a human being... please don't feel the need to put me down... not everything everyone says is completely right... just read the many forums one here... everyone is none the wiser at one point in time... like i said... doing my best to help where the space wasn't already filled...

i'm am one here to help and learn... this is what i've heard from friends with 18's... i don't know many with 18's one large cars... know a few who have had them on small cars (common for scrubbing) hence why i mentioned it... and thanks to you i now know that 18's on large cars work fine... like i said... help and learn...

back on the tyres topic... i have supercats atm and find these to be pretty good... wearing super even... top grip... old girl almost lacks the power to spin them in the dry... I've been driving for 2 years and started off with no namers on there when i bought it and then got these supercats... found them to be good... Had any experience with these?

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lol degrading, are you one of these new metro sexual mushy feeling guys???

No one bothered replying seriously because this guy is obviously taking the piss. He wants us to direct him to stolen wheels FFS.

I dont like people commenting on stuff they have no experience with, thats all.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

well yes i understand that... and i did re read it... its not my experience... its things i've heard around about... i thought i put that in but i must've jumped to another topic in my head when i was typing and forgot to add that bit in... i do apologise...

Well yes i noticed it does sound suss... just trying to help explain to those who things mags are just a pretty shape what sorts of geometry are involved...

like you said... the tyres are big money... and so are these particular rims from what i understand... so not likely to be afforded with that particular occupation...

one other query for you... your ride is lowered with kings you say, i have pedders... do you tow much weight? i have been renovating my house recently and i find that with 6x4 trailer loads of bricks and rubble etc the back lowered springs don't take extra weight real well... and sag down further quite easily... like not that anything rubs etc etc... just makes the back a fair bit lower than the front... curious if you find the kings any stiffer with extra weight?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next