Fordmods Logo

Tips on Polishing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Tips on Polishing
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II XR8 UTE Pursuit 200

QLD, Australia

Hey guys, i currently resprayed my ute, now its time to polish it. Im going to buy a polisher, what should i look at? also what is the best polish to use to get the best finish. I tried doing some by hand and i was getting a decent result but just not as good as i want.

Cheers
Lachlan

Post subject: Re: Tips on Polishing
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

xr8p200 wrote:
Hey guys, i currently resprayed my ute, now its time to polish it. Im going to buy a polisher, what should i look at? also what is the best polish to use to get the best finish. I tried doing some by hand and i was getting a decent result but just not as good as i want.

Cheers
Lachlan

Get some autoglym super resin polish
If you want a really deep show car shine you will have to wax it aswell after you polish it
I cant recommend a good wax but the new meguires tech wax is apparently pretty good.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Check out Aurora 98's threads on detailing if you want the best tips, but personally if u want something that will look good for cheapish money (as stated) then go with 2 or more passes of Autogylm Super Resin Polish then add a coat of the Extra Gloss protection then go the Megs Tech Wax. make sure if its done by hand use foam or MF applicator pads and after each pass spray some quick detailer, to improve the slickness and shine even more. I use all three products when i do hand polishes for friends/family etc. and the results are always very good with that line IMO.. but not the best, just check out the threads if ur unsure.

If your going to do it with a DA Rotary or orbital polisher be sure to use the right type of pads for the polish you use, make sure the pads stay lubed and with the more powerful machine polishers make sure u dont stay on the same area for too long otherwise u will damage the new respray.

Hope this helps

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ok so i take it this is all done after i get rid of the orange peel in the clear. It is a bit of an ordinary finish on the clear as it was sprayed under my patio and a little bit of wind picked up so there is dry over spray all over it( no dirt luckily)
Lachlan

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ok guys, i had a bit of advice from a bloke at the local panel beaters. He told me to attack the orange peel with some 1200 grit then hit it with a cut. What is everyones thought on this? I tried this on a small section but still taking a bit of work. Is it possible to do a VERY wet clear coat over the whole thing to try to get it a bit smoother?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]